Battery to loom sequence

Hi Guys,

I know that this will seem quite basic to most of you but a sparky I am not so forgive me. With the KVA I picked up there was a "new looking" loom. Most of it is labelled so I can work that all out apart from the 2 areas that I wondered if anyone knew about.

Area 1
At the front end, near the fuse box there are 4 wires grouped together, Solid Blue, Red, White & black. All of the headlamp wires are there so they cant be that but this is the only part of the loom that has no "male" connector to help me as to where it goes.

Area 2
I would like to get some help on the wiring sequence from the battery positive to the loom. At the moment there is no obvious way to get power to it.

I attach a couple of pictures, one of which you can see the mystical connector which has no where to go & the other a general picture in case you can identify whose loom it is? Tornado?

Any help for a wiring novice would be grateful.

Last edited:
Common practice with most non EFI cars is that the battery positive lead runs to the starter solenoid main power stud, and the loom picks up off that. As alternator outputs increase, the alt output cable is often directed back to the positive terminal directly, with an included fusible link rated at about 150% of alternator rating. The link protects the wiring in the event that the diodes in the alternator fail and short circuit.
Some cars also have a positive feed from the battery terminal direct to a junction box nearby, for supplying aux power.

Earthing is a heavy duty from block to battery terminal plus a medium duty direct to a suitable chassis earth point nearby.

Brian Magee

Supporter
Hi Chris
Like you, I am no electrician but from the little I know, as Mal says, the battery positive goes straight to the starter motor and then to the alternator. Your loom should have a lead going from the fuse box to the alternator, this is where it picks up the feed. I think your loom is GTD but the way to tell is the GTD loom has three plugs at the sill by the steering column but the Tornado loom comes through the centre tunnel and joins the dashboard loom in the centre.

Brian.

I'd say it is a Tornado loom and as said above the main power is picked up off the starter motor positive terminal. I have the same connector in your pic - under my dash that isn't used for anything, on my car. On the Tornado wiring diagram it says Dim-Dip module Lucas 14da whatever one of those is.

Thanks to you all. To be "safe" and sure I have got a car electrician coming over to wire it in. He is booked for the 28th of Feb. I think paying for his time for a day will be worth while & reassuring.

After he has been I'll be getting the body down...and on. Its my goal to have it SVA'd this year...as the engine is in, & the wiring will be then mostly done its down to fitting the body & internals. It's a shame I cant get it ready for le mans this time round. Will be there anyway & can't wait!

Thanks again & look forward to seeing you in July, if not before at one of the club meetings

Chris

Back