I hate trailers......

Ron Earp

Admin
I really don't like trailers for race cars. Trailers generally have some sorts of issues and it typically occurs when you are far from home. I maintain my trailer pretty well - repack the bearings, new brakes, etc. at least once a year but there is always something that needs doing. On top of that, you need to hook it up and unhook it to your truck it seems like on an hourly schedule.

I would love to get rid of my trailer. But what would I replace it with?

I was thinking something along the lines of a UPS type truck. I envision a straight truck, one that doesn't have the floor jacked up like 3-4 feet off the ground like a Ryder truck or U Haul truck, but a straight truck with the floor about 1.5 feet off the ground and has a loading ramp. I'd like it to be 7.5-8 feet wide, and have the wheels on the outside of the enclosed box. Maybe the loading area would be 15 ft long, no more. 5.5 feet high in the back section or there abouts with a cab that has two seats. I'd just drive this thing to the track, off load my car, and then use it to drive around to the hotel etc. while there.

If there is enough room, and I think there would be, I'm build in a small bunk, little fridge, tool box, and a roof AC maybe.

Now does anyone make something like this? I thought about a roll back truck but the platform is too damn high, and it'd suck tilting the bed back to load the car and dumping my bunk, fridge, beer, etc. all over the paddock. Everyone ever seen anything remotely like this?

UPS driver pulled up at work today and I was all over his truck with a tape measure. It'd work, but has two huge protrustions into the box area due to the wheels, and the rear door is way too small.

Dreaming of one day not dragging a trailer around....

Ron

PS - found this, how much would one of these cost for me to build out custom on? I could build the entire back section and have it as low as I want etc......

Attachments

• cchassis.jpg
    cchassis.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 876
Ron

The only way around the wheel well issue with a flat floor is to have the floor height above the dually wheels...ie the waist high floor. I have seen moving companies with long lightweight ramps to load cars into their semi's, however I still think they won't be long/flat enough for race car ground clearances. There are also hydraulic lift gates that fold down and will lift up to 5000#. That is how most of the "Stacker" trailers deal with multilevel car trailering.
I have a 2006 international CF500 with a 8'wide by 16' long box, flat floor, and translucent roof, in dash GPS with integral color backup camera that would be perfect....you would have to add the lift gate though.
I had thought about this as well. You could mount a generator and air compressor under the box to the chassis rail on one side and some big tool boxes on the other. The CF500 is 22' overall, you can park it anywhere you can park a crewcab dually, but the turning radius is SIGNIFICANTLY smaller than pick-ups or cutaway vans. Plus it has the v-6 version of the Ford Powerstroke Diesel engine and a nifty 5 speed auto.

Ron Earp

Admin
ohhh, like this? I saw the ultra tall ones, but one like this would allow me to build a low roof etc. that would allow the rig to get under a 9ft door. Only problem is, these things aren't cheap!

Attachments

• 72636702.jpg
    72636702.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 926

Ron Earp

Admin
Holy smoke, Chuck, that would be it!!!!
I need to research this! Thanks much, that is helpful, much appreciated.

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 1,038

Ron Earp

Admin
Whoa, I like that one too! Which one is worth more, the Vintage hauler or the Cougar? Always have loved Cougars.

Buy a Revcon or GMC 29 foot Motor home.
They are 29 feet long, front wheel drive front engined vehicles with low floors between the rear tandom tag along wheels.
they are very reasonable used and only require new front wheel bearings every 25000 miles.
Mort

I saw a while ago on a US web site a truck that started out as a pickup, and had the rear of the chassis changed to car transporter style.

I cant find it now though. Maybe someone else knows what I'm on about and has a link to it...

Malcolm

Supporter
Just buy someone elses used race truck as they will have put the money in but you get it at knock down price. Follow end of season race adverts and you should pick up a loaded with extras for racing truck at a good price. In UK I saw a race truck with lockers, 1.5 ton lift and benchs etc etc for only £500 more than I paid for my enclosed trailer.

Can find them on Ebay or contact Motor home dealer Like College Park in Raleigh. There are some very large operations in Charlotte and Winston Salem area . Revcon made a 35 foot unit. This would allow use of front as mini motor home and rear as car carrier. Just have to beef up frame and springs in the rear. They are about 96 inches wide on the outside and would look very unique. They have very low floors and are ergonmically well designed. Bethune in Charlotte remanufactures GMC Motor Homes if I recall correctly. Buy an FMC Motor Home magazine and they have extensive used Motor home section.
Mort

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Ron,
This is an "Aerocell" made by Unicell down the street from me, I sell a lot of them. You can do them with a low floor with wheelboxes that cover the rear duallys. Some guys use them as transports and have ramps that rest on the wheelboxes so that the floor remains flat and low while the car sits on a 10 degree angle or so, makes for easy loading and good ramp angle from the ground. I can send you info if you wish. Lots of then available used on Ford or GM chassis. They come in body lengths from 12 to 17 feet. The body is a one piece fiberglass unit with the roof translucent for light. They are made in BIG mould and the glass is sprayed robotically for even thickness.

Rick

there is a guy in Kansas City who races alfas, who took an old school bus and cut the rear panel off of it. He made some ramps in the bus and a door for the car to fit in. I'll dig around to see if I have any pics.
He's been racing here in the MidDiv for years now.

Back