Flat Plane Crank LS1

That Mini is seriously, seriously bad-ass. :stunned: Major Kudos. I thought Ricardo never slept, you I KNOW must never sleep.

The mini was a major project to finish up. I probably have like 300-400 hours in it now and it has been a year long job. I just got out of the shop now and was cutting up the body a bit, fiberglassed it again in an area and then finish that up tomorrow morning when it is all dry. There was a spot that was not matching the other side and was really bugging the hell out of me. I know I should just let it go and be happy, but if I did not fix it it would have really got to me. At least that is what I want now.

Now the issue we are having is finding the exact green I want to make it. I love the 2013 Caterham emerald green they have on the F1 car. Dupont makes the color, but does not have a code or anything for it. My painter is mixing up different colors to try to get close to it. If that comes out really good I might paint the SLC in the same color. Now that I said that no one else is allowed to copy that. haha. I see two greens in these pics and really like them both. Decisions. :shocked:
kovalainen-inline.jpg

Giedo-van-der-Garde-Caterham-Testing-2013-10_2907096.jpg

Sleep, That is why you see me post at like 1-2am east coast time. I really do sleep about 4-6 hours a night and I am good.

5 boys, good lord man, I feel for you. I have 2 and we got fixed now and are done. I can not imagine.

Some skills I learned from this will go onto the SLC. I plan to make my own dash and console area. I want to be able to use a double din LCD radio and a 7" Andriod in there that will be able to monitor all the engine parameters and I will also have a full data aq system hooked up to the same system. I have a MOMO mod 30 steering wheel and a wireless control panel system that will have almost all the switches on the steering wheel. It it works out well it should be interesting and control just about everything at my finger tips. I also like the new F car tripple air outlet on the center of dash. Might have to make something up like that.

Other ideas is a larger roof scoop that sticks out further to get good nice air, then duct it to the intake manifolds to make it functional and that also will keep the cabin water tight.

I am also still not sure on seats. I have two sets now and ponder all the time. I have the new street seats from Fran and a set of cipher seats. Both will work, but I am not sure on which. I might even make my own like I saw (forget name now) do it. Those looked really good. If I could find someone that could finish the seats off like this in Alcantara then that would be be something. Anyone know of anyone with good skills.
66718456.jpg

Interior inspiration for me.

Whew -- look at that front air control, a lot things going on there - impressive.

Attachments

• Giedo-van-der-Garde-Caterham-Testing-2013-10_2907096.jpg
    Giedo-van-der-Garde-Caterham-Testing-2013-10_2907096.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 388
If you like both those colors then finding something that works for you should be no problem. House of Kolor has a nice display of colors at SEMA (if you go to that) and they will tune you into what and how many layers of which colors make the desired finished look. I'm guessing its a pearl (warm lighting dependent gold glow in first shot a tale-tell), candys would be a pain to paint race cars with as it is real difficult to paint many parts in candy at different times and have all the separate parts color match in the end.

Considering an F1 style wheel for our cars... would look cool but F1 cars only have like one turn lock-to-lock, an SLC has many turns. Might be difficult to find the right button depending on wheel position/situation.

I actually tried the Lambo seat shells, no go in the SL-C. Fran's new seats are pretty good, price is right and may be covered as you like.
The Tillet's are expensive but very nice.

I liked the HOK kandy, but painting a car with the curves and all would make it differnt shades and colors in different areas so that would not work. My paint guy is getting me samples that he can paint on some parts to see how I like them. Pretty excited about how the Mini is coming out.

I do have the street seats from Fran sitting here now. I just need someone to make some nice seat covers that fit nice and will look like those lambo seats. Where I live I only see one place and they do old cars so the seats they do look like a sofa and that scares me. I am still trying to find someone local for that part, but I might have to ship a seat off for that. Maybe Fran has a hook up.

We might be able to do something like the K1 seats with the street seats from Fran.

When it comes back, once the SLC is done I am going to do cams and head works to get like 250+rwhp or a turbo and get 300+rwhp. It weights in around 1800-2000lbs right now so it is fun.

Uh oh....this is really close to one of the colors on my short list. Verde Ithaca is still number one though. The others are closer to the Kawasaki green gel coat...

Man...it's a great color! I'll try to steer away from it for you...

