930 clutch installation instructions?

BigB98

CURRENTLY BANNED
Ok, this weekend I plan to get the transaxle mated with all the clutch components installed...Question is, how best to do this?

I get how the pressure plate and clutch disc go, but how about the throwout bearing and fork??? Are there supposed to be throwout retaining clips or anything? I don't have any, so I'm hoping I don't need them?

Any pictures and instructions would be really helpful. Thanks!!!

Russ Noble

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Although I'm not familiar with your particular installation, none of the diagrams I have for the various factory 930 clutch setups show retaining clips for the release brg. Wouldn't know about other conversions, RCR setup etc though.

Can't see why you would need them all the same. Probably just to keep things together during assembly. If you're worried about it, some electrical tape or a rubber band judicially applied will stop things coming apart until everything is bolted up.

Last edited:

Peter Delaney

GT40s Supporter
I am guessing that the 930 is similar to my G50 in terms of installing the clutch fork. For reasons that we won't go into, I have had the "opportunity" to R&R the gearbox a few times & I have found that the rubber band method is brilliant.

I just make up 4 sets of 2 x medium rubber bands joined together to get the right length & hang the clutch fork on these. With the ears of the clutch fork behind the lugs on the bearing, two rubber bands on each side (with the tops of the rubber bands strung over the teeth on the ring gear) will support it fine.

Fine adjustments of the fork location & orientation can simply be made by moving the tops of the rubber bands over the ring gear teeth.

Once it is aligned, the box just slips into place & all you have to do is to get the clutch fork shaft in. Some jiggling of the fork is required (through the hole in the bellhousing near the master cyl location), but the biggest challenge is to get the shaft started into the fork bearings. For some obscure reason, Porsche decided on a shaft with a totally squared off end - I got that in once (after about an hour), but after that exercise, I got smart & ground a 3mm chamfer on the end of the shaft. This makes it almost self centering & from then on, the shaft install only took a few minutes.

Once it is all installed, I just use a coat hanger wire with a small hook on the end to poke in, grab the rubber bands, & pull them out until they break. The starter motor & ring gear look after the rest of what's left of the rubber bands.

I hope that this helps a bit (sorry, but I have no pics).

Kind Regards,

Peter D.

Back