Engine oil cooler.

David Garton

Supporter
I recently purchased a tower type oil cooler for a Continental aircraft engine and it comes without the base. I am trying to figure out my best way to plumb it to my application? Looking at the factory bases for that cooler it looks like they have a built in bypass valve or thermostat flow valve? Should I just make a large base dividing the cooler in the two haves and have an in and out of the bottom or add a port at the top of the tower and have all the oil come in the top and exit through both halves of the cooler and exit through my thick base? Or use the factory one just not sure the flow of the factory one?

Oil cooler tower type.jpgs-l1600 Oil cooler base.jpg

If you are putting an oil cooler on a street driven car, you will want to have a temperature control valve on it. For track only applications (where engine is running in top 50% of rpm range), you most likely don't need temperature control. The most common complaint from Cobra owners who have an oil cooler with no temperature control is that the oil doesn't run hot enough.

Howard Jones

Supporter
The type and size of an oil cooler or whether you even need one range from probably not necessary to critically needed, The best advice I can give you is to detail the use you have envisioned for the car. Include where you will drive it, seasons/ambient air temp range, engine description, and RPM range, power output, as well as race/session length if tracked.

Also, the total oil capacity of the engine as well as dry sump or wet sump makes a big difference. We need to estimate how much heat you are going to make over how long a period. That's the issue really.

Back