Converting plastic back to oil

flatchat(Chris)

Supporter
Oil based plastics = polypropylene, polyethylene, nylons etc and there derivative alloys, (olefins) to extract oil from these may cost more than what you get.

Non oil based = PETs, PVCs, PCs, acrylics, styrenics which is used for most packaging items (incidently--these are usually glueable)

And then theres Resins

So much for my 30+ years in the plastics game-- thermosetting, thermoforming, injection, extrusion, blow, film etc (and NO bloody fibreglassing)

Last edited:
Some years ago they built a facility next to a Butterball processing plant that could do the same thing. This process of breaking plastic down into oil also seems to work on flesh as well. They called it "thermal depolymerization". You can read about it here: Anything Into Oil: Technological savvy could turn 600 million tons of turkey guts and other waste into 4 billion barrels of light Texas crude each year BRAD LEMLEY / Discover v.24, n.5, 1may03
I guess a problem with this was that it takes quite a bit of energy to do this. Supposedly, the net energy effect was negative.

I wonder if this process can break down thermosetting plastics like Epoxy and polyesters.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Frankly I think it's BS...

What were the half-dozen un-mentioned Wonder-Nuggets he dropped into the container after stuffing full of styrene and other plastic rubbish>?

I wonder if this guy also invented the Hydrogen Fuel Cell?
YouTube - HHo fuel cell explosion

Honestly though - I'm sure you can make all sorts of conversions happen, it's just that I think you'll expend far more energy to make it than you'll end up with in the end...
Just like these hydrogen fuel cells..

Back