dino 246s

a little beauty I didnt know was this little dino 246s.
Looks similar to P4, but for me nicer cause smaller.

Does anybody know a link where I can read a little more?
Did anybody try to make replica of this little or is always the same mess as for p4s..gto?

Dunno neither the numbers and the actual value of this beauty (plz dont resend me to ferrarichat cause I hate such forum..)

Attachments

• reviv03-sun-fv-246s-dino.jpg
    reviv03-sun-fv-246s-dino.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 701
  • img02.jpg
    img02.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 676
Completely agree Jim, its simply a lovely vehicle (as well as 330/412 cars)..but this is smaller.
Now I will go to a friend (shop supplier)I know surely having some more books and infos about this beauty.
HAVE TO KNOW MOREEEEE..... ;)

Dunno neither the numbers and the actual value of this beauty (plz dont resend me to ferrarichat cause I hate such forum..)
I know a couple of the moderators on this forum (FC). The stories make your head spin; death threats, people showing up at their homes, less than grown-up posts..... I will say, though, that there is an tremendous amount of knowledge there regarding the prancing pony. I am not a Ferrari guy, but I am amazed at the detail these guys can recount. In short, even though you may have to sift through a lot of muck, I think it would be a good resource. Good luck (and I like your taste too. That's a hot little car!)

Keith

It's not the quickest Ferrari ever built (Fiat V6 motor) but it is one of the prettiest. A friend of mine has two. How many do you need Paulo?

(Image courtesy of Wikipedia)

Attachments

• 800px-Car_501523_fh000001.jpg
    800px-Car_501523_fh000001.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 580
I recall there was a kit car copy of this in the 80s. I know half a dozen kits were built - no idea how many were sold and never finished though. Total Kit Car did an article on them.

There used to be a black one up the road from me, which ran a fiat motor, so I assumed it was one of the copies. It was a V6 too. I didn't realise the originals had a fiat engine...

well...I dont think Fiat in 1967 can ever had a production engine v6 with 218 hp(for us v6 is a "luxury" cylinder numbers guys...that period Italy was moving in 2 cylinders aircooled fiat 500 ;),when not in Vespa ,while america was inventing the muscle cars...).
A v6 of that period shall be surely a special engine,surely not at all an unit done for everyday car, absolutely sure about it. (so not a F.ix I.t A.gain T.ony..).
Enzo always had a special eye for engines, he will never accept a "Ferrari lenta" (the only "strange" model was the Ferrari 208 in the late 70s..fast as an Alfa..immediately updated to 208 Turbo...and thats also the lowest value Ferrari today,almost here.)
The Dino was probably the original Enzo's idea to make something similar to an Elise (cheap,light and fast).

Keith, thank u for the offer, will accept BOTH the cars...and let all your garages free for some new stuff (never mind my friend, will not ask u a penny to move that old red ones..really :D).
Just curious...is the body all aluminum?
Think I will never have the courage to strip off a Dino to make a replica of the 206sp.
The car is a dream, but think it will fit terribly better on an RCR chassis maybe (Fran,dont u like the 206?).
More I look at the shape of 206,more I fall in love to her...

Last edited:
Paolo, the road-going 246 dino does indeed have an engine shared with Fiat - same engine as in the Fiat Dino of the same vintage. Nice compact engine with modest output in 2.4 configuration (about 185hp as I recall). I believe some eurpean cars were delivered with the same engine but in a 2.0 version for taxation purposes.

I'm not sure if this engine was designed by ferrari and then sub-licensed to Fiat or the other way around. I do remember that the packaging for parts for it all came in ferrari logo boxes - my dad had a dino when I was a kid - and it was always exciting when parts showed up on the door step. I remember being a passenger in the car on long road trips and eating loads of french bread - must have been a whole loaf's worth of crumbs under the seat.

It's a lovely car with quite a fan club. There's an interview with the original designer in the last FORZA mag. Gordon Murray of McLaren F1 fame has called it the most beautiful car in the world. It's a close second to my GT40 in my book!

The 206 racing car looks similar in profile to the 246 but has little in common with it. The 206 did pretty well at LeMans in its class although it wasn't a major challenger for line honors. Some very well known race car drivers did time in 206s.

eheh..I've found a nice book in Linate "mercatino delle pulci" (dunno how and if exist a word in english to explain such little market).There is a short history of the 206sp,when I have a little time I will try traslate the history...and hope u survive to my english:)

Paolo
This is a copy of one made in NewZealand, you would be hard pressed to fault it from the origional.
Cheers

Attachments

• Scope Classis 021.jpg
    Scope Classis 021.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 567
There were 2 replicas made of the 246. One was the Magnum and the other was the Kelmark. Neither was an exact replica. They were, and are, popular kit cars although neither is produced anymore.

Maybe I am wrong, but when such bodies are not so close to originals I always see a sort of fear to the big F in Maranello (as well as for p4s..)

This little replica is wonderful btw.
Any idea for datas and performances?

Back