Bits to Buy along the Way

new to the forum and looking to gain an insight into what parts I can acquire on my way to eventually getting a kit. My thought with this is that if I buy some of the cheaper parts I’m partly invested in the dream of building a GT40, and if it all goes wrong I can recondition it all and sell it on. For reference the kit I’m looking at is the space frame tornado sports cars kit but I’m open to suggestions on this.

The biggest item I think I can tick off is the transaxle and maybe the engine as I can buy these in less than perfect condition and recondition them. Transaxle I’m thinking of the Audi 01E or 01X units as these are cheap and easy to get in the U.K. but im also considering stretching to a Renault transaxle. The next question is engine supplier, again happy to buy one in need of a rebuild however finding a ford 302 in the U.K. is difficult. I can rebuild it in slow time and reconditioning them will be a learning exercise at the same time.

are there any other parts I can look at acquiring in slow time that would be good for any of the main U.K. made kits?

all help and knowledge is appreciated

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Hi, whatever kit you buy, buy the best chassis you can afford. Think of suspension, which kit offers you a good handling setup. And resale value at the end. And get invoices for all parts. Especially engine reconditioned to as new, gearbox, chassis, uprights, brakes, steering, bodywork. Many pits to fall into halfway through the build if a supplier cannot or won’t supply you with parts. Do your homework. Visit the suppliers, go to club meets, GT40 Enthusiast club. Talk with owners:)

UN1-13 is easier to fit than O1E, gear linkage, flywheel, clutch, adaptor plate, bellhousing - all off the shelf bits. O1E is oneoff flywheel... lots of work with gearlinkage.
And an engine with UN1 sits 2in lower in the chassis than one with an O1E.

Good luck

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
Rods ‘n sods classifields, pistonheads, real steel for engine parts and engine build with engine dating certification documentation needed for dvla registration, ebay set up search for ford V8 engine, americanautoparts.co.uk for block and parts, roadcraftuk.co.uk, ak sportscars... well I’m sure I forgot some...
Merlin motorsport, Burton... car builders solutions CBS
Any others guys?
Morten

Back