Air Con - GTD

My GTD has air con fitted, but after being standing for several years, it probably need re-filling. It's a standard GTD system, is there a standard place where I would find the filling points?
Thanks
Simon

Simon,

FWIW, my car had AC when I bought it. It didn't work either & I called in a good friend who is an local expert in AC. We re-gassed the system, & it worked ok for a while but as predicted, it soon stopped cooling again!

The reason for this was the position of the condenser in the engine bay. I can't remember the reason why but with the AC test gear connected, shutting the rear deck caused real problems & the systme just couldn't cope with all the heat from the exhaust, engine etc.

We drained some of the fluid & the colour & condition of it indicated that it had been well and truly cooked! The solution to all this is to fit the condensor up infront of the radiator & if I decide to re-fit the AC this is how I'll do it.

We couldn't find a fill valve either & I can't quite remember how we did it, but when I stripped the system out of the car I discovered a fill valve set midway in one of the hoses, so you may have to remove the sills and/or some engine bay panneling to find it! (assuming your setup is the same as mine!)

Sorry this probably isn't much help to you, but if required I can photograph the piping as it came off the car.

Regards,

Simon,

Here is a picture of the hose with the fill valve. this hose ran from the the compressor to the condensor in the dash & so in my case the valve was hidden in the sill behind a fuel tank!

From memory, my system was re-filled at the compressor, but access was still difficult. If a bit more thought had gone into the intsallation, the AC would be alot easier to service!

Anyhow, hope this helps!

Also, there was a really good article on AC in one of the GT40 enthusiast club mags a little while ago.

regards,

Attachments

• 34095-AC hose (2).jpg
    34095-AC hose (2).jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 259
Back