You tell me ?

Attachments

• biga.jpg
    biga.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 561
I wonder if that's one of the shelby GT40's that i've heard about.... mind you if it was i'd expect the seller to be shouting the fact that it's a "shelby" from the roof tops.

Keith

It's called "truth in advertising".:evil: A brand new 1965 "CONTINUATION"
give me a break.:shrug:

But if you don't click on the details it's listed as a 1965 FIA GT40. Picky perhaps but it's designed to draw you in further for sure.

You can have your break now.:laugh:

Ian Clark

Supporter
I'll add to the original question of "who made it ?" - "What should it sell for?" The car is very well done and may eventually receive FIA papers. As presented the car is eligible for an HTP in the sellers opinion. Hmmmm...

Hello all, I'm new here. I've been reading the posts for several months now. I've decided to stick my "toes in the water". As for the above, it my very well be an overpriced replica, I like 40 Bud's definition/comment "genuine artifical leather and authentic replica". I do have to say after reviewing the photos, it is rather well done in the details. Just my 2 cents ~Earl

Hi John the tail and single rear lights give the game away!!! I just hope I do not have to pay top dollar to watch it race!!! When its just a copy? No matter how well made!
Regards Allan

Hi all.... its not a Gelscoe Car, it has a Gelscoe Chassis. The car was built by Gerry Wainright- NOT GELSCOE MOTORSPORT. The Chassis was supplied by Gelscoe as a replacement for 1001 but was never used as Alan LLoyd stopped racing due to illness. The car does not have FIA Papers as it has no Gelscoe number on the Chassis. Gelscoe has refused the car a number as it was a replacement Chassis not a complete car when it left the Factory. Hope that sets the record straight.

It is obviously a replica, like all the others, if it was built in 2007. It looks very well done, except for details like the switches, but not worth $500,000 IMO. It is interesting that it might never get FIA papers because of the lack of a chassis number - that is good news as when we watch Classic racing we assume the competing cars are the genuine article, not imposters like some of the "continuation" models.

Chris

If you want to know what real and not so real GT40's are on the market I suggest you check: Classic Driver - HOME
Today they list under GT40 a total of 13 cars:
the real one's:
1059 at 1,3M
1101 ??
AM/2 the real deal
1077 ??
The not so real:
1039 ex P Bos TdF ext went through the magic hands of Sborro
1085A Sbarro for 235K
And also:
MkIV for 168K on photo looks ok but at that price must be J13?
MKV Safir for 168K
CAV for 62K
etc?.

Roel

The problem with the HTP system is that in fact a complete new car can be allowed to race against originals. It is up to the organisers of events to refuse replica's (any continuation car on a new chassis is a replica).
I will not enter events with my original GT40 if I have to race against a brand new kitcar.

Dear HHH,
Whilst understandable not to want to race against brand new kitcar with your original GT40 so where is this when racing John Sheldon in his LOTUS ELAN –
"JRO 20C #26/4642 to R Specification There has been no expense spared in the maintenance and development of this Lotus Elan. 1965 Series 2 Lotus Elan, with HTP Papers and Homologation Papers." By all accounts a reconstruction?
Looking forward to seeing your GT40 out again soon particularly on the TdF. Any chance of that?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Interesting web site. They advertise 1040 for sale. That is not 1040. That is the Sbarro copy of 1040 which is a fake. Ironic that it was done long ago enough that it now has patina because it's been beat around. The real 1040 is at Robert Ash's shop in the USA being restored, or so I'm told.

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Can someone tell me why this car has an FIA passport, as it is a new car? Is it because it is an exact copy of a sixties' Mark I car?

Back