Engine Oil Coolers & line sizes

I was wondering what size lines everyone uses for the engine oil coolers? I've seen cooler for sale that come with AN 8 fittings and others with 1/2 inch pipe threads. Is AN 8 line large enough for a 302 engine (low enought back pressure for oil pump)?

thanks for the inputs

Dave,
If you look into Summit or Jegs or Aeroquip, or similar you will find all size of lines. fuel lines run from AN-10 ( from the tank ) to AN-6 to the carb/injectors. Oil lines run the gamut, usually 6 or 8 ( most of the bypass adaptors will specify what size to use ). Just remember that these lines add volume to the oil supply and you better add extra for it or you might get stranded with a dead motor.
A bit of trivia about fittings. The AN designation stands for Army Navy. There were concerns that each branch would adopt its own standards for fittings, so they got together and adopted a compromise. The numbers 6,8,10 etc. are the short hand for the fraction of the number over 16. Thus an AN-8 is a half inch fitting. Nickel knowledge.
Bill

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
Definitely -10 or -12 for anything other than a completely stock motor.

I used a Mocal 8 row cooler with -10 fittings. I also suggest a thermostat or else your warm-up times will be long and you may need to tape up the cooler on cool days to keep the engine at temp. I used a Mocal unit from Pegasus Racing. Here are a few pics...

Apr21_01210.jpg
Apr21_01110.jpg

That's a nice setup, Neal. Do they make any similar-sized coolers that could accomodate two types of fluid? I'd like to be able to cool my gearbox fluid as well as my engine fluid.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I don't believe they have any dual circuit models. I recall seeing a Permacool unit that does though.

Ron Earp

Admin
What are the current thoughts on oil volume and/or coolers? Maybe not the right question but I've got a 8 quart pan. In addition I have a dual remote filter setup with heat sinks on the filters, so, around 9.25 quarts of oil in all. Good for a street motor and occassional track days?

Ron

Neil, Is the thermostat valve a recirculating type? i.e. when the valve is off does it re-route the oil back through the return hose - it is hard to tell from the picture.

thanks for the info.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
The thermostat is a recirculating unit made by Mocal The line routing starts from the block to the filter, filter to thermostat and thermostat to block. The other side of the thermostat is the cooler loop.

moc8.gif

My system has just over 9 quarts. I've run a similar setup on a Cobra and it was adequate for the street and lapping days at the track.

Neal

Lifetime Supporter
I've plumbed mine into the remote filter boss. My boss had 2 sets of inlets and outlets. I used one of the inlets for the temp bulb. It looks similar to this one...

1791.gif

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
I intend to install oil cooler since I've recently purchase Earl's oil cooler thru Yahoo Auction w/ pretty good price(most popular internet auction site in Japan) Now I need to buy sandwitch plate, racing hose and swivel hose ends,,,. As I'll visit my HQ in Austin in early Feb., I'd like to purchase those in US (almost half the price than Japan) and bring them back to Tokyo. I sent a message (and remider) to Pegasus Racing whether they could accept my order from Japan and send the parts to my freind's house in Austin, but no reply.
Therefore, I'd like to find other source to make this happen. Any suggestions? (I'll buy several Ford genuin parts like oil filter from the dealer in Austin as well)
Thanks for your help! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Yuji

Best method is have your friend in Austin buy the parts
for you. Overseas orders can create large Export paperwork problems, which many companies don't wish to handle.

Many companies (Summit, Jeg's) offer the parts you mention.
If your friend needs help, they have excellent Tech suport.

MikeD

Howard Jones

Supporter
Yuji, Make sure you use a billit remote filter adapter. The cast ones are known to crack at the fitting boss. Check out www.racerpartswholesale.com They have a very nice one,It rotates and is real easy to plum. RacerParts part # CA-22595. I am using both of these with a earls cooler and it all works good. The Mocal themostatis a good idea also and you can get them from racerparts also.

A sandwich plate will not leave enough clearance for the filter anyway. Moroso makes a very nice billit remote filter mounting plate. Behrents Part # MOR 23700 or MOR 23710. The difference is R-in L-out or L-in R-out. You can get it from behrents performance wholesale www.behrents.com

Your friend can order for you online from both places and have the parts delievered to Texas.

Lastly I used all 1/2 inch lines annd mounted the oil temp bulb in the extra port on the moroso filter mount.

Yuji

Lifetime Supporter
MikeD & Howard,
Thank you for the information. I'll ask my friend and place the order for me.
One more advice from you? As for hose ends for AN8 fitting for my oil cooler, there are three brands available, Earl's, GoodRidge and Aeroquip. Is there any significant difference among those three? (looks Earl's is most expensive?)

Back