GT40 Replica Manufacturer Choices

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Hello,

Which replica company did you choose to buy your GT40 from? What was it that made you pick that particular manufacturer over another?

Thought this may be interesting to see from the owners why they went with who and what was it that made them go with who they did.

Last edited:
Hi George,
I chose Roaring Forties because of their kit breakdown (meaning I can spread the spend as required), they are polite (also to note they did not bad mouth other brands product when I was making enquirys), extremely helpful staff and importantly the cars turn out very well and have a heap of options.

Kind regards, Gus.

Thought this may be interesting to see from the owners why they went with who and what was it that made them go with who they did.

If you were trying to sound like you typed this while on a hallucinogenic substance or otherwise intoxicated, you have done an exemplary job. My hat is off to you G. If not, you should seek the assistance of a twelve step program.

I'm just kidding. You should go with the RCR cause it's aluminum and Fran's a nice guy.

Last edited:
Yep, Frans your man, he will sort you out, but dont take my advice, Ive never bought anything from him or anyone else for that matter...:)

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
I like Tornado. They can build their cars out of carbon fiber both body and chasis. A car weighing so little only needs small horsepower to go fast, in return that means the car can go further on 1 tank of fuel. :D

George

I just order my CAV GT40 one month ago so I know how hard this decision is. Here’s my main

1. Does a continuation car matter to you, if so then Superformance is your answer. To me a replica is a replica it will never be +1m dollar car
2. Will you race it and or drive it on the street. I’m doing both and found some of features of the CAV to be great, power brakes, doors close like a production car, rear glass both bulkhead and engine bay
3. Drive all of them, that’s how I made my final decision
4. Shape of the car, each replica mfg are different

From all the research I did all the major manufactures (SPF, CAV, RCR) are great cars and it comes down to personal taste
alan

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I bought an SPF because one day should I ever want to sell it, I won't lose my rear end doing so. That is not to say all the other mfg are making junk.

Not that I am in the Market, but were I to consider my next purchase, it would most probably be an SPF. In part, for similar reasns as Micheal above.

All good GT40 replica's fetch decent resale money these days, but I suspect, SPF may perform better residually over the longer term.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
While certainly the badge "continuation" should carry some additional value - I've not observed used SPFs selling for any more or any faster than many other replica manufacturers cars...

Good points Randy and Pat.

Having lost circa 60,000 pounds over three years on my daily driver, I understand residual values ought not to play a big part in this particular decision, as they are toys, but it may still rank up there on the checklist of boxes somewhere to some people. Now that I own my daily outright and it's still valued at around 60K I choose to keep it and not renew. It's all about what suits your circumstances at the time I guess. Don't get me wrong, of course I knew it was coming and made the choice. Looking at the car today in all it's shiny glory, I can't see the point of taking such a hit again. So what didn't concern me three years ago, does concern me now. Mabe it's an "I've reached that age' kind of thing?

But I did say my reason was 'in part' considering residuals. Buy what you like and can afford is all that should really matter. If I were buying, I like SPF MK11's. Black please, silver stripe, gold wheels.

I do think (ducks for cover) that in the main, all the choices from existing manufacturers fall into three catagories in no particular order:

1. SPF has a product
2. RCR has a product
3. All other supliers have a similar product.

Good points Randy and Pat.

Having lost circa 60,000 pounds over three years on my daily driver, I understand residual values ought not to play a big part in this particular decision, as they are toys, but it may still rank up there on the checklist of boxes somewhere to some people. Now that I own my daily outright and it's still valued at around 60K I choose to keep it and not renew. It's all about what suits your circumstances at the time I guess. Don't get me wrong, of course I knew it was coming and made the choice. Looking at the car today in all it's shiny glory, I can't see the point of taking such a hit again. So what didn't concern me three years ago, does concern me now. Mabe it's an "I've reached that age' kind of thing?

But I did say my reason was 'in part' considering residuals. Buy what you like and can afford is all that should really matter. If I were buying, I like SPF MK11's. Black please, silver stripe, gold wheels.

A very similar situation to me Mark. My daily driver cost me £50k in depreciation over a few years, not including running costs. It is a consideration for a GT40 if you aren't minted, but having said that, people who make money when they sell these cars are rarer than rocking horse shit, such is the love (read money) that people pour into them to make them as special as they can.

If we all costed our time into the build as well, then we'd all be into heavy negative equity very quickly. The good news for a lot of guys building them is that they do it because they enjoy it (just look in the build threads, RCR's, CAV's, Tornado's etc) and there are few posts that I have ever seen that whinge about the time spent on their projects.

My advice (for what it's worth) is to pick the car that best suits your fabrication skill level, measure the level of support that you can reasonably expect, and take into account your geographical location against the manufacturer you choose.

Arguably some are a higher quality product than others, but that is also heavily mirrored by their cost...

Cheers,

Graham.

Keith

George, as you are in Australia, try and contact a Mr Robert Logan. I understand he purchased a Tornado once and changed a few things then called it "his". There are quite a few RF's out there today and very nice they are too. (Not to be confused with the new RF company who are more fab in a very large way)

If you do find Mr Logan, get an address and phone number as I know several other members here that would like to make contact with him and say hello... :)

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
George, as you are in Australia, try and contact a Mr Robert Logan. I understand he purchased a Tornado once and changed a few things then called it "his". There are quite a few RF's out there today and very nice they are too. (Not to be confused with the new RF company who are more fab in a very large way)

If you do find Mr Logan, get an address and phone number as I know several other members here that would like to make contact with him and say hello... :)

Keith, you are naughty.:evil:

George I chose a DRB, primarily as the factory is not far from me and I could keep an eye on the build. More than happy with the final result.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Interesting variety of reasons

Michael I can understand the reason for SPF in that sense, life, finances and even taste is not always something that does not alter, so though these cars as said are not baught for resale value, it is good to have it there considering Carol himself has endorsed the SPF as a continuation (unless I understood the video wrong where Carol was there)

Interesting variety of reasons

Michael I can understand the reason for SPF in that sense, life, finances and even taste is not always something that does not alter, so though these cars as said are not baught for resale value, it is good to have it there considering Carol himself has endorsed the SPF as a continuation (unless I understood the video wrong where Carol was there)

Unfortunately George, that isn't much of a ringing endorsement...

Back