Paint stripper for aluminum

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Does anyone have any suggestions for stripping paint off of aluminum. Specifically, I want to take the black paint off of a set of aluminum valve covers so that I can powder coat them.

Regards,
Lynn

Lynn,
Bead or sand blast them it will help the Powdercoat "stick" better.
Nathan /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Lynn,

I forgot to call you back. I used my bead blaster. If you want you can come use it too, it works fine. I then powder coated them.

R

Lynn Larsen

Lynn Larsen
Ron, thanks for the offer. I baked them for a while last night hoping that would cause the paint to peel. No such luck; although it did make it a bit more chalky.

I have poweder coated the GT40 intake. I did the runners last night and they make the lower manifold look so bad, I am going to have to try a second coat on it. The 94/95 adapter was sooo butt ugly before, anything would be an improvement. I may try another coat on it depending on how the lower manifold does.

Attachments

• 28340-GT40intake2.JPG
    28340-GT40intake2.JPG
    25.4 KB · Views: 349
Hi Lynn,
I've used glass bead on many aluminium and magnesium castings all with good results, too higher pressure will mark though.

Try looking at one of the Aircraft supply houses for a good stripper. I got a hold of some a few years back and the stuff was super. I covered the object being stripped with a plastic bag to hold the fumes in and it worked even better.

Vic

Back