porous wheels

Both my rear wheels are porous and will not hold air. I have purchased wheel sealer before and had good luck but I can't find any presently. Does anyone have a source for wheel sealer.

Thanks,

Mark

Mark,

Any dealer who sells and services multi-piece wheels, should be able to get you the right stuff, however, you might want to consider having a pro do the job, as it would be warrantied.

Bill

I just got off the phone with the manufacturer. He suggests smearing the leak spot on the inside with RTV. So I'm wondering if that is the professional solution.

Opinions?

Mark

I've seen this twice before on oem honda wheels and both times it was only a pinhole type leak, i gave it a beating on the inside with a hammer and never had the problem again, maybe hammer and silicone would be a good idea.

Mark,

I have 3 pc. Simmons wheels. I intend to paint the centers,
so I contacted their tech dept, for advice on breaking the
rims down, and bolting them back together. They suggested
all new bolts, and silicone sealant. When they repair/paint
rims themselves, this is what they use. RVT should do the job.

Bill

Here's an update:

The spot RTV'ing did not work. The holes are just below the bead bump on the wheel so The RTV gets peeled off during tire installation. Both ERA and Jongbloed said to use epoxy paint, unthinned and lay it on heavy.

So I bead blasted the inside of both wheels and epoxy coated them. Tomorrow I can DA the beads smooth and once again mount the tires and see if they're destined to become a table base or can I really use them as wheels. Yeesh!

Mark, who is the manufacturer of your wheels, and why aren't they taking care of this for you?

BTW, nice avatar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

The manufacturer, who will remain anonymous, told me to smear RTV over the porous area. He said they had a lot of problems with that particular casting.

15" wheels came with the kit. I figured I'd debug the car on these especially since tires are so cheap then I'd upgrade to some 16 or 17 inch wheels and serious rubber. I'll keep the "R" rated 15's around for shows (IF I can get them to seal)

Final (hopefully) update:

As Jongbloed and Ted at ERA suggested, a heavy application of epoxy paint to the inside surfaces of the wheel will seal the porosity. 30 psi and holding.

Back