AMOC Goodwood Sprint

Yesterdays AMOC Sprint at Goodwood turned out to be a brilliant day (well almost!), the weather was looking a bit iffy in the morning, but turned out to be glorious sunshine for most of the day.

Returning to Goodwood after my last event, I had gained additional confidence in the cars setup with the changes to the brakes and tyres, so mentally I had stated a target to get under the magical (for me!) 100 seconds, my best last time on the Dunlop’s was 109 seconds!

Two GT40’s entered in the Sports GT & saloons over 3 liters class, Martin Weigolds fabulous “6 GTD” and Suzie “K40 GT” my car.

Practice started with me being placed behind a single seater, I had thought that this was fine and was more concerned with Martin catching me up, anyway things got underway and half way round on the first lap there was a red flag, so we all lined up again, I thought things seemed to be going quite well when I caught up with the single seater down the back straight.

So off again for another try this time with no baulking we pulled in a 102.57, Martin (or rather his car) was suffering from a fouled plug, so Frank was dispatched to get some new ones, the second practice was 102.47 for me so fairly consistent!

The array of cars at the event was far and wide from some of the earliest Astons such as The reeds DB2 driven by Tony and Anne, to the latest N24 version of Astons Vantage Racer driven by ace driver Gillian Goldsmith who took FTD with a 94 or 95 seconds, plus giving the crowd a moment with a rather spectacular spin at the chicane.

I have to say my favorite of the meeting was 85 year old Paul Channon showing us the lead in his original AC Cobra that he has owned since 1969 – wow!

So to the timed events, I had managed to force a rather hearty lunch down, sadly Martin and Frank had missed out due to very poor service and a cock-up with the catering! (Fat bas???d I hear them shout!).

Suzie by now seems to be flying and in the first of the timed runs we pull in a 98.36 (days objective achieved for me and we ended up with second in class!), with Martin close behind with a 100.36.

For the second timed run things were not quite so impressive – we lined up in the number one spot, red light then green, a few beans were applied and 20 feet off the line - bang, no drive (Bugger!) that was the end of my day fun - but what a day it had been!

The day ended with David Such driving his tremendously quick V8 Aston to the class win at 97.7

Once we got the car to the paddock it appears that one of the CV joints had exploded, so hopefully if that is all, we will be out for the next event.

JBW

Attachments

• P1000728s.jpg
    P1000728s.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 518
  • P1000744s.jpg
    P1000744s.jpg
    58.8 KB · Views: 520
  • P1000749s.jpg
    P1000749s.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 514
  • P1000768s.jpg
    P1000768s.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 501
  • P1000762s.jpg
    P1000762s.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 713
Julian, you and your car seem to improve each time I see you out, and this time I thought most impressive of the start line, really good launches and clean gearchanges, looked quick out of the chicane as well. If you keep on like this the other club guys have something to get concerned about. Well done. Frank

Nice to have a couple of 40's to entertain us AMOC members and of course the sound was beautiful. Bribing the noise test man?

Shame a lady beat you to FTD especially as she was new to the car!!.

It was a very good day and I also achieved second in my class 11 with a 106.08 in my M3.

Let's have a few more of your 40's mixing it with the Astons. The music would be orchestal.

Ian

Ian

Glad you also had a good day - and enjoyed the soundtrack!

Your M3 is superb - I have often admired it at the various events we have done, my wife and I are in to the V8's as you might have guessed, I attach photo of Denise at Goodwood back in 2002, we are currently building up another V8 with a hope to competing with it next year!

JBW

Attachments

• DBW Goodwood 060702small.jpg
    DBW Goodwood 060702small.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 494
Julian

We need more Astons to come out to play so hurry up with your next V8. As you will be aware, without us non-Aston runners, the grids would be very un-economical so I look forward to your attendance in the coming years.

Regarding Paul Channon, he used to compete at Wiscombe with the same Cobra and it was a joy to watch his lazy (looking) climb making all look so effortless whilst we had to have a lie down after each run.

I started this fun back in the mid 80's at Wiscombe and Paul was the one to watch. He's been missing for a few years so it was a pleasure to see him out and about again.

As an aside, who or what does the silencing of your 40? Frank? what do you noise test at? +100 or-100? We have a number of members in the GT40 Enthusiasts Club who would love the either compete or just track day, but they cannot get down to 101. Your reccomendations would be apreciated by many.

