Link to Old Site Threads

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
It was pointed out to me today by my brother looking at my build thread
http://www.gt40s.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17398

On the first post I post a link to when my car arrived (Christmas 18 months back)

But if you click on the link you get a message "the forum has moved etc."

I have also checked on a number of similar links and they do not seem to work either.

I for one used the link function quite a lot on posts and would like it to work and find the "referred to threads"

That said the search function is now coming into it's own and returning great results.

Is this a known problem and a work in progress or is there a way of looking up a table and manually finding the other thread?

Ok not desperate but berhaps one for the wish list

Thanks
Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Ian,

The link works for me, connects to the build thread. Not sure what you mean. The old forum does have a permanent banner ad saying the forum has moved, but the links and threads are still all there, and here too.

Ron

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ron

If you go the my build thread on the link above it works as this was put in on the new software.

But once you are on the "Dax Build thread" there are other links and pointers done when we were on the old software. The first post on the Dax Build thread has one such link. (Hence referring to it)

If you click on this link it cannot find the referred to thread. I believe it is because it was a www.gt40s.com/ubbthreads/showflat....... and the new software uses a different access along the lines www.gt40s.com/forum/....

I cannot see a way of changing / edting the posts to reinstate the link to find the relevant thread - except using search and a lot of grey cells!

The only way I can think is to leave a copy of the old site up for the reference links - that may be prohibitive in price.

I hope I have explained it better

Regards
Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
If I click on the first link in your build thread, the very first one, it comes up for me. It is titled "Dax For Me!". Maybe you need to give it more time because yes, the banner will come up quickly and the banner says "The Forum has Moved" but the thread will be below it. The link comes up on the old forum, naturally since it is hard linked there, but the old forum isn't going anywhere. I must not be understanding something or clicking the wrong link.

Ron

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Ron

It just gives the " the forum has moved" screen

Waited 10 mins but nothing else comes up

Perhaps I am doing something wrong - Windows Xp Pro in the office and OSx at home both give the same results

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
Al, can you check this one? Seems okay to me, but it is probably just me. Thanks,
Ron

PS- Ian, make that priming tool - you'll not regret it and it'll come in handy!

Last edited:
I agree with Ian
Here is what I see. Waiting doesn't help.

All the best
Lee

Attachments

• wrong screen.JPG
    wrong screen.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 420
It looks like the links to posts on the old forum have stopped working again. Anyone else noticed? I get a different error message to before, but the same result. Thanks

Attachments

• error message.JPG
    error message.JPG
    38.1 KB · Views: 322

Ron Earp

Admin
Yes, but there are very few posts that link back to the old forum. Ian's is one, there are a few others. But I can't leave the old forum "on", otherwise people could still post there.

The fix is for Ian to edit his thread so it points to the proper thread on THIS forum. That would take some time to accomplish though.

Ron

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I believe the problem occurs when a link was posted under the old forum and is now viewed on the new forum by using a search.

Any such links on the old forum threads will not work.

Ian

Ron Earp

Admin
That is correct - any such links here, or there, that go back to a URL with "ubbthreads" in it will not work. The ubbthreads forum is turned off.

Now, those threads still exist in the new forum, but you'd have to find their equilvalents and use the new URL.

In reality very few threads are affected by this problem.

Best,
Ron

Perhaps one solution would be to right-click on the link to an inactive thread. If the person who put up the link did so by using the search function then the search terms should be visible in the link properties.

That is a good tip Mark. Didn't help in this case, but worth remembering.
Ron, as you say it won't affect too many posts. Presumably it affects any posts with a link to the old forum, wether it was started in the new forum or the old forum. In that case all links which were created while using the old forum will be dead?

Cheers

Back