Sunbeam Tiger???

Hi Guys

I looked at a 1965 Sunbeam Tiger last night that is in pieces and has been apart for a good 25 years. I think it is a real Tiger judging by the tags and some features like the steering rack and trunk mounted battery. It is a roller w/ no engine and transmission. The hard top, all body panels, glass, seats, and gas tanks are accounted for. It does not have too much rust but needs a good amount of body work (someone has already started). The one thing I did not like was the condition of the X brace underneath. I'm not sure if it is damaged from being jacked up at these points or if someone took a hammer to it (maybe to clear a larger exhaust?).

It would need a full restoration and I'm sure alot of parts may be hard to track down. I think it could be bought in the $3-5K range. It would be a no brainer if the undercarriage had not been butchered.

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with Tigers and had any input?

Keith

What's not to like?

ResizeWizard-1-1.jpg

What drive train does it have - any?

289? 260? Toploader? 9"?

I believe it still has the Dana 44 rear end but no engine or trans. That picture looks like a LHD racer? I wonder if those hard tops like to stay in place on a track?

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Sounds like an interesting project. Saw 3 Tigers racing in the UK Classic Car Championship recently, one of them really flew. If i can help you source any fittings to help you, please let me know and i will pass on contact information.

Think early might have had 260's, later were 271hp 289's...trans was Borg Warner T10. There is a guy from Oregon? who occasionally brings one down to NZ for SFOS race series.

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
Chris, to answer some of your questions:

Parts for the Tiger are generally readily available. There are lots of restorations out there and since there is still a fair amount of activity with this car parts are not too hard to get, with some notable exceptions.

Check the VIN and of course the tell tale signs of it being a Tiger rather than an Alpine.

If complete except for the motor, $3-5k may be a good deal. A fully restored, nicely done Mk. 1 (the 260) is probably worth from a low of $15k to a high of $30k and a Mk.II (rare, the one with the 289 originally) maybe $10k more than that.

Note also that the factory sold a lot of options under the moniker "LAT" or "LA Tiger." These included hoods and wheels and other items. These generally add value if original; in some cases significant value. See if the parts collection includes any of this stuff.

When I was looking to buy a "fun car" about 10 years ago, this is one I considered (ultimately got an Esprit). Handling and brakes are iffy but can be fixed but the V8 is fun and the car is light. The hardtop is high quality and yes it "stays on."

Good luck with your project!

Thanks for all the info!!

I am still debating this and have to call the guy back. It may have even sold by now and thats fine too. Its a tough call because its somewhat of a rare car to see for sale locally. It would be fun a project but its also in pieces and hard to determine exactly whats there or missing.

Keith

Put it like this, I don't think you'd ever lose money on it especially if it is a MKII version 289. They are fetching big money over here. It is a left hand drive yes?

Its an MKI and the original 260 has now been found. Yes, it is left hand drive. I think I am going to pass though. Let me know if any other New Englanders are interested.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Its an MKI and the original 260 has now been found. Yes, it is left hand drive. I think I am going to pass though. Let me know if any other New Englanders are interested.

NOt interested, just curious...wasn't there a HP version of the 260? As I recall Shelby put 260's in the first few Cobras he built...can't imagine them being the same 2-V 260 as a friend had in his Fairlane.

If there was a 260HP, what made it an HP? Did it have the extra balance weight on the crank like the 289HP? Did it have a mechanical valvetrain like the 289HP?

Intriguing...if the original 260 is a HP version, this might even be a more rare bird than the 289HP versions (although probably not as desirable). Rarity can be a factor in vehicle value, too....

Anyone out there able to satisfy my curiousity?

Cheers!

Doug

in a book (a car catalogus) I have, they mentioning a Sunbeam Tiger 1 & 2
the first had a 4260cc engine maybe the last 3 digits were used for the "260"?
the type 2 had the 4727cc engine.

in a book (a car catalogus) I have, they mentioning a Sunbeam Tiger 1 & 2
the first had a 4260cc engine maybe the last 3 digits were used for the "260"?
the type 2 had the 4727cc engine.

4260cc = 260 cubic inches
4727cc = 289 cubic inches

I think (?) the 260 engines in the Tigers had four-barrel carbs, but I don't think they were 'hi-po' engines with solid lifters etc. Others would definitely know more than I do, though!

Jeff Young

GT40s Supporter
The 260 made 165 hp and was a four barrell. The 289 made 200 hp, also a four barrell.

The 289 Mk.II cars -- original ones -- are very rare (500 built maybe?) and worth a 10-20k premium over the Mk. Is with the 260.

I do not think anything exotic was done to the production 260's. The first prototypes may have been a different story though. I believe Ken Miles finished the first one in his spare time and then the official prototype was done in house at Shelby. Does anyone know what happened to these cars?

There were 3 coupes also built for Lemans, I think only 2 actually raced. I imagine these may have been Shelby sourced 289's but not sure?

new member jeff here do any the members who are in this discussion have contact info for the seller of this alpine/tiger please pm it to me thank you

Back