Silver state challenge

Howard Jones

Supporter
Dave, No. I have known a couple of guys that ran bikes and cars at Bonneville. The deal there is you had better bring about 6 guys with you to clean the car after each run. HUGE amount of work taking the car apart down to pieces just to get the salt out of everything. The same thing goes for Murdock dry lake in SoCal. except its dirt....very fine dirt.

The same goes for a bike except of course less to take apart but no less salt in everything.

The Silver-state deal looks like fun except that under about the 130 class it might be a bit boring. Above 150 and the car prep is getting pretty close to a full on race car. Cooling and tires are the main deal I would guess. A lot of open road for race tires and a lot of very high speed for street tires. It is in fact very dangerous. No run offs, barriers, or tire walls. Going off there in a street car at those speeds....well check the Nissan video. By the time he left the road he was down to third gear....and it still took the car apart. Without the full on cage he would have been dead. I do believe there have been people killed there.

The full length on-board is around the 130 class I would guess.

I bet the party in Vegas would be worth going to..........

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I have done the Silver State in a Pantera and Howard is right about it being boring. I was in the 130 class and once you are to speed you just set there and wait for the finish line. You can get serious about trying to win the class and spend a lot of time watching the clock and speed. The fun is getting there, the people, the cars, etc.

Howard is also right about it being dangerous. I was standing on the side of the road when a Corvette bodied race car got sideways at 218 mph. It vaulted probably 20 feet in the air and proceded to come completly apart except for the cage. It ended up way off the road among the rock and weeds. I just knew that he was dead but he climbed out of it. The full cage saved him. Yes there have been several deaths during the years.

Jack Houpe is taking his 40 to west Texas next week for the BORR event that is very similar to the Silver State.

Will I do it in the 40, yes. Jack, Kirby and I plan to start doing more of these events. In the past we have had "Team Pantera" that challenge the other brands. The fun is kidding and joking with the Corvette, Porsche, etc. guys about our antique cars.

If you do Silver State look up "Mad Dog" Antinucci in the Dark Blue Pantera. He is the fearless leader of Team Pantera. He is worth a lot of entertainment and is always there.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
If you guys are heading to Big Bend Open Road Race, and you happen to find a way to cruise through Brownwood on your way... Let me know. We will meet up for lunch, I'd love to meet you guys. Give me a shout if you can make it this way.

Laters,

Brian
512-276-0063

Thanks for the input guys. I have been considering some type of racing event to be a part of. We have the east coast timing assoc. in Maxon not too far I hear that is an old runway. Big bend woud be alot closer. The people you meet are always the best part. If all goes well maybe next spring I'll be taking the 40 to the mountains for a spin.

Dave Ward who built the Big Red Camaro just finished the chassis for my AMX/3 replica. What do you think?<o:p></o:p>
Tom<o:p></o:p>
black2.jpg
<o:p></o:p>

homecoming0a.jpg

homecoming2.jpg

homecoming9a.jpg

homecoming4.jpg

homecoming6.jpg

homecoming8.jpg

Thanks Gary and Dave! There is a lot of work to be done making the door jams and new molds before we can sell these body kits to the public, over 100 people on the mailing list already. The second one I build will be a straight plug in electric. A friend of mine has a Factory Five, Daytona coupe that runs 11's in the quarter mile. How about an EV in the Silver State???
Tom

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
If you guys are heading to Big Bend Open Road Race, and you happen to find a way to cruise through Brownwood on your way... Let me know. We will meet up for lunch, I'd love to meet you guys. Give me a shout if you can make it this way.

Laters,

Brian
512-276-0063

Brain, I didn't read your message till just now, sorry, I don't know if we came close to you or not we took 20 out of Fort Worth and drove none stop. The race is Saturday, I qualified and doing the race at 110 MPH which is max speed for first timers. I feel comfortable with the road and the speed for this first time. I will be taking video, if I can figure out how to utube it I will.
later Jack
Oh there is one other Australian build here that has been trying to break 200 MPH he has made it to 198.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
Brain, I didn't read your message till just now, sorry, I don't know if we came close to you or not we took 20 out of Fort Worth and drove none stop. The race is Saturday, I qualified and doing the race at 110 MPH which is max speed for first timers. I feel comfortable with the road and the speed for this first time. I will be taking video, if I can figure out how to utube it I will.
later Jack
Oh there is one other Australian build here that has been trying to break 200 MPH he has made it to 198.

No problem Jack. Maybe next time, or you guys could swing through on your way back. LOL Not that huge of a detour, I don't think. Either way, be safe and good luck!! Look forward to the video most definitely!!!

Back