how many GT40's in the world

Ron Earp

Admin
Wow.

If SPF has sold 94 GT40s in basically the last year or so, then with the additional GT40s being sold the ZF market would have to be seriously dried up. I really have no idea as to how many ZFs are in the US/Europe, but I can't imagine that the supply would not be highly stresses with this volume and folks might be in for a wait for a transaxle.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/tech-powertrain-transaxles/20066-rbt-where-you.html#post175617

Be interesting to see if they hit targets of 2.5 months.

My understanding is that while Lloyd Butfoy owns all the rights and tooling for the ZF transaxle, he subcontracts the actual manufacture of certain critical components. He has to assemble an inventory of all parts prior to building a "run" of boxes. He has been slowed of late awaiting certain suppliers of parts which must be heat treated and/or microsurfaced. Supposedly there is light at the end of that supply tunnel and he will be catching up soon. I'll be patient where quality control is involved.

My ERA GT is #2077 and is now approx. two years old. I would think that they are now at approx. 90 cars delivered or in process.

Jim

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
OK, clearly I'm easily amused and have too much time on my hands, but I'm enjoying this. Keep those numbers coming! Here's what we have so far along with source:

ERA: about 90 - Jim Holden
RF: about 115 – Ron’s est plus a few
CAV: about 100—120 ESTIMATE
GTD: made about 300—400max ESTIMATE
KVA: 100 ESTIMATE
DAX: under 30 – Ref: Ian Anderson
GT40NA/NZ: 10 ESTIMATE
DRB: 83 – Mike Dozier
Tornado: 300 ESTIMATE
MDA: 15 ESTIMATE
RCR: 37 – confirmed by Fran Hall
Superformance: 94 - confirmed HiTech Auto
BEC (Bailey Edwards Cars): 10 - Larry
Misc Scratch-built/RML/Sabre/others: 30 - Mark Worthington, Colin Artus

We're getting close to 1500 cars, a number of which are clearly not on the road.

You are missing the orginal gt40s built in the 60s by FAV (MKI to MKIV) which should account for 110+ cars and the new Ford GT which are 4,000+ (it has the shape). Even with the new Ford GT most people does not know what is or was the Ford GT40.

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Mark Charlton said:
... how many GT40 replicas exist world-wide and came up with about 1000 (not including the originals). It's kind of fun knowing that our cars are four times more rare than the new Ford GT.:D

Not really missing them, just more interested in figuring out what isn't a well-known total.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Mark,

About the KVAs, I know from discussions with Ken Atwell that over 400 KVA GT40 were sold as kits, over a ten year period, prior to his retirement and selling the company to Integrity Coach Works in Florida back in 1992. So ad that to your total.

As a sidebar, "Integrity" Coach Works did see fit to renege on allowing Ken to finish his deal with me to produce the cars in Canada under the KVA name. One of the two sets of molds and proof body/chassis sent to "Integrity" was mine. Still have the contract...

Interestingly enough, Autofutura has completed chassis number 133, there's some significance to that:) Glad to represent their product.

Cheers

Ron Earp

Admin
Ian,

How did John Donnely and his Sabre company play into that? And, was Sabre the same as Integrity? My understanding is that the old Sabre stuff is back in Canada and was going to be used my another manufactuer.

Ron

Howard Jones

Supporter
I would really like to know how many GT40's are RUNNING worldwide. I am sure there are a lot of them that will never be completed or have been destroyed. But how many are on the road or track today? Is it 300ish or 1000ish? I bet we can figure it out within 10-15%.

Ron do you know how many completed running cars belong to members of this forum? My guess is less than a 100. I also think that 2 years form now that number will double.

I would think if we can come up with a fairly close number for the US, UK, and Australia and New Zealand we will have about 70% of the total worldwide.

Last edited:

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Ron,

I'm not able to say with any certainty what happened during or after the time Integrity took over.

My understanding from discussions with John Donnely, after he bought the tooling from the IRS (that's another story), is that the molds were trashed from exotherm. The KVA molds were in excellent condition when shipped out however they require a high level of skill to lay up in since they were quite thin in comparison to what you'd expect, in say the boat business.

I believe John reworked the molds and sorted out several other abominations before giving up on the project. As for where the molds are know and what condition they're in I don't know or need to know.

Interestingly enough there was a set of GT40 molds in Canada as far back as 1965-66. They were used to make spares for North American based race teams and produced in Paris Ontario. The company is long gone as are the molds. It is customary to destroy tooling not returned to the manufacturer and as the company involved was an OEM supplier to Ford of composite moldings I'm sure that was the case.

Also, I found out a few years back that the fiberglass hoods, decklids and nose moldings for all Shelby Mustangs were produced in Toronto and shipped to Shelby in CA back in the day.

Although not related to anything CAV Canada is doing, there are glass shops here producing GT40 parts again for export... and so the world turns.

