Battery choices

Have recently been looking at batteries. Does anyone have any experience with the Odyssey dry cells? They have some pretty small packages available for car use and if proven to be suitable, would tuck away nicely in an out of the way place.

Brian

Brian,

I have an 800AMP Odyssey battery in my car. IMHO, it's OK, but not great. If my engine doesn't fire(all in the past, I hope!)after a few good cranks(6 attempts or so), the battery needs a rest. It also has a hard time with "hot starts". It would be a tough call, using one on a high compression engine(800AMP).
Odyssey does offer plenty of higher AMP batteries than mine, which might be a whole different ballgame. They do get larger as amperage increases, but are still small in comparison to typical car batteries.
The size is great though(800AMP)! You could fit one just about anywhere. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bill

My thoughts also, if I can spin my motor with the PC680MJT, I'd be a very happy camper. They offer a nice little folded battery holder that I could rivnut just about any place I'd like. I intend to put a trickle charger onboard for when the car sits for a while and I have a 140 Amp Powermaster alternator to handle accessories.

Brian

I have the yellow top optima gel cell. Great battrey. I also use one (a blue top) in an electric gate that is solar charged. No problems what-so-ever!

Alain,

I believe that the 800AMP has been replaced with a 925AMP.

I am praying that it's the same size case!!

The 800AMP was just barely enough for my liking.

Bill

Most of the racers use, and my personal choice is the DMS Technologies Red Top 60. 220x121x260mm, 51Ah, 1230 Amps Cranking Current!
If the motor still doesn't turn just use the battery to start welding stuff /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif!!
If weight is a real issue as a 60 weighs in at 17.5 Kgs then you could use a 40 , only 965 Amps ! but weighs in at 12.5 Kgs

Well I ordered a 925, it is a remarkably small package at around 7x7x5 and 26 lbs. I am going to try to tuck it in out of the way adjacent to the steering rack under the roll bar. I don't have a big time motor to spin, so I think it will be adequate.

Brian

Brian,

I don't know if you were aware of this or not, but

Odyssey batteries can be mounted vertically OR horizontally.

That may give you more options on placement. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bill

Back