windshields for sale

If there is anyone here in the US who is interested in purchasing a windshield for their 40 please contact me. I have searched out a manufacturer who is willing to produce glass for me in quantity and anyone who is interested in a replacement or spare at a very attractive price can let me know and I will include their needs in my order. My email is [email protected]

Thought I'd let everybody know that the windshields I promised months ago have finally arrived. I plan to have them in my possession by the 24th of October. The price is $250 plus shipping. There are two different types which vary primarily in curvature. I will be glad to help you determine which you need. I will have both in stock.

Dan White

Dan,

I made some measurements. I think mine is the 5 1/4".

I also have bunch of numbers that are in the lower right hand side of the windshield (looking from ouside of the car).

Here they are;

E11 43R-00075
DOT 17-M331-AS1

Do these numbers mean anything to you?!

G

GLASS SPECIFICATIONS from http://www.fordfestiva.com/service/servglas.htm

Federal Government establishes requirements for many products that the public uses on a daily basis in order to make sure prudent steps are taken to ensure the safety of the public. The automotive industry is no exception and there are numerous requirements and standards that must be met before a vehicle can ever reach the road. The glass that is in your car has a series of test requirements and each piece of glass must be trademarked to show it meets these regulations.

A couple of the key characters to look for in the trademark are the "DOT" and "AS" numbers. The DOT number identifies the manufacturer of the glass, and every company that produces glass for sale within the U.S. must have a number registered with the Department of Transportation., the PPG number is DOT 18. Another important item is the "AS" number which indicates what series of tests that part has been qualified to. The "AS" is the abbreviation for American National Standard that is required in section 6 of the ANSI Z26.1-1997 specification.

To provide a general summary, the windshield of your car will carry an AS1 designation while the other pieces of glass will be AS2. In sunroofs, SUVs and vans the AS3 designation would apply to the deep tint glass that is often used in these vehicles. While not a substitute for the complete text of the applicable legal requirements, the following sections will give you some details as to the requirements for the most common "AS" numbers used.

Safety glazing materials in motor vehicles shall comply with the applicable requirements listed in this section.
Test Number:
1. Luminous transmittance
2. Humidity test
3. Boil test
4. Bake test
5. Impact, ball, 10 ft (3.05m)
6. Light stability
7. Fracture Test
8. Impact, shot bag, 8ft (2.44m) 29. Abrasion resistance
9. Impact, dart, 30ft (9.14m)
10. Impact, dart
11. Impact dart, 10 ft. 3.05m)
12. Impact, ball, 30 ft. (9.14m)
13. Impact, ball
14. Deviation and distortion
18. Abrasion resistance
26. Penetration resistance
28. Temperature Change
30. Abrasion resistance

AS1 Safety Glazing Material for Use Anywhere in Motor Vehicle:
Safety glazing materials that comply with the following may be used anywhere in a motor vehicle: 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 12, 15, 16, and 26; OR Multiple glazed units, Class 1, the individual component units of which comply with the set of tests designated in (a), and the assembled unit of which complies with Tests 1, 2, and 15; OR Multiple glazed units, Class 2, that comply with Tests 1, 2, 3, 5, 9, 12, 14, 15, 18, and 26, 28, 33, and 34 may be used in windshields.

AS2 Safety Glazing Material for Use Anywhere in Motor Vehicle Except Windshields:
Safety glazing materials that comply with the following may be used anywhere in a motor vehicle except windshields: Tests 1, 2, 3, 4, 9, 12 and 18; OR Tests 1, 2, 6, 7, 8 and 18; or Multiple glazed units, Class 1, the individual component units of which comply with one or another of the sets of tests immediately above designated; and the assembled unit of which complies with Tests 1 and 2; OR Multiple glazed units, Class 2, that comply with Tests 1, 2, 3, 5, 9, 12, 14 and 18; or Tests 1, 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 14, and 18.

AS3 Safety Glazing Material for Use Anywhere in Motor Vehicle Except Windshields and Certain Specified Locations:
Safety glazing materials that comply with the tests listed in (a), (b), (c), or (d) below may be used anywhere in a motor vehicle except in windshields and in the following locations at levels requisite for driving visibility. Buses, Trucks, and Truck Tractors. Glazing of windows to the immediate right and left of the driver and in rearmost window if the latter is used for driving visibility. Passenger Automobiles and Taxicabs. Glazing of all windows, including rear window, all interior partitions, and all apertures created for window purposes. a) Tests 1, 3, 4, 9, 12 and 18; OR Test 1, 6, 7, 8 and 18; OR Multiple glazed units, Class 1, the individual component units of which comply with one or another of the sets of tests designated in (a) and (b), and the assembled unit of which complies with Test 1; OR Multiple glazed units, Class 2, that comply with Tests 1, 3, 5, 9, 12, 14 and 18; or Tests 1, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 14, and 18.; Where Test 18 is specified in (a), (b), (c), and (d) above, it shall be waived as not applicable for obscure safety glazing, either textured or with a translucent coating or interlayer, in applications such as rest rooms of buses, trailers, campers, or motor homes.

Article Author: PPG

[ October 27, 2002: Message edited by: Lynn Larsen ]

Lynn,

Thanks for all the info on the glass. I received an E-mail from Dan regarding the glass he has.

For my car it seems I am better off getting the glass from DRB. My buddy is buying a GT40 from them, and he has agreed to ship an extra glass in the crate.
smile.gif

G

Everyone, I just wanted to post an endorsement of Dan's windshields; with respect to the KVA style glass he has anyway. I am in the process of fitting one of these windscreens into my my car and must say that I as pleasantly surprised with how well it fit "out-of-the-box." I doubt that any windshield will go in any car without fitting, but the corners (a product of the curvature) are reportedly the critcal fit points. I can say that my glass is snug down on the flange in all four corners. I actually bought two windshields to have a spare and both pieces fit identically which speaks to quality control. The glass has a light green tinting, which I understand is traditional for GT40 windscreens. When the glass is in the car, the tint is almost inperceptable. I am very happy with my purchase and the price is absolutely unbeatable.

Faili, I can tell you that the E11 is the country code for the automotive standarts body. (For more information with regards to the automotive lighting, see Daniel Stern Lighting which is the source for this information.) The number signifies the country in which approval was granted. Under ECE regulations, items of motor vehicle safety equipment must be tested and approved in a lab BEFORE they can be sold or installed on a motor vehicle, not just "certified" by the car maker and maybe (but not likely) tested for actual compliance after they're already on the market (as in the US system).

The lowercase 'e' in a square signifies EEC (European Economic Community) approval; the uppercase 'E' in a circle signifies ECE (Economic Comission for Europe) approval. The number just indicates where the approval was granted, not necessarily where it was designed or manufactured. Under ECE regulations, an item of motor vehicle equipment approved in one ECE member country is acceptable for use in any other country that adheres to ECE safety regulations. Here is a breakout chart of the numbers:

1 Germany
2 France
3 Italy
4 Netherlands
5 Sweden
6 Belgium
7 Hungary
8 Czecheslovakia
9 Spain
10 Yugoslavia
11 United Kingdom
12 Austria