For those who live in warmer places...

Winter in New England is winding down and this year wasn't the worst we've seen but for those of you who live in warmer parts of the world,like Oz or maybe the southwestern US,these pics should make you feel a bit more fortunate.These shots were taken a few years back in a town on the Connecticut shore.One shot shows the town dock taken from standing out in(on?) the harbor. The ice on the pilings indicates the tidal rise/fall but it still had some to drop,maybe another foot or so. This is the ocean, guys;salt water frozen thick enough to drive a car on even with that tidal rise and fall every 6 hours.The other shot was taken standing next to the channel buoy,frozen in the current flow. I've been in colder places,like a few hours north of Kirkland Lake(for you guys in the North Bay Ontario area) which got down to around -45 to -60 F,but after some point it's just plain cold. So the next time you fellas in Melbourne feel chilly,go back to these photos.

Attachments

• Stony Creek,CT.jpg
    Stony Creek,CT.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 267
  • channel buoy,Stony Creek.jpg
    channel buoy,Stony Creek.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 259
I have had the (mis)fortune of dealing with harsh winters in Kansas, Pennsylvania,
New York, and Massachusetts. Guess that's why I chose San Diego when I went
off to college, and haven't looked back.

Ian

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
I'm in Texas. It was about 85-90 last week but this week it's been steady in the 30's. In Texas we have a saying, if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes, it'll change. It's been rainy and balls ass cold here as of late. Not that balls ass cold though... WOW!!

I'm in Texas. It was about 85-90 last week but this week it's been steady in the 30's. In Texas we have a saying, if you don't like the weather, wait 10 minutes, it'll change. It's been rainy and balls ass cold here as of late. Not that balls ass cold though... WOW!!

Yep - my experiences in Kansas were about the same. I clearly recall one fine late
summer day, peaked at 104F @ 1:00PM, and fell to 40F @ 6:00PM. Nothing like
a 60F drop over the course of 5 hours ...

Of course, I did live in Miami back in 1977 when we had that once in a lifetime dusting of
snow ...

Ian

There are nicer times of the year in New England.The one I guess we're best known for is early Autumn. Quality on the photos are not the best due to scanning/cell phone camera but you can still see the appeal of the season.The only trouble is all the 'leaf-peepers'(tourists) clogging the roads and not looking where they're going. Lodging,antique shops and restaurants do a brisk business.

Attachments

• Cheshire in fall.jpg
    Cheshire in fall.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 153
  • Mountain rd ,Cheshire.jpg
    Mountain rd ,Cheshire.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Back