Resistance!!

I need to make up a set of Sparkplug wires for my 306 running the RF Motec setup including multy coil packs. The Tech asked what wire resistance was needed and I had no idea what to tell him. So I need to know what others with this setup are running?

My next question concerns the 90 degree terminal ends the connect to the coils, any idea as to what type these are?

Peter

Peter

You need to have leads made with a suppression core(silicon outer and carbon type core).

I have had plenty of lead sets made and have never asked what resistance the cable is.

I have had no issues with interferance or breakdowns ect ect and these have been on mainly turbo engines that run higher cylinder pressures than N/A.
Heres an link to the brand I use here in OZ.
bIhttp://www.rocketindustries.com.au/search.php?brand=EAGLE+LEADS&menu=Ignition
Just dont use copper.

A lead manufacture will supply terminals but my advice make them up out of rope or an old set of leads to get your lengths send them to the manufacturer tell them what terminals you want(get them to fax a pic of the ends to confirm) and have them make them.
You need a special crimp tool to fit the terminals you can buy 3 -4 sets of leads for the price of the tool.
Just my 2c worth.

Jim

Last edited:
Jim,
Thanks for the reply. I to never had to worry about wire resistance before myself but when asked I was stuck for an answer. Anyway after speaking with the tech at Taylor Cable and doing some measuring with .25 clear plastic water tube, (It lays down just like the actual wire.) we determined that I could use a universal set that comes with 135 degree plug ends and 90 degree coil ends to fit female terminals. The wire is 350 Ohms Resistance which is a standard and the kit comes with (2) 33.5, (2) 38, (1) 45.5, (1) 49.5 and (2) 53 inch leads. This should work since the longest run is 43" and the shortes is 18".

As for the crimper, that went for $14.34us from Summit.

I have 21 items left on the list to complete before engine start, with the most involved being the cutting and boxing of the cross member under the headers. I am hoping for engine start in two weeks.

Peter

Back