GT40 Mk III with racing bodywork?

I'm currently doing heavy research on GT40s, mostly because i'm obsessive about details. This research has led me to this site, which is great. I've already learned alot just from reading a couple posts here.

My question is this: was there ever an Mk III with racing bodywork? Check out the link below, it's supposed to be an Mk III, but from what i understand, Mk IIIs were road cars-only.

Ford GT40 Mk III

As you can see, the pic shows a car with quad headlamps. Other than this, i can't really tell the difference between an Mk 1 and an Mk III. Perhaps there was a road car painted as a race car replica? Would it have been painted by the factory? Or is it more likely (if it actually IS an Mk III) that this car was painted sometime after its production?

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40's Parnelli...

Steering wheel is on the wrong side...

MK1 front clip with the center NACA duct..

Those wheels look like the currently available Compomotives.

Wow, thanks for your quick answer!

But i am correct with my original assumption, right? There were no Mk IIIs with racing bodywork and/or decals from the factory, right?

Mark III's had an extended body to conform to luggage space requirements,if I'm not mistaken.They are physically different.Also originally equipped with lower HP engine.

For the sake of completeness it should be pointed out that there is a Mk III which has recently been rebodied and converted to RHD on the market currently : 1101

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
For the sake of completeness it should be pointed out that there is a Mk III which has recently been rebodied and converted to RHD on the market currently : 1101

I hate to hear that, these cars are so rare as it is, I would like to see one up close. I know that many of the members are not fond of the looks of the MK III but I think it to still be a piece of history, I like the way they look, certainly the wire wheels.

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Jack,
That particular MKIII is fifteen miles from my home in the south of England and I visited it regularly at one time.
There is a post somewhere on here with photos of it.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Didn't the original Mk III have roll-up windows with a wing window in the door?

Doug

The very first Mk 3 GT40 (M3/1101) was reconfigured at a cost of over 170,000 GPB by marque expert Paul Lanzante to fully convert it to Mk 1 FIA configuration. The economy was booming, vintage racing at Goodwood etc. was all the rage and it seemed like a reasonable thing to do at the time.

The amount of work required was extensive, because among other things, they had to move the shifter from the center to the right sill. New body, wheels, engine, exhaust, etc. etc. were also part of the conversion. Still, I think the price paid for the work was obscenely high.

Unfortunately, the owner ran out of steam just as it was completed. I got to spend a fair bit of time in and around the car (stationary) when it was for sale at Lee Maxted-Page's GT40 store. :laugh:

It is listed here among the many other genuine GT40s he has sold over the years:

Maxted-Page Limited - Archive

It was beautifully done, except that inexplicably it had been fitted with horrid modern racing seats, which were both ugly, and made it nearly impossible (even by GT40 standards) to get into and out of the car.

He sold it a couple of years ago, and the car is now for sale once again; you can view it here:

Historic Classics | Ford GT40 1966

Although I despise the Mk3, I do think it is sad that the prototype was altered so significantly. However, all the original bits were retained and go with the car, so it could be converted back again (hopefully for less than 170,000 GBP!)

Also, FWIW I just saw another Mk3 (M3/1102) last week in the Miller Motorsports Museum outside Salt Lake City (along with Mk IV GT40 J4). That car resided for years in the Beaulieu motor museum, owned by the daughter of John Wyer, but evidently it has since traded hands and is now owned by Shelby/GT40 fanatic Larry Miller. (Besides the MkIV and Mk 3, he also owns a Mk 1, innumerable 289 and 427 Cobras, GT350s, GT500s, Ford and Mercury Trans-Am cars, one of the two AC Cobra coupes, and one of the six Cobra Daytona coupes).

Miller owns over a hundred car dealerships. Memo to self--in my next life, come back as a car dealer! :laugh:

Last edited by a moderator:

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
These are photos of P1103 at Beaulieu
Credit should go to Ian for some of these

Attachments

• P1103 001.jpg
    P1103 001.jpg
    245.7 KB · Views: 604
  • P1103 002.jpg
    P1103 002.jpg
    257.1 KB · Views: 602
  • P1103 003.jpg
    P1103 003.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 847
  • P1103 004.jpg
    P1103 004.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 547
  • P1103 005.jpg
    P1103 005.jpg
    255.3 KB · Views: 554
  • P1103 006.jpg
    P1103 006.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 547
  • P1103 007.jpg
    P1103 007.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 524
  • P1103 008.jpg
    P1103 008.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 522
  • P1103 Front Detail.jpg
    P1103 Front Detail.jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 540
These are great pictures James. I see the obvious differences in the Facia and rear decks, but where is the access to the luggage compartment in the rear that we have all heard about?
Garry :!blank:

Thanks for all the replies. I am overwhelmed, but it's better than having no info at all!

So it looks as if the original Mk III was partially converted to a racing body, but the guy never finished the project? lol Sad.

So the reason i signed up to this site and stuff isn't because i own or aspire to own a GT40, i dont have that kind of money. :sad: But i'm a writer, and a car-enthusiast. And i get my kicks racing in Gran Turismo since i'll never race for real. Anyways, i've been writing a car review for the GT40 as it appears in GT2, 3, and 4. Feel free to read it if you can, and criticize or comment as well. I want all the facts straight, you see, and when cruising the net, what happens is you get so much info that contradicts, or is just plain false.

Anyways, have a look at the link below. Tell me what you think. :)

Ford GT40 road car

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Garry,
The two black boxes straddling the exhaust shown to the right in this picture.
Great for delivering the hot pizzas.
This MKIII is P1105

Attachments

• ENGINE BAY P1105.jpg
    ENGINE BAY P1105.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 600
So it looks as if the original Mk III was partially converted to a racing body, but the guy never finished the project? lol Sad.

No, the car was fully completed, but then apparently his fortunes turned and he never raced it. It may have only been driven a few miles, but it's definitely complete.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Ian and Jimmy, someday before I kick the bucket I would like to be able to experience the UK and see all the places the GT40 was built, tested and made history. Wish we could form a GT40 tour get together over in your country, I would like to see an RS200 someday too.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Jack

Hasn't been a better time that this year for the Americans coming over here!

Last year I visited USA and got $1.95 from our £ this year it will cost $1.50 for a £ so about 25 % cheaper than last year.

I sugest you book up and get tickets for Goodwood or similar - the touring can be done around an event lije that

Ian

Back