Regards

Ian

Ian, noise control is becoming a bit of a science I have been investigating for some time, and a constantly developing series of silencers helps get a lot of cars through the Goodwood requirement of 105 static and 101 DB drive by without loss of power. It is easy to throttle an engine back to reduce noise, like the supertraps used on the Lotus cars on saturday, they sap power dramatically as well. I did not do the silencer for Julians car, but the system on Martins car, which I did design and make, always gets through acceptibly, and is always well within the drive by limits which are the critical ones for Goodwood. We are currently making systems for original GT40s to enable them to test for the Goodwood Revival meeting, something they have not been able to do in the past, and we are looking forward to these tests in the next few weeks. Frank

Malcolm

Supporter
Nice pictures Julian. Sounds like you had a fun day. I have not driven Goodwood on the new Avon road tyres so would be interested to hear your opinions of the difference between the Avons and the old Dunlops you (and I)previously ran. I am hoping you felt they gave you more confidence?

Did Martin have car issues? His times would appear slower than I would expect for a car so modified.

On road tyres there should be room for further time improvements as you get to know Suzie better. Keep it up. Just to tease you, both Paul T and I have done 91 second standing start laps at Goodwood. We both sh*t our pants doing it but it can be done!

Ian, on noise testing issues, if you have repackable silencers and repack for your day at Goodwood it should be possible to pass the test. If you pass the static test, typically the drive by should be no concern. I use a GTD supplied cross over system (1.75 inch primaries) and always acheive 105 for the static test. When I had a GTD supplied non cross over system (1 5/8 primaries) I also passed the test. Obviously each car will be different as some Enthusiast Club members will have made their own systems, but if you take your car there on another day before you enter and ask nicely the noise testers will normally test your car to help you out. If you do have repackable silencers, you do need to use spring washers (or some other system) to stop fixings coming undone so that the plates or end caps don't fall off on track. That is embarrassing.

Brian Magee

Supporter
A little story about Gillian Goldsmith.

I use to do work for John Goldsmith. One day he rung me to say he needed some decals making and if he sent his (then) girlfriend over with the Aston Martin on the trailer could I apply them. A couple of hours later the Aston turned up on the trailer being towed by a Mercedes. It had just started to rain so I decided it would need to go into the garage. No problem said the lady, I will reverse it in on the trailer. At that time I was having some building work done and as rain had stopped play, the builder (another petrolhead) came to watch the fun. My front drive has an awkward twist at the begining and the garage is offset to one side. We both stood there with our mouths open as she proceded to reverse the car in without any problem, first hit, to the exact spot that I needed it. Not exactly what we were expecting. It was not till sometime later that I discovered she was Gillian Fortesque-Thomas who I had seen race many times.

Brian.

Hi all

Thanks for the response and I am sure many members will take note of what they need to do to come out and play. Maybe I should buy shares in Rockwool.

Brian, I knew you circulated in high places but, you must be nearly as old as me to have watched Gillian in her early days.

Ian

Malcolm

Supporter
hi Ian

If you, or others, are genuinely using Rockwool then maybe that is the problem. Try E Glass available from Merlin Motorsport at Castle Coombe circuit. About £10 psm plus postage and VAT. Normally 2 sq meters is sufficient for my car.

Malcolm - thanks for the kind words of encouragement, I just could not get on with the Dunlops, the rear was just too wayward for me, and for those that have experianced this phenominon in a GT40 will, I guess understand.

I cant be very specific about the difference the Avons alone bring, as we also made some changes to the brake master cylinders at the same time, however the overall effect has taken me from a rather nerve racking 109 seconds to the 98 with I feel more to come.

We opted for the 295's on the rear which are superb and give excellent confidence, the front we could only get the 215's which are fine for the hills, but on fast circuits wash out a little, so I would like to find just a little more grip from the front!

Ian my daughter took a nice photo of Gillian Goldsmith driving the Aston N24, next to Ian's M3 on the start line.

JBW

Attachments

• P1000710s.jpg
    P1000710s.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 412
.....both Paul T and I have done 91 second standing start laps at Goodwood. We both sh*t our pants doing it but it can be done!.....

Crikey! :eek: I take my hat off to both of you! Are those the quickest laps from a GTD?

Malc, just out of interest, what spec. was your car at that time - hp, brakes, suspension.... and what tyres were you using?

