I hate trailers......

The Unicell looks good. Here is another option. Just a standard cab-over with a custom short box on the back. I would use a hydraulic lift over the long ramps though. The nice thing with those cab over trucks is the wide choice of engines you can get. Anything from a 4 cylinder turbo diesel to an American V8.

2006-06-01_190521_silv26.jpg

Took some measurements on the one listed over at Gasholes...floor of box is exactly 3' off the ground, unloaded. The depth of the box is 16, height is 6.5' and width is over 7.5'. So it should be easier to get a vehicle in than the cab-over above. Plus, the benefits of the Powerstroke diesel. Few more pics, working on finishing the inside:

Attachments

• boxtruck2i.jpg
    boxtruck2i.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 580
  • boxtruck3.jpg
    boxtruck3.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 589

Ron Earp

Admin
Is it 9.5 feet tall, or a bit taller? Is quite important for what I am trying to do. I know inside you indicate 6.5 feet, and 3 ft off the ground, but a wiggle room of 6" is a lot in my case.

Ron

I have thought about this a lot. Personally I think there are too many difficulties with the big truck. I think the little box truck you are looking at will have a weight capacity problem. If you want the Cadillac this is it Renegade Truck Conversions - Sales, Service and National Delivery Since 1973! . They will make it with an enclosed back end or open. On the less expensive side you could work this into something that would work Used 1998 Ford F850 Chassis Renegade Conversion Vending Truck.
The problem I found is that the truck is either too small to carry what you need or too big to drive anywhere, especially if it's a big race weekend. Then there is the problem of either leaving your car under a tarp for the night or loading it into the truck. At the end of the day it's awfully nice to roll the car into a secure trailer and drive off in a relatively small tow vehicle and be able to park it anywhere. The next day everything is setup and ready to use back at the track.
Bill

Ron
This may be a bit out there, but around here I’ve seen this setup on ranch trucks to load round hay bales onto a flat-bed. It might be possible to connect the hydraulic arm to a ramp hinged to the back of the truck bed. Drive the car onto the ramp, lift the ramp even with the bed, drive on, disconnect the ramp, and the hydraulic arms rotate around and out of the way. A used flat bed truck can be had for under $5K, and if you got a stake-bed, it would be easy to put a removable “camper top” on it as well. I don’t know the price but here’s a link to a dealer:
Hydra Bed-The Original Hydraulic Bale Bed

Attachments

• bale bed.jpg
    bale bed.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 496

charlie

Lifetime Supporter
Sounds like my truck - bought it on ebay last Fall. Setting up shop and smaller sleeper in it now. 1999 GMC-6500 with Brown conversion - 26 ft long box - 25,950 gvw - sloped rear floor ,ramps and winch. Just haul it in.

Paid $19k and put a bunch more in with interior fix up.

They show up as car haulers - toterhomes - toter homes - toy haulers.

Charlie

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
chucktoo said:
Sounds like my truck - bought it on ebay last Fall. Setting up shop and smaller sleeper in it now. 1999 GMC-6500 with Brown conversion - 26 ft long box - 25,950 gvw - sloped rear floor ,ramps and winch. Just haul it in.

Paid $19k and put a bunch more in with interior fix up.

They show up as car haulers - toterhomes - toter homes - toy haulers.

Charlie

Charlie -
How far above the ground is the bed and how long are your loading ramps? Do you happen to have a picture? I like the idea of 26 feet - there's enough room for the car, toolbox and slicks.

Thanks,
Steve

Ron Earp

Admin
Richard, that is a cool model!

Those were the days - the Elf cars being run out of that truck (at least transported) and nowadays much larger and fancier haulers are used to routinely transport amatuer SCCA cars to tracks etc. I'm positively low budget with my 20ft enclosed, that is for sure!!!

Everyone..............

It appears its time to send a few of you folks to another web site to check out what is available for trailers and trucks. Some people like the trailer deal, because you still can use the truck for something else when you are not pulling the trailer.....and some people are not very good at (backing up) trailers.:mad:

So please, take the time to check this out. Once you have visited this site, I am sure you will find alot to things to put on your wish list.:)

I do not have any affiliation with this web site.

Go here: Racing Classifieds - Buy, Sell and Trade for Race Cars for Free - Free Classifieds Powered By Racingjunk.com and click on "Towing". You will have a choice to look at trailers, tow rigs, toterhomes, used trailers, new trailers...........and that is JUST in the towing category!!!!!

Chime back in and let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Gary Kadrmas:pepper:

Last edited:

Ron Earp

Admin
Hey Gary,

Racingjunk.com is one of the many windows that opens in Firefox for me. I look at a lot of stuff there, but haven't seen exactly what I want yet, but have seen some things that were close! Great site, good for bringing it to the attention of others. Motor deals there are sometimes awesome.

Ron

Ron,

If you are set (somewhat) on getting a truck either done, or one you can build the way it will work best for you, try:

Trucks For Sale at Truck Paper: Freightliner, International Trucks, Kenworth, Peterbilt, Mack trucks, dump trucks, dump trailers, used trailers for sale.

You will need to choose the truck manufacturer (Ford for me!), or the "class" truck you would need for your application, based on the weight limitations. A person can find alot of cab and chassis trucks listed for sale at this web site.

This is another site where you will find yourself spending time viewing.....at least it hooked me.

If anyone has any questions on the racingjunk or truckpaper web sites, chime back in............

By the way, if anyone is thinking about converting a truck into a hauler, I recommend you put some thought to weight limitations (Under 26K pounds), and putting in a few things to qualify it for a toterhome (Sink/shower/toilet/refrig/ect). Some trucks have steep license fees, and a toterhome in some cases will be much less. This will vary from state to state, so good luck.

Cheers

Gary Kadrmas

Back