T70 spyder tow eye

Hi all, sorry to bombard you with questions.
We need to fit a front tow eye, but do not want to weld etc onto the front radiator. Is there any pictures people have of how tow eyes are fitted to the spyder? thanks

The towing eye looks fragile, but the bottom diagonals attach to metal straps riveted to the radiator supports and the vertical diagonal (you know what I mean !) just locates the eye.
pulling on the eye actually pushes on the radiator so long as the tow rope has an approach angle. This towing eye is NOT used for towing or loading or strapping down the car. It would not do well with repeated lateral forces. We use the roll bar for towing and loading. With the nose in place it is hidden, but with the nose off for tech inspections, it is visible..

66_Bardahl_Lola_RacedByGurney_DV-06-WG_e01.jpg

66_Bardahl_Lola_RacedByGurney_DV-06-WG_01.jpg

66_Lola_T70_MKII_DV-06-HHC_03.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here are a couple of pics of the eye we use. It bolts up through the bottom of the nose box just behind the rad. Sits just inside the nose opening and is almost unseen, and strong enough to winch the car into the trailer by.

Darren

CRC Racecar Engineering

Attachments

• P110408_13.31.JPG
    P110408_13.31.JPG
    112.2 KB · Views: 331
  • P110408_13.31[01].JPG
    P110408_13.31[01].JPG
    110.2 KB · Views: 309
  • P110408_13.31[02].JPG
    P110408_13.31[02].JPG
    83.7 KB · Views: 388
  • 110 nose.jpg
    110 nose.jpg
    39.2 KB · Views: 353
Nice work Darren. Did you notice the old fans from a fridge that we had to work around ? I like your system better...

Thanks Johan. The early cars certainly throw up a few probs. The 3b's are a piece of cake by comparison, just build a centre splitter into the nose box. Yes, I noticed the fans. Are they original or a throw over to when it had the coupe body on the road?

L8R

Darren

CRC Racecar Engineering

they are rheostatically controlled with a "frigidaire" knob thingy and they are from the late 1970s when AC was installed. They are not visible in this picture, as they are on the other side of the radiator. I plan to move them back to that location or remove them for racing. they are not needed on a track, but are handy in traffic or the pits...

attachment.php

Back