Columbus Ohio RCR40

Nick,
Wish I'd seen your thread earlier - another option for the tight space for alternator mounting is to fab up a bracket and reverse mount it so you don't have to hole the chassis. I went this route and it is working well so far. The Sanderson type A/C compressor will just barely fit along the passenger side of the block if you make up a mounting bracket.
Best regards,
Jim
Hey Jim, I like your idea. I'll be honest we did not consider a reverse mount solution! Maybe this will help someone else though in the future.

Still fighting with the fuel system layout... It has been quite a challenge to get fuel tank fittings that fit well. Finally we found some 90 degree fittings that barely clear. The opening in the chassis for the fuel tank had to be increased. It used to have ~0.25" lips on the top and bottom and now they are flush.

IMG_2639.JPG

IMG_2640.JPG

This is a photo before trimming the top and bottom to be flush. Looks like I forgot to take an after photo.

Finished mounting the remote oil filter mount. Happy with how this came out and the rigidity of it. There are two mounting points on the trans case. One is hard to see in this photo as it is behind the filter. The accusump will be on the other side of the transaxle now so this works out great.

IMG_2604.JPG

Decided to make a rear transaxle mount as well. After going back and forth on all the different options we decided to make a steel bracket that grabs this rear feature of the case. I added a strip of steel to the back side of the aluminum here to help give it extra strength... probably overkill... The OEM mount was in an inconvenient location, and is completely in the way of the exhaust. I cut it off (roughly) as its not needed anymore. Of course later I will go back and clean it up. There is much more space for the exhaust now as well. It's funny to be honest the original intention of the bracket was to give the trans more support, but it's remarkable how much it helped stiffen up the rear of the body. A nice bonus from adding this part.

IMG_2593.JPG

IMG_2608.JPG

Starting to prep for building the exhaust.

I decided on 1-3/4 tubing. I shopped around for a plastic mock-up kit like ice engine works but the prices on them are insane.... Instead I took an afternoon to order a ton of 12mm magnets for $12 and model my own blocks. Now I am printing them for ~$0.20 each. So far it seems to be working well. Going to start with 2.0" CLR and change as needed.

IMG_2633.JPG

IMG_2643.JPG

IMG_2641.JPG

I have the fuel system mocked up with really old compressed air hose that was laying around, similar to what we did with the coolant system. We almost started making AN lines, but decided to double check anything else that might get in the way. I am glad we did because we almost got ahead of ourselves...
Now the shifter cables, parking brake cables, and brake lines are installed mostly.

The shifter cables stay out of the way nicely of the accusump, still glad we checked. They neatly wrap around the rear of the transaxle, eventually I will build a clamp of sorts to keep them tucked better but the rear clip thankfully has a surprising amount of clearance back there down low.

IMG_2962.JPG

The cables route behind the remote oil filter mount and go along the frame to the spine of the chassis
IMG_2963.JPG

I am not happy with how close the parking brake cable ended up to the shifter. There is barely enough room to wrap your hands around the handle as is, creating a center console around this area will be a nightmare! I wish the shifter cables were longer but we will have to figure something else out.

IMG_2867.JPG

Heres the parking brake cables ran through the rear bulkhead before I had the shifter cables routed.
IMG_2863.JPG

They come out just above the spline and have these nice 90 degree fittings.
IMG_2821.JPG

These brackets worked out nicely as well.
IMG_2824.JPG

The parking brake calipers needed bolted to the hubs next.
Thankfully the drilling and tapping went well without a mistake.

IMG_2990.JPG

IMG_2993.JPG

IMG_2994.JPG

I also did some more planning of the exhaust system.
I did a little reading and double checked how a bundle of snakes would apply to the LS engines 1-8-7-2-6-5-4-3 firing order.
Looks like the middle two cylinders of each bank will have to cross over.

1706324092104.png

I know, I know, I am a darn good artist. Behold my latest masterpiece:

1706324162581.png

PaulProe

Supporter
Nick
Nice artwork ;)
I am studying the exhaust system also, planning my header build. Can you help a beginner with an explanation of the "D" & "P" That has me a little confused,

thanks

Paul

PaulProe

Supporter
D: Drivers side P: passenger side
Nick
That just came to me this morning in the shower. Your confirmation set me on a 'next step' I've been studying the concept of the siphon effect of exhaust collectors. If I've read the threads correctly, it isn't a big game changer but every little bit helps. Seems if you align the primaries correctly in the collector, it creates a swirl effect in the exhaust which helps extract exhaust just a little more.

With the info I've collected on this forum, I took your spreadsheet and image and added some additional info. I've converted it to 'Ford' since you are running an LS. I also converted the collector data for the LS and added it to your sketch. I am hopeful some of the more knowledgeable guys will chime in and advise if this is done correctly or if I've made an error in the details.
Chevrolet LS
Late Model SB Ford
LS_Snakes.png
Ford_137_Snakes.png
One of the posters commented that the originals had this 'vortex' concept correct on one side but not on the other. I've corrected for that in this layout so it does differ slightly from the original 'which pipe goes to which hole' in the collector.

For the record, these are some of the links that I've garnered this info from:
Am I on the right track?