Yos- Verde Ithaca is all you. A little too much yellow in it for me and I want a slightly darker color, but it sure does look really sick and nice. That is all you. Shotgun on Catheram emerald green 2013. Dibs and no backsies ever or I am going to tell Mom and Dad. But if there is a car with a similar paint it would be cool to see it around those 6 exhaust pipes.
6304042320_0701d132ec_z.jpg

Yos, you can go for this if you get bored. Sorry, I could not help myself in my 2am insomnia. ugggg.
xCZ4q7Vb.jpg

JohnC

Missing a few cylinders
Lifetime Supporter
Troy, that's a beautiful crankshaft and Ford must've gotten wind of your project; article on page 62 of the latest R&T (Sept '13) reports that the 2016 Mustang GT350 package will include a 5.4 liter, flat plane crank V8, rated "close" to 600 HP, naturally aspirated.

This is also the issue that has Tony Stewart testing the 2014 Stingray on GM's Milford proving ground track. Great read.

I have that issue, just have not read the entire thing. Cool and I will.

That issue picked the color to my Mini. I am going to use the 2014 Lime Rock Green. If it comes out really nice I might use it on the SLC.

Now the next thing to buy are the connecting rods. I am thinking R and R.

Quick updates. I finally got the color for the minimr2 and now the slc. I basically gave up on it as it was a proprietary color only to Caterham F1 team. I tried and tried and tried. Then I have a buddy in the UK who read my minimr2 blog as he likes minis also and sent and email to his friend who works at Caterham F1. He found out that they use a black room to make the color specifically for them and there is not a paint code or anyway to get it. He got the next best thing though. He got them to paint a sample for me and send it over. I got it and it looked great, took it to the auto body supplier and they scanned it to get the paint made up. It has a crazy amount of pearl in it with both gold and silver. I got a 4oz sample made up and sprayed some Elise side scoops I had and it came out really good. It is light green in the sunlight and then turns a goldish or silver color depending on the angle. Then out of the light is turns a darker almost British racing green with a nice metalic to it. I am super excited to have actually gotten this color. Cost for Dunpont Chrombase is like $775 a gallon due to all the pearls, but got to pay to play.

On the flat plan crank no new parts yet. I am going to the PRI show in a week and will be meeting a bunch of folks and looking for some items. List below. If anyone wants to try to check someone out for something let me know.

1- daily engineering. I am going to go with them for a complete dry sump setup. I think this will be needed for the 8500 rpms I want.
2- Con rods. Not sure how yet, but I am leaning towards R&R, but if I find someone else I might be swayed.
3- block, Still plan on doing the ls3 or lsa block. I have JE pistons at 4.065 already so I should stay with that. I was looking at the LS next block, but it costs about $1000 more than a stock LS3 block and then I would have to get new pistons to fit as it is 4.125.
4- valves. We will see about all the Ti valves out there.
5- head work, if places are there and can do just what I want.

On the SLC items.
1- I am going to see if I can find anyone willing to make some seats for us that might be better than we have the street. I had the stock SLC ones, then paid the big money to upgrade to the street SLC ones and even got a set of cipher seats. Still looking for a much better option.
2- rims. I have a set of grand sports and slicks for them. I want to get something for the street that can be really nice, in my mind anyway, but not cost like $2k a piece. I was also thinking 19 front and 20 year with like 285 or 305 front and 305 to 325 rear. We will see. I like the 305/305 setup, but the front might limit things that way. I am not sure yet.

I did go to the PRI show and that turned out to be really good. I had some areas of the engine where I was not sure of what direction to go and this really helped. I figured out which heads and valves and all to use. The hard part is wanting it to rev nice and high, if I was just content with 7000rpm I could have it basically done.

I did order the con rods from R&R. I found a place that makes Ti ones at a good price, but the weight is the same as the R&R ones in the A beam made for the rpm and specs I wanted. The Ti place just so over builds them it is not even realistic to use them at more than double the cost and yet 25 grams more per rod. The ones I got are 500-525 grams per when done with the smaller stronger rod bolts. I should have those soon.

I am still nibbling away at it and once I get enough money I will order another item here and there. The cyl head and items are coming next as I basically have the short block all ordered.

Someday it will happen.

Back