Gtforte front wishbones help

First of all, I'm female...I have a GTFORTE chassis, both granada mk2 uprights, but I need wishbones and can't get hold of Darren at GTFORTE. I can fabricate my own, but would it would be great of someone had the geometry measurements for the upper and lower wishbones to make it a bit easier!
Thoughts?

Mike Pass

Supporter
Hi Dani,
I don't know where you are based but it would be useful to post your location. Always a good idea to join the GT40 Enthusiasts Club as there will be a group near you. You will be able to meet up with members and tap into their knowledge and experience and check out their cars.
I don't see the point in replicating the GTForte style wishbones as I believe they have some issues. A lot depends on what you intend to use the car for when finished. If you intend track or hard use then I suggest you make your own. Because of the design of the upper wishbone the angle of the suspension is such that the suspension unit is attached to the lower wishbone well towards the middle rather than at the wheel end. This creates a few issues. The weight of the front of the car acting through the coil/damper puts a bending load on lower arm. Similar arms have been known to bend and break if subjected to hard or track use. There is a leverage disadvantage so the suspension springs need to be stiffer to compensate for the leverage disadvantage. The outer part of the lower wishbone is effectively an undamped spring.A flat plate is the weakest cross section shape and the end of the lower arm is a flat plate. Most other replicas use box sections or at least angle or u sections. One of our NW club members building a scratch/GTForte build was not happy with the original design and designed and made some much stronger tubular ones with the suspension unit attaching at the outboard end where it can exert proper control of the wheel.
I have sent you a pm so I can put you in touch with him.
This info is if you intend to use the Granada Mk2 uprights. There are other options with better geometry.
Cheers
Mike

Last edited:
Southern GT supplied my replacement front wishbones for a Tornado chassis which as far as I know are the same geometry as the GT forte. Might be worth a chat with AK Sportscars (New owners of Southern) as they may have the jigs to make them.

Back