Corvette suspensions (DRB)

The DRB's utilize the 85 -87 C-4 Corvette suspension pieces. It's rare, but sooner or later you will have to rebuild the ball joints and bushings.
I was able to remove the buhsings with a mini press, but was not able to get the ball joints out. So I took the pieces to a local performance shop specializing in corvettes.They were able to pop the old ones out with no trouble. We were planning on using the AC Delco units, but found they didn't fit. We tried two or three others to no avail. Most were 2/100" off in diameter. I consulted with a vette restoration shop in Pittsburg and they used Moog and another brand. Their suggestion was to heatup the arm and "pop" the aftermarket ones in. On further inspection of the arms, the outside edges of the arm is rather thin at best and my shop had seen some crack, making the arm a door stop. So we went with the GM parts which went right in (at $30 more for each ball joint). Most chevy shops don't like to work on C-4s as they are considered old by their standards. They had rather work on the C-5s. I was surprised at the variance in the aftermarket parts. My suspension parts must have been exposed to the elements for some time as the rubber parts were dried out and cracked and were useless. If you have a press and want to do it yourself, watchout for variances in the aftermarket parts.
Bill

Hi Bill,

I too have replaced the bushings and ball joints on my suspension (87 vette in a DRB) and it was a minor hassle (DONT TAKE IT TO A CHEVY DEALER FOR BUSHINGS!) the putz I dealt with had no clue how to put them together and completely ruined a set of high performance bushings for me!

I'm a little confused about your comments about pressing out the Ball Joints - I simply drilled out the rivets holding the old ball joint assembly (upper and lowers both) and bolted in the new parts - - are you talking about another part?

How is your build going overall?

dave harris

Bill, you are correct that oem parts are the way to go on vette stuff. I am using c-5 components, and they are not cheap! ;o) Anyway, I see you are using the 930 trans as well. I am interested in knowing what shifter set-up you are using and how well it works? I am running my trans inverted with the KE adapter plate and clutch set-up on a big block 427. I would greatly appreciate it if you would drop me an e-mail to [email protected] so that I can talk with you about the shifter and the best way to set it up. Thanks in advance, Scott

The upper ball joints are rivetted in with original jonts and the only way to replace them is to drill them out and bolt the new ones in. However, the lower joints are pressed in and you need a good sized press to remove them. [image]http://prod.bsis.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/135/135525/folders/85997/849373Balljoints2.jpg" width="440" height="440"[/image] Hope this picture comes through.
Bill

Will try again
849373Balljoints2.jpg

Back