LS1 management options ?

As the title says, can anyone reccommend an ECU package to fit to an '02' LS1 motor that was originally from a C5 Corvette ?

A complete ECU/loom package would be preferred but happy to look at all options. UK or Overseas sourced.

I am using the MSD stand alone kit that comes with maps for many different configurations of LS engines already on the CD. My car uses a Z06 spec LS6 with the original cam and custom 1 3/4 headers as the only modification. I had to rebuild the supplied harness(was set up for front engine,my installation is mid engine with the intake manifold turned 180deg so some connections had to be lengthened or swapped side to side). Once the harness issues were sorted,it took me longer to load the CD on my laptop(I'm not too keen with computers) than it took to set up the system and fire it up! The system is user programmable,however I am concentrating on dialing in the chassis before tuning the engine for the last drop of power,so I will get it on the dyno sometime this season. Although it is still on the "base" tune, power and driveablility are excellant!! The kit lists for around $1800 and comes complete with ECM(about the size of 2 packs of cigarettes),full harness with relays and fuses,CD,tuning software, and interface cable. I am very happy with the system,especially for the price(MOTECs cost far more!)!
Dave D.

While there are many pros and cons to various sytems, for the money, it's hard to beat the GM Performance Parts system. You get the ECU, harness, mass air meter and bung, O2 sensors and bungs, and the throttle by wire pedal assembly for less than 900 bucks. It is designed to be plug and play with their crate motors. I believe they have a model for mechanical throttle systems as well.

The MSD systen IS the GM performance system of the older LS1 engines.They (GM) sold the rights to MSD when they changed to the later style reluctor wheel ignition system on the LS2 and later engines.For a LS1 based engine,you would need a system for the earlier (24k?) reluctor ignition.The current system may be less money(not sure, as the harness for one crate motor system was $1100 list,but they lack the user programmable feature,at least capeable of easily re programmed by a laptop on the fly.

Paul the LS1 5.7 ltr engine was fitted to the holden commodore here in Australia with a Delphi ECU. These with harness are very avaiable in OZ with harnesses. You could try Ebay or any Holden dismantler.ECU and harness should be less then $AU400 and the fuel and ignition maps are re programable by many tuning shops here. I purchased a spare ECU and harness on Ebay for $200 for my LS1. Hope this helps.

Darrell
DRB #46
LS1/G50

Back