Donington

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Donington has been awarded the F1 Grand Prix, but on some other web sites, some seem to think it will be difficult for the developer to get planning permission to achieve what needs to be done in the time frame.
I'm wondering what you Brits think?

As a recent 'born again biker' I've been watching the discussions of this topic on several bike forums too.

It's agreed that Donington currently offers crap facilities to those attending bike events, the most recent attracting 90000+ and the organisers expect the spectators to just 'put up with it'...

The infrastructure clearly isn't there at the moment, let alone the requirements and expectations of the F1 brigade and considering the investments that were made to access routes around Silverstone, its going to all be required again.

IF the investment gets put in place, then I guess long term, Donington will have to improve, which has to be good for the biking fraternity too, but it does smack of Bernie just playing GOD to whoever he thinks will pay the biggest cheq long term. If I were him (considering his financial position) - I'd be investing back into the UKs Motorsporting future, at ALL levels, for the good of all. Smacks me as a 'tight fisted money grabbing old git' really.... (who should also have spoken out against his mate MAX a little louder too)

I live about 5 miles from Donington Park, and work at the airport next to the track. The surrounding road network is actually quite good when you compare it to how Silverstone used to be. The M1 (the main motorway), A50 and A42 (both dual carriageways) pass very close to Donington Park. I think only about 1-2 miles away. The BIG problem is the A453 from the motorway to the track, it is single carriageway, and very busy with airport traffic on its own add a major event at Donington (like bikes) and it can become gridlock!

The track its self need a lot of work and the pit lane facilities need knocking down and starting again. Along with some of the track. However, the response from the local community has been very positive, everybody is talking about it and is very excited. I don't think they are going to have any problem getting planning permission for redoing the track, pit lane, or the surrounding areas. The main problem will be the road into the race track its self.

I have to say I am very much looking forward to it coming, I remember the last GP in 1993, as does anyone who saw that lap from Sena! Donington is a great track, and although not F1 standard at the moment with time and money it could be a fantastic F1 track! Time is going to be the issue, I think it will be ready, but it will be close!

I went to Silverstone last weekend and was amazed to see the main grandstand on the start/finish straight was still made from scaffolding!

Keith

I have raced at both and track-wise, to me, there is no comparison. Donnington is a great bike and tin top track whereas Silverstone is just made for (modern) flat out F1 racing. I'm wondering if Bernie is up to his old tricks again because I cannot see Donnington getting the job done in just 2 years given the vagaries of British weather let alone Harry Wheatcroft dipping his hand that deep into his pocket. Don't the track also have to pay to get F1? Sounds like a double whammy to me...:worried:

I agree about the scaffolding stands at Silverstone though - bit of a joke really....:thumbsdown:

If it does go to Donnington, unless the new rules really do allow for side by side racing and overtaking then they will have just put another high tech procession on the calendar - more evidence that it's now a business not a sport.

Back