Does anyone have an estimate for the differential between a standing start lap and a flying lap of Goodwood? PaulT, perhaps from your data logging?

I'm also interested in how our cars compare to the originals. What times do they post at the Revival?

Julian, nice work! 2/3rds of a second away from a class win speaks for itself :bow:

Charles

Hi Charles

I would think you should be maybe 2 - 4 seconds faster on a 'flying' lap, depending on acceleration - but having said that I've never got below 90sec on a flying lap.. (my balls aren't BIG enough!!) and I doubt I'll ever achieve it again, despite my 'new lighter stature'...;) It seem's the older I get, the faster I was....

Dave's been in the 87s with his GTD R42... and I think the originals lap between 83s to 88s ish - BUT they do it lap after lap, and without the benefit of some of the more modern tyres/brakes we use, together with dare I say it possibly better handling and definately more power in some cases. It is basically the difference between us 'amateurs' and the 'pros' - hats off to them - they are skillfull beyond belief in my eyes and seem to have an inner knowledge that 'they can make the corner without lifting' - or can brake later and less than anyone else... True masters!!

That said - anyone getting below 100s at Goodwood on a flying lap is shifting, so as a standing lap, the times are good. JBW is still getting to grips with 'Suzie' and I know has had some handling difficulties to overcome, but I suspect he will be setting new records very soon! - Long may it continue.... Despite what some people think, Sprints/Hillclimbs improve/hone your skills and are basically great FUN - Come along Charles - you know you want to have a go too....:D

Another handy tip is to always wear EAR PLUGs - it's worth at least 2 seconds a lap at Goodwood for those that don't wear em - Just ask Andrew Fordyce. Couldn't get below 100s, in went the plugs, straight into the 97/98s and subsequently faster still - It works!!

Avon Slicks.. They are reasonably soft and start to get proper grip towards the end of the lap, BUT they definately work better than the Pirelli P7 road tyres we use - even when it's wet!! - (or at least damp!)...

They are also a little smaller in diameter so acceleration is improved too - the data logging at Longleat has recorded 0-60 Mph in 3.7s and 0-100 in 7.6s - every little helps...:)

Malcolm

Supporter
Charles, you're testing my old brain cells. I did that run back in the mid nineties. It was an AMOC day too coincidentally. Got me second FTD which I was quite pleased with. Got beaten by a Reliant Scimitar.....with a cosworth DFV in! Just beat Andy Shepherd's AC Cobra by 6/100ths of a second.

The spec of my car? That would have been my first engine at about 350bhp, dyno on rolling road showed 306 rwhp. The car began life as a very standard GTD. By the time of this run I had a second set of rims with Avon slicks on and I had the GTD prototype upgrade on front uprights. Dampers were trak spax back then and I had the factory recommended upgrade on springs, not very stiff even so, rears 350 lbs and the front 275 lbs. I had upgraded the front brakes to Alcon four pot calipers but the rears, as now, were the single pot cosworth jobs ie the factory standard vented rear brake set up. Apart from safety equipement needed to compete, that was it, a totally standard car. No lowered engine, no LSD, no lightweight bodywork or chassis bits. All standard geometry on suspension set up.

The way to be quick at Goodwood if you do not have monster power and torque, is to be quick through No Name and St Mary's. No Name ca be a lot faster than you give credit for but with the distinct lack of runoff it is a bit scary.

No lowered engine, no LSD, no lightweight bodywork or chassis bits.

:p: :p: :p: :p:

;) :D ;) :D ;) :D ;) :D ;) :D ;) :D ;) :D

ps - your memory is fading Malc (too many high speed corners!!) - The Reliant Scimitar was I believe 'Blue Thunder' - which was powered by a Cosworth developed V6 Quad Cam? - some 400+BHP I think and sounded awesome. His wide sticky slicks no doubt contributed to some extent too... Still, no shame in being beaten by a 'fast plastic pig'... :D :D :D
(no offense intended to R S Owners...;) )

Malcolm

Supporter
Hi Paul, yeah I remember it as Blue Thnder but thought it was DFV powered. Your petrol saturated mind is going to be right so I bow to your knowledge without hesitation! It had monster slicks as you say. Quickest way to make your car quicker, bolt on some slicks and enjoy!

Just a thought, if a cosworth V6 quad cam, could that have been a Prosport engine ie Cosworth FBE? Right era.

Back