4.6 quad cam

I am looking into the engine side of things.
A supplier here can get Cobra engines or std 4.6 quad cams.
He states the Cobra eng is a higher output but dosnt seem to know anymore than that.

Can anyone shed any light on this . Is it manifolds ,camshafts , programming ect ect
Jim.

I AM FITTING 4.6 QUAD CAM,IT IS THE LINCLON MK8 ENGINE RATED AT 285HP I SUPPOSE YOU COULD SAY THIS IS A STD ENGINE.THE COBRA I THINK IS 320HP AND IT DOES HAVE BETTER INTERNALS BUT AT A PRICE.DEPENDING ON WHAT YEAR ENGINE YOU GET THERE ARE DIFFERENT HEADS,INTAKE MANIFOLDS AND CAMS,AS FOR PROGRAMING I HAVE NOT BEEN DOWN THAT ROAD TO FAR BUT AS FAR AS MY ENGINE GOES THE STOCK COMPUTER DOES NOT HAVE TO MUCH OF A WINDOW I BELEIVE SO I AM GOING WITH AFTER MARKET.I AM JUST IN THROWS OF BUILDING AN INLET MANIFOLD TO FIT 8 STACK THROTTLE BODY SYSTEM,ACCORDING TO SEAN HYLAND THIS SHOULD GIVE ME ANOTHER 40HP.I WOULD SUGGEST YOU GET HIS BOOK ITS VERY INFORMATIVE(HOW TO BUILD MAX-PERFORMANCE 4.6-LITER FORD ENGINES)

I was also looking into installing a 4.6. You have many options avaliable all of which can be seen at the ford motorsports web page. They have a supercharge that bolts in place of the intake manifold which essentially is the same configuration as the Ford GT. Now there is seperate heads and even a seperate block already bored out to 5.0L. For those who have the coin you could always order the Cammer which has all the nice bits. Essentially the same engine that Multimatic installed into there Daytona prototype. Now the bad news $14000 USD, and you need a seperate ECU.

But my only concern is does the transaxle fit without building a custom bell housing?

Syd

My car (Roaring Forties #95) is fitted with 2001 Cobra 32valve unit. The cabra's do have better crank, rods & pistons. They are built in the "SVT" plant and come with a tacky litte plaque which is signed by the engine assembler. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif There are STACKS of options if you want to spend some $$$$. See the Sean Hyland Motorsport web site for some juicy stuff. I have been looking into the supercharger options aswell. Kenne Bell do a twin screew jobbie which is a complete kit and bolts diectly onto the 99-01 cobra engine. The Mustang people who've fitted the kit (and there are plenty of them) all quote 400-450 RWHP at just 9psi boost with NO internal mods required, and the TORQUE figures are AWESOME. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif That is easy horsepower. Wouldn't look as good as an 8-stack though. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

oops

Attachments

• 67213-ZF&4.6.jpg
    67213-ZF&4.6.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 527
Nice one Bill. It's good to see some interest in this engine. I think it's going to surprise a few people once there are a few GT40's running around with MOD power. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I thank everyone for the input.
I will do some more home work but the Cobra engine looks the go for the moment.

The only part that concerned me was if it was all bolt on stuff that was different to get the power gains.
As 90% off tha stuff is going in the bin over a period of time (intake exhaust ect ect).
I will check out the internal differences.

Bill I will be using a zf trans.
I was going to use a g50 but zf ratios are better for what I want.

Tim I saw your car when I was at Roberts in Dec last year.
I took a lot of pics As I new that was the way to go.( 4 valves are the way)

Jim C

DRB are currently building a Cobra replica with a supercharged 4.6l modular installed for a customer. If I can get some pics and more info, I'll post them here.

They have already built/reg'd GT40's with 4.6lt engine. They have worked out and fitted up 4.6lt & 5.4lt boss engines in both Cobra's & GT40's. Boy is that 5.4lt a large heavy lump of motor, considering it has a cast iron block.

For a race car, the Lexus 4lt - Toyota 1UZ-FE is a great choice. Cheap, abundant, strong, reliable and good power output. Built race Cobra with the Lexus, very nice package. Although not a Ford...

Jim
Sorry to deviate from the topic but where are you getting your ZF from and what power rating do they have. Also does RF do the adaptor plate or are you going to do it.
Cheers

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
Here's something similar being done here in Sydney, Oz - an RF with an Audi V8 4.2l 40v 320+hp 410n/m.

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Attachments

• 67368-gt40071.jpg
    67368-gt40071.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 624
I prefer the old pushrod lumps in my replicas...readily available, make tons of cheap power, "old car" look....
but newer, multi-valve, hi-tech motors do have a "cool"
look that can't be denied.

MikeD

Craig my first thought was the 5.4 lt but it is a large eng & Robert has looked at that engine but its to big for the chassis.

The engine is longer & wider (a lot).
No dought it can be done but not by me.
To get drive shaft angles to a minumum it may mean reducing cabin size.
I am 6 foot tall ( problem).

For me it will have to be a Ford engine.
I do agree with Mike ,for the orthenticity I dont mind the old push rod.

The 4.6 is all alloy 4 valve twin cam , generally speaking it is usually easyer to make power on these types off engines.

I have played with a lot of Jap 4 valves & with a throttle per port ( quads ect) exhaust bla bla bla.
it is not a major job to get 100hp per lt.
4 valve engines dont like a lot of camshaft so you can have a fairly tame eng.

Having said all of that I have not looked inside a head on one of these engines so if the ports are to big that will make life harder.( that is the risk we all take).

Patto I havent looked at the buying side of the trans yet, I would say the USA which does worry me.
The output tops 460 flywheel is plenty but 80-90 hp per lt is reliable & plenty.
With closer ratios the power is not as critical.
The zf is more a ratio choise ,(this is not a quote) the porsche g50 ratios start off at about 3.3 3.5:1 & go on from there.
The zf starts of at approx 2.3 - 2.5:1 there abouts , I have driven cars with similar ratios & the car comes alive.
Off the line it is alittle slower but the car being light I dont see it being a big issue.

The other factor was I know I will want ratios & if I owned a g50 (which are 6000 2nd hand)then I put ratios in it(more $$$$$$$$$) then I might as well get the zf & lie like a dog to my wife about the cost.

I did ring a mob in Melbourne (importer) 98cobra eng $5.500 with everything no trans
non cobra $4.500.
96-97 model he said you can take anywere from $1000-$1500 off that price.

I will check all the sites you have mentioned it all helps.

Jim C

Something of interest.... I was talking with Fran from RCR and he says that althought it may physically fit in his new monocoque chassis the 4.6 will not have enough room for a proper exhaust....Needless to say i was a bit disappointed but. Hey nothing a 347 can't fix. Still having an all aluminum 4.6L in that vehicle would be ohh so nice..

Syd.

Hyland has a new 6.0 block that will be out soon. The proto type makes a brutal amount of tork. In the 700 range by a long way We are developing a trans axle to harness this beast. it is a version of the ford 4 R 70 W that will be paddle shifted. The car we are doing now has a bigger foot print. But some of the other kits that are around could accommodate this set up. Could be fun.The eingn is 30"wide but only 24"longand 29 deep

This is the mark V111 vershion this will be in my own car

Attachments

• 67474-Phil4.6.JPG
    67474-Phil4.6.JPG
    106.5 KB · Views: 492
Back