Finished GT40 Kitcar Build Boast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello GT40 Fans, Owners, and... ..Project Managers.. narf

I noticed there is alot of talk about what Could be possible, but not enough about what Is possible. There are alot of kits out there unfinished, and for the few of you that have finished your GT40 project you have Got to feel pretty good about what You made happen, and This thread is about just that. Boasting your build! I..WE want to know what you used to make it work! What reason you chose that particular route, and More importantly what you would have done differently givin the chance to travel back into time.. The things specificly I think most people would benefit from would be
Powerplant
Adaptor plates/Gearboxes/Suppliers/Brands/Shops
Transmission/Transaxel/Suppliers/Brands/Shops
Driveshafts/Halfshafts/Suppliers/Brands/Shops
Frame/Suspensión/Brakes

Any model numbers, years, or part numbers you might have would probably be helpful to some.

I think this is going to be a great way for people to really see whats possible, and give the not so experienced builders a better sence of certainty when choosing parts for their project.

Basicy, all the answers are allready been given and can be found here on gt40s.com.

A wise man (Mike Pass) once told me before I started my build " If you can't build a car, you can't build a GT40 " GT40 kits don't come with a Tamiya or Revell build manual. Its all about your own creativity and reaching your goal your own way.
All is possible with each individual budged.
Budged is what makes certain decisions which route to go and which parts and engine combo to use.

I followed lots of build threads overhere (inspiration) and made my own build plan. When I got stuck I just asked overhere and always got the answer that suited me.
I finished my build in three years. Well basicaly its never finished.

This is in my opinion how GT40s.com works.

Howard Jones

Supporter
The most important and valuable tool is this website. GT40S.com The first thing you should do when you reach the point where you have made the decision to own your own gt40 or another mid-engined prototype like those found here is to become a supporter of this website. And when you sign up PUT YOUR LOCATION IN THE MEMBER INFORMATION. Home country state/province/whatever and city. This will get you a lot of nearby help from some of the most talented hot rod people I have ever known.

Thanks again Ron.

Neil

Supporter
Basicy, all the answers are allready been given and can be found here on gt40s.com.

A wise man (Mike Pass) once told me before I started my build " If you can't build a car, you can't build a GT40 " GT40 kits don't come with a Tamiya or Revell build manual. Its all about your own creativity and reaching your goal your own way.
Budged is what makes certain decisions which route to go and which parts and engine combo to use.

I followed lots of build threads overhere (inspiration) and made my own build plan. When I got stuck I just asked overhere and always got the answer that suited me.

"Well basically its never finished." Absolutely true!

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Of the dozens of cars I have built or assisted building, I can not think of any that I would have ever called complete, save for a couple of 100 point customer restorations (Not 40’s though)…

Yeaaa I get that, but knowing options, avenues, and outcomes ahead of Time isnt neccisarily a bad thing.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Michael, read through all the build threads, and pretty much everything you are asking is in them. Tons of information and ideas from some VERY talented builders.

Regards Brian

You guys all have time to tell me to read but none of you took a moment to contribute to my post. Im not married. Im not trying to escape the wife. I work 16 hours a day most days. reading makes me sleepy, and i have memory issues. reading 1600 pages of everyones builds gathering small pieces of information along the way is not an efficient use of my time. Im trying to develop a solid plan using information you had time to provide and chose not to. why? why even comment?? is it the suffering the pain and the bloodshed and money spent to get to where you are make you guys feel justified in witholding information that could save someone else time and money. I dont get it.. It was a simple question.

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I agree, you don’t get it. I’m 30 years older than you and still work between 60-84 hours a week. Reading makes me tired also. Some have offered meaningful advice. Most everyone here work’s also. They have already put it out there in their build logs.

Regards Brian

Neil

Supporter
You guys all have time to tell me to read but none of you took a moment to contribute to my post. Im not married. Im not trying to escape the wife. I work 16 hours a day most days. reading makes me sleepy, and i have memory issues. reading 1600 pages of everyones builds gathering small pieces of information along the way is not an efficient use of my time. Im trying to develop a solid plan using information you had time to provide and chose not to. why? why even comment?? is it the suffering the pain and the bloodshed and money spent to get to where you are make you guys feel justified in witholding information that could save someone else time and money. I dont get it.. It was a simple question.
Well, I'm 46 years older than you are but I know how to do research. Don't expect anyone to tell you what to do- look it up!

Chris Kouba

Supporter
If you're expecting a spoon feed situation, you're building the wrong "kit". A large part of a build is the exploration and discovery.

It's easy to pick out who are the apex builders for any given vendor- Chuck and Ryan for RCR and Scott Calabro for Tornado, for instance, come to mind quickly for prime examples. Any GT build is going to be an individual endeavor, so my choice of chassis, motor, gearbox- and even livery... is going to be very specific to the specific builder.

Re-reading your original post to answer your actual question though, I'm not sure I would do anything differently. Maybe I'd choose not to screw up the paint on the first go-around, but that wasn't much of a conscious choice, and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. My GT build was a roller coaster of awesomeness and misery, but coming out of it, I don't think twice about doing something I really want to do- and I have a wide variety of mechanical accomplishments (like this and these) to show for it. I'm not sure that would be the case if I hadn't built my GT.

The best thing to do if you're thinking about it is to get out and MEET people. Go to car shows, visit manufacturers, PM people with real questions, go visit people and put hands on their builds. This forum is a fantastic place. Take advantage of it.

Lol. You
If you're expecting a spoon feed situation, you're building the wrong "kit". A large part of a build is the exploration and discovery.

It's easy to pick out who are the apex builders for any given vendor- Chuck and Ryan for RCR and Scott Calabro for Tornado, for instance, come to mind quickly for prime examples. Any GT build is going to be an individual endeavor, so my choice of chassis, motor, gearbox- and even livery... is going to be very specific to the specific builder.

Re-reading your original post to answer your actual question though, I'm not sure I would do anything differently. Maybe I'd choose not to screw up the paint on the first go-around, but that wasn't much of a conscious choice, and what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. My GT build was a roller coaster of awesomeness and misery, but coming out of it, I don't think twice about doing something I really want to do- and I have a wide variety of mechanical accomplishments (like this and these) to show for it. I'm not sure that would be the case if I hadn't built my GT.

The best thing to do if you're thinking about it is to get out and MEET people. Go to car shows, visit manufacturers, PM people with real questions, go visit people and put hands on their builds. This forum is a fantastic place. Take advantage of it.
No sir. Not expecting spoon fed anything. I asked a question about drivetrain and powerplants and adaptor plates because everyone has to choose their own setup. In doing so creates a result. Some may be good, some bad, but im sure theres alot of both good and bad to any setup. Creating a discussion about the various options out there in one place is a way to organize these very important details with guys that know from experience what their car does for them or what it doesnt do and what they could have done.. its a dissusion about the basics, the things worth considering when building a GT40. I can build a rocket, fire it off, and ride it into your moms ass with my eyes closed. So.. Thanks for all of your "opinions" but i think im just going to solo dolo this whole project. There is nothing you guys can tell me i cant find out on my own right? Well. My middle fingers up

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back