4.6 quad cam

Roaring Forties have done a very neat job of fitting pipes to my car. The "testing set" actually had two catalytic converters squeezed in there. The final version will be even neater, without all those cats, and "silver" jet-hot coated.

Attachments

• 67764-EngineBay2small.JPG
    67764-EngineBay2small.JPG
    66 KB · Views: 372

Ross Nicol

GT40s Supporter
My ZF may be up for sale in the new year if anyone is interested.I will most likely sell it in Australia or NZ but I'm collecting expressions of interest at the moment.

Ross

Ron Earp

Admin
[quote Still having an all aluminum 4.6L in that vehicle would be ohh so nice..
Syd.

[/ QUOTE ]

An all ally 4.6L DOHC mod motor still weighs more than an all ally SB Ford. Guess which one can make more power? Poke and stoke the SB and it wins hands down.

Ross
I would be interested, but am curious as to what you are going to put in your car after the ZF comes out.
How much power can the ZF handle and what are the ratio's and final drive. Also does it have an LSD.
Cheers

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Ross, don't tell me you've found an LG600? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif That's the only worthwhile upgrade for a ZF isn't it? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Good luck,

Ron

I agree on the supremacy of the pushrod motor....
but for those that have to have a current production
motor to pass regulations, the 4.6 ain't a bad deal.
Thank goodness we can still polute the air here in the
good old USA with our pushrod motors.

MikeD

I just got back from the SEMA show in Vegas. The dominant car there was the mustang with the 4.6 You can make 600 hp with a 4.6 and pass California smog. No ford small block, that I ever herd of will do that . And you don't need a blower on the 4.6 to make 600 HP If you get One and wont to drive it in California the way to do it is to make sure the O.B.D2 package is functional. As far as the Trans go's we have the new ZF with a clutch and bell housing Also available is the new Mendeola SDR built for street use They will have a Bell housing for us soon or we will. And we will have a 5 speed paddle shifted tyranny of our own soon. The writhing is on the wall You will not be able to get a small block powered car registered in Ca soon. Morese Johansson who is a costumer and was our senator penned SB 100 for us But it is under attack from the tree huggers. To get a sequence number, even for us is getting harder. I will have some pitchers after Monday win our driver get,s back from the show.

Ron Earp

Admin
[ QUOTE ]
I just got back from the SEMA show in Vegas. The dominant car there was the mustang with the 4.6 You can make 600 hp with a 4.6 and pass California smog. No ford small block, that I ever herd of will do that . And you don't need a blower on the 4.6 to make 600 HP

[/ QUOTE ]

Bill, there is SEMA, then there is reality. I know a lot of folks that build 4.6L motors, a lot here at Haywood Performance in Raleigh, home of the fastest 4.6L no blower mod motor Stang in the country (one runs in the 7s). These fellows indicate you are not going to get 600+ hp out of a four valve 4.6L and pass smog without blower or without simply building an all out 281 inch race motor and it won't pass any smog restrictions.

If you think about it another way, the motor is only 4.6L or 281 inches. 100 hp per liter is a pretty high bench mark in the engine building world and would yield 460hp in the 4.6L.

600 hp naturally aspirated in the 4.6L would require 130 hp per liter, a really high specific output. Or, to look at it in inches, over 2hp per inch.

In contast the Ferrari Enzo, which I personally don't care for, has a specific output of around 110 hp per liter and is consdered quite high in that respect. Ford's own race 5.0L cammer available through Ford racing is rated at more than 400hp and less than 500hp - a far cry from 600hp and it has more displacement to boot. Specific output is less than 100hp per liter.

My personal opinion is once you guys get your mod motored cars up and running you'll find them in need of some power boost to offset the additional weight on your larger GT40s. Not knocking your cars, they are cool, but the mod motor is no torque monster and I'll bet you need to resort to a blower to keep some of your customers happy with the 4.6L motors. Don't want them getting scalded off the line by a Chebby.

I hear what you are saying there Ron. Lurking on the Mustang forums, you get pretty much the same idea. Guys are fitting Kenne Bell or Vortech blowers to 2001 Gt's and Cobras, and getting sensational results. 400rwhp, and heaps of torque from 2000rpm, right through the range. And you don't need to go to mega-boost levels to get these results. 8psi will get you plenty or power, with stock engine.

Ron Earp

Admin
If you visit any of the following:

www.corral.net

www.svtperformance.com

www.allfordmustangs.com

I like the corral and svtperformance, but you'll find the same stories repeated (after you shift through the crap) over and over. Mod motors are fine, but they REALLY respond well to positive displacement blowers. Naturally aspirated they are soft on low end torque and can make upper RPM power, but not that kind of power he's been told from SEMA.

Tim, I know some folks have some street 4.6L 4V motors and can get in the low to mid 300s, rear wheel, naturally aspirated. Cams (more low end gets dropped), heads, injection mapping, lightening of components, etc. is the norm to get it done. Still, I think you'll really want a blower on that motor to make it shine. On the other hand, I like naturally aspirated for track work and if you are doing any of that the if you can get the motor in the 350ish range at the wheel you'll be dealing! If is the question though as it doesn't appear that is a huge body of 4C 4.6L tuning knowledge in Australia, but I might be wrong on that.

Ron

Ron Earp

Admin
Just saw another hp/L benchmark, very lofty. Naturally aspirated Ferrari FXX, 789hp/506 ft-lb from 6.3L. That is 125 hp/L - STILL not as high as the Ford 4.6L motor is going to have to do to make 600hp from 4.6L.

R

Ron Earp

Admin
There is a nice list of naturally aspirated mod motor builds that is maintained for the country in the Mustang community. Here is a sampling from the list, Randy Haywood who is a local racer and who's shop I frequent for dyno work is still on top by 1hp.

Boss 330 (538 SAE) 5.4L, Ported '00R's by Al/Cams/PSR by Al/RG. N/A HP Champion.
Randy Haywood (548/539 STD*) 5.4L, Ported '00R's/Cams/Sheetmetal Intake/Carb.
Mike T. @ Modular Performance (510 STD*) 5.0L, Ported FR500/PSR/Cams/RG.
Joe Hutchins SHM 5.2/5.3L (475) Ported B head/Cams/Kinsler IR intake/RG.
Shawn Johnson (454 STD*) 5.0L, Ported C Heads/Mod Perf Cams/Custom Intake/Carbureted/RG.
WMS (448 SAE) 5.3L, Ported C Head/FR500 Intake/Cams.
Paul S/PHP (430) 5.0L, Ported FR500/FR500 Intake/Cams/RG.
360NotchforUrLS1 (420/390) Ported 99/01 C head/Ported Intake/Crane Cams.
Dennis Sharp/DS97Cobra (420/330 STD*) 5.0L Ported FR500/FR500, Houston Perf Cams.
Nazman (from Mighty Mustangs) (410/333 SAE) Owner Ported FR500 Heads/FR500 Cams/FR500 Intake.

Still, the best is 539 flywheel hp from a seriously built motor and it isn't a 4.6, it is a 5.4L engine running a carb interestingly enough. I'll ask him about that.

Ron

Back