Paul

Nick
That just came to me this morning in the shower. Your confirmation set me on a 'next step' I've been studying the concept of the siphon effect of exhaust collectors. If I've read the threads correctly, it isn't a big game changer but every little bit helps. Seems if you align the primaries correctly in the collector, it creates a swirl effect in the exhaust which helps extract exhaust just a little more.

With the info I've collected on this forum, I took your spreadsheet and image and added some additional info. I've converted it to 'Ford' since you are running an LS. I also converted the collector data for the LS and added it to your sketch. I am hopeful some of the more knowledgeable guys will chime in and advise if this is done correctly or if I've made an error in the details.
Chevrolet LS
Late Model SB Ford
View attachment 135893View attachment 135894
One of the posters commented that the originals had this 'vortex' concept correct on one side but not on the other. I've corrected for that in this layout so it does differ slightly from the original 'which pipe goes to which hole' in the collector.

Am I on the right track?

Paul

Hey Paul, I read about that as well. I also read mixed things about the effectiveness. If it's convenient I may try to implement it but I won't stress if the routing is more convenient another way.... thanks for sharing!!

Good news, after getting creative with the shifter cable routing the shift unit was able to slide significantly forward. This provided some much needed relief from the parking brake handle. The parking brake handle is bolted in now, but we made some minor modifications to the bracket. The handle gets in the way of the cables as is, and it was offset to be on top of the shifter cable body. We flipped the top bracket 180 degrees so that the rectangular hole is on the drivers side instead. Then drilling new holes allowed mounting it. This gave even more relief for the handle. For now we have a few washers spacing it over even further but we may undo that down the road.

IMG_3018[1].JPG

We couldn't resist trying out the seats. They feel great, but it is hilarious how snug two passengers fit in these cars.

IMG_3016[1].JPG

I didn't take any pictures, but we also mocked up all the brake lines and clutch line.

With these in the car that mostly finished off all the "defined" parts that could get in the way of any planned fuel lines/ coolant lines/ oil lines. That meant that we can now have the confidence to make AN hoses for everything and nothing will come up (hopefully) down the line to force us to remake them.

The coolant lines went in without a problem. So far we are really impressed with Jegs brand AN fittings and hoses.

IMG_3019[1].JPG

IMG_3024[1].JPG

IMG_3023[1].JPG

Next up are fuel lines and oil lines!!! Things are getting exciting as the project seems more and more like a real car.

Nick

Chevrolet LS
Late Model SB Ford
View attachment 135893View attachment 135894

Am I on the right track?

Paul
Did anyone else notice these engines have the same firing order, just a different numbering system and start point?

Vinny P

Supporter
I have the fuel system mocked up with really old compressed air hose that was laying around, similar to what we did with the coolant system. We almost started making AN lines, but decided to double check anything else that might get in the way. I am glad we did because we almost got ahead of ourselves...
Now the shifter cables, parking brake cables, and brake lines are installed mostly.

The shifter cables stay out of the way nicely of the accusump, still glad we checked. They neatly wrap around the rear of the transaxle, eventually I will build a clamp of sorts to keep them tucked better but the rear clip thankfully has a surprising amount of clearance back there down low.

View attachment 135826

The cables route behind the remote oil filter mount and go along the frame to the spine of the chassis
View attachment 135827

I am not happy with how close the parking brake cable ended up to the shifter. There is barely enough room to wrap your hands around the handle as is, creating a center console around this area will be a nightmare! I wish the shifter cables were longer but we will have to figure something else out.

View attachment 135828

Heres the parking brake cables ran through the rear bulkhead before I had the shifter cables routed.
View attachment 135829

They come out just above the spline and have these nice 90 degree fittings.
View attachment 135830

These brackets worked out nicely as well.
View attachment 135831

The parking brake calipers needed bolted to the hubs next.
Thankfully the drilling and tapping went well without a mistake.

View attachment 135832
View attachment 135833
View attachment 135834
Did anyone else notice these engines have the same firing order, just a different numbering system and start point?
Looking good Nick I see you have been making good progress.

Nick, do you use cad? I designed and built my headers in cad. Then I plotted full scale templates. Bought all needed stainless bends, cut on band saw, and welded together. Worked perfectly. I have the cad for your engine, if interested.

View attachment 136169

I do use several different types. What format of a file do you have? and is it a 5.3 LM7 truck block?

I have a 3D scanner so I certainly considered scanning the engine and modeling it in CAD.. but obviously decided to try something else first.

Tim Collins

Supporter
I do use several different types. What format of a file do you have? and is it a 5.3 LM7 truck block?

I have a 3D scanner so I certainly considered scanning the engine and modeling it in CAD.. but obviously decided to try something else first.
Anyone can get 3D cad for almost any GM engine if you're a SEMA member. If you give me your email, I can send a link for a step file you can download. Once you are able to open the engine file and manipulate, I can explain how to design headers using purchased mandrel bends.

Anyone can get 3D cad for almost any GM engine if you're a SEMA member. If you give me your email, I can send a link for a step file you can download. Once you are able to open the engine file and manipulate, I can explain how to design headers using purchased mandrel bends.
Tim, your design work is amazing. I need some advice with my exhaust headers on an LS. Would you mind giving me a call? 904-716-2020 anytime. Thanks. Mark.

Back