How far into the build before paint?

How far do most people recommend building the GT40 before getting it painted? I’m wondering how far I should go into the build before sending out to body shop for final fitment of body lines and paint? I assume I’ll have to take pretty much everything out when getting it painted.

thanks.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Standard practice seems to be to build the chassis (including engine/exhaust/transaxle/suspension), rough suspension alignment, fit the body, remove the body to wire and plumb the car, and then reinstall the painted body, finalize the interior and install the glass. Well, that's the basic order that's worked for me..

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Yup, you will have the body of and on a few times. You should be able to complete every aspect on your build except glass. After you have the body fitted perfect with latches and pins COMPLETE. Take it off for paint and reinstall,,,, aaaaaaaaa and then it's all worth it.

Had mine finished 95% before paint. After paint is was just a matter of putting the body parts back and get the windows & lights back in. and some minor adjustments here & there.
Mine went to IVA fully done.

Glenn M

Supporter
Why would I wait until registration to get painted? I would have to completely tear the car down to get it painted.

Because over here Pat, our very helpful IVA inspectors can decide that it fails due to something on the bodywork, maybe an edge not having a big enough radius (I kid you not) or, whatever is the flavour for that day. As you can imagine, if it's painted already, it is a little bit of a pain!

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Because over here Pat, our very helpful IVA inspectors can decide that it fails due to something on the bodywork, maybe an edge not having a big enough radius (I kid you not) or, whatever is the flavour for that day. As you can imagine, if it's painted already, it is a little bit of a pain!
Exactly Glenn……back when mine went through the test the first inspector did not like where we mounted the rear view mirrors and stated exactly where they needed to go.. so drill holes and fix in required spot (2nd examiner said that was hopeless and change them back)

also wanted the inside of the nostril radiussed, so I had sandpaper in my pocket and did it there and then…..no point having to do a third test!

Ian

Bill Kearley

Supporter
Morten, with my extended build time, about 18 months and all the action in the shop, storage of painted parts, and risk I'd be redoing my paint job.

Rod Dittmar

Supporter
Pat,
Shortly after I received my car, I took it to my painter to have a look at it and do some preliminary stuff. After that, I retrieved it and built the car to about 95%. I put 100 miles on it recently and sorted a couple of things out. 2 weeks ago I drove it over to the painter for some additional body work ( I received a few 'looks' driving this thing in the middle of Winter with snow on the ground!). We then removed the lights, windows, etc. I'll now be heading back there on Thursday to remove the body so he can apply the paint. I plan on bringing the chassis back to my house to finish a few things easier done w/o the body attached. After the body parts are painted, I'll take the chassis back and re-install the body. I do have the benefit of having my painter being a good friend and only a few miles away. Hoping for an early Spring here in S/E Michigan, USA.
Rod

Back