How cool is this tool!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Awesome! I have 2d and a 3d digitizer but all done by hand, the product they are making with this digitizer would take a minimum of 5 axes cnc. Really impressive because the file they are producing from the digitizer will work in any multi axis cnc. How many does China have?

Last edited:
That digitizer is really cool to reproduce parts or draw existing parts real quick in SolidWorks for instance.
The "Printer" is an amazing tool also to examening your newly designed parts in real world. Last year I saw a TV documentary about, I believe Williams Formula One team and they had two or three of that kind of machines to make new aerodynamic parts for windtunnel testing. They where running around the clock if I remember correctly in the ever going battle to produce the best downforce/resistance coëfficient for their F1 cars.
The machines they had, worked with laser to solidefy a solution at the exact point. Real high tech stuff and expensive too.
Like Jay said you could make molds with it and use them to cast parts or make Carbonfiber pieces. Very usefull.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Bill, that can be done easy with a 3 axis digitizer, the one I have is Proliner, its good for a 30 radius so if you can fit it into that 30 foot circle it can be digitized. Then it outputs a STL or DXF file. It would be slow but would work. The scanner digitizer has been around for a long time, but the printer is new to me and really is amazing. It is something from a "back to the future movie". I think that there is more to it than just scan and print, someone must have to use a 3d program like solid works to put the file to the printer. I would think?

Keith

How many does China have?

:laugh:

Need to go to work on the quaility of the steel now....:stunned:

It's a great piece of kit allright - a plagiarists dream! It might bring down the price of hard-to-find parts eventually and I'll bet many OEM's are sweating a little...:worried:

I am blown away with this. I can see how it would make a one piece item or representation of a multi piece item. What I find amazing is the ability to make a complete item that has moving parts. Had to watch the video again to believe it.

Bill

RichardH

AKA The Mad Hat Man
I am blown away with this. I can see how it would make a one piece item or representation of a multi piece item. What I find amazing is the ability to make a complete item that has moving parts. Had to watch the video again to believe it.

Bill

Unfortunately Bill - i cant - how it can, by means of a laser, identify screw threads inside of a housing is beyond me. Which is why I am sceptical.

I suspect the bit they glossed over is the data maniplulation, when you have to add information to the scanned file to show clearances, screw threads etc.

Regards
Andy

I think that maybe every individual component making up the complex examples given were either scanned or drawn in CAD separately, then 'virtually' assembled in CAD as a whole unit. It's this file that's finally sent to the printer.

We live in wonderous times.

Last edited:
these tools are used all of the time in the plastics and many other industries for producing prototypes. Stereolithography Prototype, SLA Prototyping, Selective Laser Sintering (SLS), SLS Prototype, 3D Printing, 3D Printing Rapid Prototyping, 3D Prototype Printing are all versions of this technology and have been in use since the mid 90's.

The following youtube file is another good demo for this technology.
YouTube - Learn About Rapid Prototyping SLA

Back