Chassis jig?

I've been watching muscle car on power block. The guy on there, whatever his name is. Is building a road race mustang. He's using a jig and i was just wondering, where can i get blue prints of such a thing or something with a lot of information? I've tried google. The only thing i get are people selling chassis jigs or miscellaneous crap.

can anyone help? I'm not looking to go into business for myself but i thought this would be a really good project that i might be able to learn from being that im in college and aspire to industrial design/mech eng.

NO takers? I know you guys know somewhere i can get these...or atleast an assemble it yourself kit...Anyone??

Stigg, Here`s a brief overview of the jig in my shop. Material; 2x4 .187 wall steel tube. OAL -16 feet OAW -44 inches Height -36 inches. Be sure to include leveling pads on all corners. Mine is on 5 inch steel casters , so I can role it outside ( and who wouldn`t want to be outside in W/ Mich. during the summer)? There two (2) equally spaced 2x4 cross tubes between the main rails. Along each side are lengths of 2x2x1/4 angle w/ 1 leg facing inward. By doing that I can place pieces of 2x2 tube between the rails in any location for support. Also, it`s wired and plumbed for air to avoid having hoses and cords to trip over. Be sure to place any cross tubes on the legs high enough to roll a "cherry picker' under, or you will be annoyed every time you try to load/ unload a frame from it. Folding legs may be a good idea as well, as these are a great user of floor space. Hope this gets you started in the right direction. B.L

Stigg, Here`s a brief overview of the jig in my shop. Material; 2x4 .187 wall steel tube. OAL -16 feet OAW -44 inches Height -36 inches. Be sure to include leveling pads on all corners. Mine is on 5 inch steel casters , so I can role it outside ( and who wouldn`t want to be outside in W/ Mich. during the summer)? There two (2) equally spaced 2x4 cross tubes between the main rails. Along each side are lengths of 2x2x1/4 angle w/ 1 leg facing inward. By doing that I can place pieces of 2x2 tube between the rails in any location for support. Also, it`s wired and plumbed for air to avoid having hoses and cords to trip over. Be sure to place any cross tubes on the legs high enough to roll a "cherry picker' under, or you will be annoyed every time you try to load/ unload a frame from it. Folding legs may be a good idea as well, as these are a great user of floor space. Hope this gets you started in the right direction. B.L

hi stu thanks for the response!!! Would it be possible to post a couple pictures??

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Stigg,

Are you asking about a rotisserie for spinning the chassis while you work on it or a true chassis jig on which you construct a tube frame. Very different beasts... probably why so few responders.

Stigg, Happy I could help. P.M . me for pics. Also, It`s not Stu, It`s Jerry. A.K.A floydjer. OOPS! Here comes a moderator .....See Ya J.B.

Stigg,

Are you asking about a rotisserie for spinning the chassis while you work on it or a true chassis jig on which you construct a tube frame. Very different beasts... probably why so few responders.

Oops! I didn't realize my first post was so misleading. I am looking for an actual chassis jig, one that you build tube frame, or basically any frame off of. Basically pictures or blue prints is what im after.

Chris Kouba

Supporter
Stigg,

You'll find it tough to get someone to cough up a plan for a jig like this. Basically you're taking the hardpoints of the suspension and running gear and creating a fixture to relate them in space. Using the Mustang as an example, the person with the jig figured out where he wanted the control arms located, the steering box and idler arms or rack, the motor and trans mounts, and any other critical features. Knowing the coordinates for where these were all located enabled him to build a framework (jig) to hold things in place while chassis tubes were welded up to connect them.

Where to get that info is a different story... Search around here and you'll find people asking for blueprints, with which you can figure it out. You can also buy someone's frame, create fixturing to assemble into it, disassemble the fixturing, remove the "pattern" frame, reassemble the fixturing, and then recreate the frame with pickup points held by the jig and fresh tubes. This might result in some unhappy people (IP infringements, etc), but I know it does happen (seen it done with circle track dirt racers where it's pretty common to wad up a chassis in a tangle).

I tore through an old Mustang in high school and in the back of the Ford shop manual, there was a fairly extensive list of reference dimensions for the chassis. Using these pages it is conceiveable to create a jig but odds are it'd be challenging.

The jig holds the mounting points in place while you weld them to a frame. Where the jig locates them is up to the builder to decide and based on intent and purpose of the project.

Not much of an answer but hope that helps somehow.

Last edited:
Right i understand the work. And i thought it would be fun to build one to see how everything works, mainly with a chassis. Thanks for the info anyways guys!!

Back