Cheers

Ron Earp

Admin
Howard Jones said:
Ron do you know how many completed running cars belong to members of this forum? My guess is less than a 100. I also think that 2 years form now that number will double.
I think so too. With the large numbers of new members joining and asking about SPF cars it appears that SPF have a significant lock down on the turnkey car market. The sheer numbers they have sold to date is large, in my opinion, and GT40 enthusiasts are coming out of the woodwork. Clearly the turnkey cars in most cases will hit the road before self built cars, so the numbers will rise.

I'll make a poll and see how many we have. I used to know about 3/4 years ago how many there were and it was way under 100 running cars.

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/poll-place/20133-how-many-running-gt40s-belong-forum-members.html#post176175

Ron

Howard

You ask a good question. I assumed virtually all CAV's are running, and at least 50 % of ERA's are running given the completeness of their kit and income level of typical ERA owner. So that means well over 100 replicas are running in the US/Canada, but I suspect a large percent are not regular contributors. Most of our contributors are those in the build process since that's the time we need to exchange ideas and ask questions.

Obviously the largest population (KVA/GTD/Tornado) are based in the UK,
with nearly 1,000 kits sold. Question is how many were completed?
Our friends across the pond probably have a better idea....but I'd be surprised
if more than 50 % are running cars. Still that's 500...many more than FAV...
but a lot less than the new GT. Interesting....

MikeD

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Mark

Your estimate for our production figure is way off.

Remember we started production in 1989 ( Over 17 years ago) so according to your figures we have averaged just 17 cars per year?????

I think you need to double your figure and add some.

Andy

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Andy Sheldon said:
Mark
Remember we started production in 1989 ( Over 17 years ago) so according to your figures we have averaged just 17 cars per year?????
Andy

Thanks for chiming in Andy. I meant no disrespect with the estimated numbers. Indeed, I trolled the forum for all number estimates and gathered them all here with reference for source if there was a credible one.

It would be great if you would be specific about the total number of Tornados so we can continue improving the accuracy of the numbers. Even 17 cars per year is a hell of a lot, if you ask me. There were many years that DeTomaso produced the Pantera in similar volumes. In fact, 17 years of continuous production must be close to, if not THE record for longest production of a GT40 replica. Yes?

Andy Sheldon

Tornado Sports Cars
GT40s Sponsor
Mark

Yes you are correct. 17 years and counting is a world record and a record we are very proud of at Tornado!

I seriously doubt any other 40 manufacturer will last longer or produce more cars.

We have seen Manufacturers come and go and then in some cases come back and go again often taking customers deposits with them.

This is why we promote our company as the Worlds leading Manufacturer of GT40 replicas.

At the moment there are lots of other companies trying to jump on the band wagon, but the band wagon belongs to Tornado.

We have produced just over 800 kits and cars to date.

Thanks

Andy

I've got GT40 Replication, Ltd chassis number 31. It was the first car in the US and there were at least three more brought in after that. I believe Neal in WA, Alain in KS, and Dennis out east got cars after mine. I also believe that Phil Ware, the original GT40 Replications guy, numbered his chassis serially from his own #1.

And no, my car isn't exactly on the road yet...

Scott

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Latest updated numbers:

ERA: about 90 - Jim Holden
RF: about 115 – Ron’s est plus a few
CAV: 133 - Ian Clarke
GTD: made about 300—400max ESTIMATE
KVA: 175 (25 MK3, 150 MK1) - Roger Green, Evo magazine 09/04
DAX: under 30 – Ref: Ian Anderson
GT40NA/NZ: 43 (10 NA plus 33 NZ) - Ref: ESTIMATE plus Scott (hoverducky)
DRB: 83 – Mike Dozier
Tornado: 800 - confirmed Andy Sheldon
MDA: 15 ESTIMATE
RCR: 37 – confirmed by Fran Hall
Superformance: 94 - confirmed HiTech Auto
BEC (Bailey Edwards Cars): 10 - Larry
Misc Scratch-built/RML/Sabre/others: 30 - Mark Worthington, Colin Artus

Now we're over 2000 GT40 replicas sold. Much more than I ever imagined, and probably more than half aren't on the road, so we're still at least four times as rare as the new Ford GT.

Andy, you were seriously mis-quoted by Roger Green of Evo Magazine (09/04) who reported that Tornado had produced "about 150 TS40s - from Kidderminster for some 20 years now." I must say I'm rather shocked that with 800 GT40 kits/cars out there that Tornado doesn't have it's own forum section here which would seem well-deserved.

Ron Earp

Admin
Mark Charlton said:
Latest updated numbers:
Tornado: 800 - confirmed Andy Sheldon

Mark/Andy,

Is that 800 GT40 kits/cars tornado has produced or 800 kits/cars in total? If the latter, how many GT40 kits/cars are there?

Tornado has made more than a few kit/replicas over the years thus it is important for this estimation to make a distinction.

Ron

Back