Transaxle Primer?

Ron Earp

Admin
We should make a factual transaxle primer. With the number of folks we get on the site asking about transaxles I'm sure that it'd get some read time and help people out when they are considering a mid-engine car.

1. There are no transaxle setups available for <$3000 that will reliably handle 500hp.

2. The cost of a proper transaxle is considerable and if it is stretching your budget then you might not be able to afford to build the car.

3. Building your own transaxle is not less expensive than making use of one of the stronger OEM units from Porsche or using a ZF. It just isn't.

4. ?

Ron Earp

Admin
That link could be point #1.

Or this could be point #1.
Cheap, High Horsepower Capable, Durable. Pick two.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
We should make a factual transaxle primer. With the number of folks we get on the site asking about transaxles I'm sure that it'd get some read time and help people out when they are considering a mid-engine car.

1. There are no transaxle setups available for <$3000 that will reliably handle 500hp.

2. The cost of a proper transaxle is considerable and if it is stretching your budget then you might not be able to afford to build the car.

3. Building your own transaxle is not less expensive than making use of one of the stronger OEM units from Porsche or using a ZF. It just isn't.

4. ?

4. Points 1 through 3 are totally correct, to think otherwise will cost you $$$$$ long term.

[I doubt that there is a new clutch/5 speed manual trans & rear axle assy combo available for say a modern 500hp Mustang ( If there is such a beast ) at under that $$ value, which is essentially the minimum of what you should be looking for in car's like these .

4. ?

With serious thought applied to 1.2.3. I dont see a need for a 4., make it a sticky & tell em how to find some pertinent threads & read, if they are capable of that basic function..:sad:

Back