Low flying 40 in Suffolk?

As Jools hinted on another post - Roy and I missed the Aston Martin Sprint at Goodwood yesterday - to take part in a spped event in Suffolk.

This was to be a high speed event - where you try to get a max speed from a standing start over about 1.3 miles with 0.5 mile to slow down. Sound interesting?

More details can be found at www.speedtrial.co.uk
Roy had spent some time fettling a front splitter and also made some straight through pipes - hmmmm - LOUD! and with this in mind we were somewhat hopeful of a quick run.

60 car max entry of which no more than 10 can be non-Jaguar - so an Aston Martin Vantage, a couple of TVRs, a couple of Ferrari's - should be fun - then along comes a Jaguar XJ220 - Hmmmm - that should be quick - and it was!

Roys car sitting nice and quiet...

Attachments

• 40733-SpeedEvent.JPG
    40733-SpeedEvent.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 371
So how did it go? - well not as well as we had hoped, although we did figure there was going to be a problem.

We managed repeatedly to get 168MPH in their laser trap at the 1.3mile point. Roy got 162 then 168 and I got 167.87 and 167.81 (I must start that diet!)....although it Pi$$ed with rain during my runs so I feel I get the Bravery award (read stupidity?) as wheel spin in 1st through to 4th sharpens your attention.

So how did the other cars do? well many complained about being slower than expected - the ASTON Martin owner being especially annoyed, especially as his engine undertray detatched at speed.. scrape scrape scrape......

When we left, the only car quicker was, not surprisingly the Jaguar XJ220 at 185MPH (dry..) so 17mph quicker. Nearest slower was I think about 150, a Ferrari??

Why were'nt we quicker? - well we sussed the night before the event that the reason we have not been revving well recently is soft valve springing and with the increase in rocker ratio this year, the problem has worsened. The car is not happy above about 5900-6000rpm at present...doh! (7000rpm should have seen about 196MPH)

So sorry guys - I'm afraid we let the side down a bit this time, but we have been invited back next year - and rest assured, Roy will have well and truly fettled the engine for that one....

In fact, the required Lunati parts wave already been selected. Now we just have to get them sent over here...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Finally - a look out of the window at almost 170 in the wet.. (some video will be posted when I get time)

Attachments

• 40734-168MPHWET.JPG
    40734-168MPHWET.JPG
    28.4 KB · Views: 374
FANTASTIC! I'd love to see you get closer to the XJ220. I bet you slowed down in less space based on the rumours of 220 brakes!!

Malcolm

Supporter
So Roy came second and you came third out of 60 cars. Yeah terrible showing! Well done guys. Some time I would like to see a full listing of results.

We are waiting for the springs (see pm) but may be tempted to swap them for some biro springs to slow you up some more for when I do eventually do an event!

Thanks folks - funny really, when it was raining, very few cars wanted to run, I wonder why? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

ps - Malc - hang fire on the springs (see pm) - there may be another reason for the 6K limit.... and when I find out, all will be revealed.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Paul,

I'll tell you why so few ran.

You were mostly amonngst the type who have tiny genitals!

F*****g good effort!

J.P /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Mr Thompson,

You and Roy have the BADDEST GTDs on the "other side". Rick Merz Has that title on "this side".

As you guys say,, Well done lad /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Preparing the 40 for Wiscombe this weekend I made a couple of startling discoveries.

1) - the plug on Cyl no1 was 'half out' although lead was attached.

2) the lead to plug 3 was 'off' at the plug!

3) the lead to plug 6 was 'off' at the coil!

Hmmmmmmm - /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Nope- not five.... loose plug was still firing but engine was definately not on all 8 - seven at most and probably 6. With straight through pipes it was so flippin' loud I couldn't tell from the exhaust note.

This past weekend saw us at Wiscombe hill climb and after tweeking the injection on Roys 40 (and connecting all leads) - I must say it is considerably more lively now! If you ever need to measure/monitor your Lambda accurately, look no further than the Motec AFM meter - great piece of kit.

(and no I don't work for Motec - but their UK technical support team has been very very good with their assistance /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

And a note to all - that my apprentice instructor told me many years ago - when I should have been listening harder.

"Six P's : Perfect Preparation Prevents Pi$$ Poor Performance!" - he's bang on with that!

Paul,
I was wondering - how do you assess the performance of the front splitter? At 168mph did you have any "spare brainpower" left to think about it???
Charles

I was sceptical re the splitter but hey - it looked quite good and sat approx 2" above the gound when car was on level ground. You could stand on the splitter front edge (Roy did) and it would not touch the ground - but after the 4 runs, when we removed it for Wiscombe last weekend - we found signs of gounding on its underside, so I guess it did possibly do something.?

Paul,

What a ride!

From the looks of your speedo at 168MPH, I'd say it was certainly maxed out!

Did you happen to add the titanium testicle upgrade, before trying that in the wet?

Bill

Back