Shocks / Spring best set on GTD ?

G

Hi all,

I have to change my front tired Gas Spax coil over sping on my GTD.

I need your experience to buy new one.

Technicals, reference or over thing which could help are welcome.

I use the car on road & race track.

Thanks your support & help

If someone get something for sale ...

Fred

G

Hi Fred

I am not sure if you say you want to change both damper and springs but will assume both and if wrong you can ignore the comments relating to the part you don't need!

If I remember correctly the factory standard fast road spring rates were 250 lbs front and 325 rear. The standard dampers were the gas Spax you seem to already have.

To upgrade the dampers the factpry used to recommend the Trax Spax damper. I had these for a while but was dissatisfied with them as they always seemd to get problems requiring a rebuild. I do not beleive I was alone with suffering from problems. If you go to Trax Spax you need to ensure you get the correct rating as they have three different types for differing spring rates. You need the heavy duty ones which cope with 500lbs springs. However I wouldn't use them on my car again. Other people may have had better experiences.

I upgraded my spring rates to a very stiff 450 lbs rear and 500lbs front. This is too stiff for road use but feels ok on track. I am thinking of changing this set up. A popular choice at present on other cars is to use variable rate springs made by Eibach (or others) with a rising rate. Starts off low say 300lbs and then rises to 800lbs or something similar. I do not know the full spec. Not cheap compared to a constant rate spring though. This is the route that appeals to me.

On dampers I use Koni twin adjustable dampers. These are more expensive than Trax Spax at about £1600 a set but I have not had any problems with them and once set, they have proved faultless. Just expensive to get initially. The Koni Technical Centre in Mytchett, Surrey, UK measured my car and supplied a group of us a few years back. The dampers are available under job number D100 if you want them. I assume that is still the case.

However if you are playing around with this area of your car you need to take into account your anti-roll bar situation. My springs rates are high but I have soft (ish) anti-roll bars. This is not ideal and can be improved upon.

I think that to get better handling out of a GTD you need to go as stiff as you can find comfortable on springs for your main use of the car be it on road or otherwise, and then to reduce the roll of the car with better stronger anti roll bars. Better dampers can cope with the extra strain and if multi adjustable can give more room for personal set up.

Everyone I know has their own opinion on setup and each has their own budget levels. To maximise your car you need to put time in and play around with the options. Easier said than done.

Malcolm
PS I have kept off corner weights and ride heights but these too all affect the cars handling. All compromise really!

G

Malcom,

Many thanks for your support ! I use Trax Spax on the rear wich are ok for a road use but not on track. I drove on a banking last September in the Valeo test car center at Mortefontaine and the feeling of pumping at 240 km/h was very bad even if you increase the turning valve on the shock.

I think Koni is the best brand on the market, it is sure that they are expensive but i think it worths.

Spax shocks are bicycle pumps ! What do you about AVO ? I think the front of the car shouldn't be too much hard setted up if not the front slip and gives a bad feeling.
I personaly prefer to have the rear slipper than the front, just a question of choice (and very funny under the rain !!).

Regards

Fred

Back