GT40 Replica Manufacturer Choices

Well stated, Mike. I was recently looking to update a sporty that I have, as a newer model had many improvements and I'd get a better gear change, more flexible engine, quieter cruising, more space, and so on. Then I stopped and said hang about, if I want a quiet, comfortable roomy car I've already got a very nice four door sedan that does all that. What I'm enjoying here is the character, so I'll stick with the old sporty.

Keith

I still don't think that George really gets the fact that the suspension design and layout are from the '60's and that if you stick with the chassis as is whatever he does with the body/engine it will still handle like a '60's sports car (albeit a very good '60's sports car).

What he needs to do is study up on suspension designs and setups so that he understands this.

"Design to Win" by Carroll Smith comes to mind....

Keith

I have always thought that what George needs is a reality check. We all know it's not going to happen, and yet we are drawn here like moths to a flame.

To be honest, Georges' threads have been very useful in facilitating us learning about each other's various ideas on 'modernising' a '40 and even the feasibility of doing so and I would like to take this opportunity to thank him for throwing such a viral question into the circle.

The fact that he has been so persistent and hasn't allowed himself to be put off is a great point in his favour, for if he is to achieve this 'impossible' dream, he will need every ounce of it.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Drove my SPF for the first time yesterday. Wonderful car! Night and day difference between it and the Ford GT. Drive or ride in one first George before getting too far ahead of yourself. You may love it, you may not. I loved it :)

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Drove my SPF for the first time yesterday. Wonderful car! Night and day difference between it and the Ford GT. Drive or ride in one first George before getting too far ahead of yourself. You may love it, you may not. I loved it :)

Like I told you whan you were looking, the GT40 is a tighter, more agile unit than the Ford GT. Not to dis the GT, but there is a "you wear it" feel to the GT40 that is absent in the GT.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
I have "modernised" my 40 by installing the following.
Air Conditioning...A must in our climate.
Big disc brakes....Safety
Upgraded suspension...Safety
Cruise control...Great for highway driving and useful to keep me at the speed limit.
Radio/ CD player....Bloody useless I cannot hear it.
So I am not a purist but I have a great car that is usable, comfortable to drive and still a lot quicker than my talent at the track.

Pete McCluskey.

Lifetime Supporter
Pete as my car has a almost stock LS1 and a NSW drive by complying exhaust, it is not much louder than the average car apart from the intake roar on full throttle. I can hear my MP3 easily. (all old peoples music according to my son)

My car http://www.gt40s.com/forum/drb-gt40s/27217-drb-46-now-road.html

Darrell
DRB LS1/G50

Of course Daz my exhaust is drive by complying for QLD as well,:sneaky:
I'm just a little hard of hearing.
Nice car BTW.

George

CURRENTLY BANNED
Thanks Mike. In other words, for 250,000 gelscoe, a person can have the feeling of a car made 'totaly original' rather than needing to find an original.

I see your point there.

Back