Just joined

New to the forum, but very interested in the topics. Have done a bunch of projects, most recently some mid-engine work-- a Porsche 550 Spyder replica with 914 gearbox and twin-turbo Subaru EJ20 (WRX) powerplant. It's light and it flies (and, with swing-axle rear suspension it's licensed to spin-out! :drunk: )

Looking forward to a GT40 soon, with an interesting powerplant, I hope.

Happy to be here!
Tom

Welcome Tom -

Sounds like you're already a petrol-head so you're gonna fit in just fine on here.. :thumbsup:

Do use the search facility as there have been bucket loads of topics covered in depth already but do not hesistate to ask either, as the board is full of very knowledgeable friendly techies who can answer/resolve all manner of problems.

How about posting a few pics of your builds too? they sound interesting..

Hey Tom,

Welcome to the forum! Your car sounds like a nice one. By all means post some pictures. There are a few 550 owners here as well. You may know myself and "Spyder Mike" from Redirecting you to the new Spyderclub Portal... . I'm posting a few pics of my 550 :

Attachments

• 550_front_3.jpg
    550_front_3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 250
  • 550_rear2.jpg
    550_rear2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 221
  • 011.jpg
    011.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 253
  • 550 spyder 008.jpg
    550 spyder 008.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 237
  • 550_front_1_.jpg
    550_front_1_.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 230
Thanks for all the kind greetings. We're based in Western Idaho, but spend quite a bit of time in So Cal on business.

The 550 was a Beck car and is a little hybridized-- in that we updated the engine to a modern Subaru boxer (2.0 L) with turbos and SDS standalone engine management. ( I couldn't handle the Type I's carbs and attendant tuning issues. Now, when you turn the key it starts-- first time, every time. ) Suspension and brakes were left in the original Type I configuration, though. What this means is that it's got WAY too much power for the tires and chassis. As one of the car magazines observed years ago about the Beck-- "only car we've ever driven that will spin in it's own length". I think it will.

Sure is fun in a straight line when the boost comes on hard though. And, it is engaging to drive. It's finished in Zermatt silver, with red interior. I'll post some pictures here in the next few days.

Also are just finishing up an oddball-- a true Porsche 912 that's been chopped and Spyderized. We are putting a 911RS motor in it, but getting rid of CIS and installing modern port injection. It's also light and should be a quick, fun car. We are updating to true 911 suspension and brakes on all four corners, so should turn and stop better than the 550. Just for fun we are also replacing the original 912 seats with modern (and heated) Boxster S seats. The theme is a classic 912, with some modern, up-to-date touches. I'll post some pictures of that one as it comes along.

Just now thinking about the next project-- and the GT40 interest. Considering V8 power through an Audi or Porsche 915/G50 box. I'm sure I'll be searching archives and posting (dumb :lipsrsealed: ) questions as we try to figure it out.

Thanks again for all the hospitality.

TT

Eric,

BTW, I have lurked on SpyderClub and have had some interest in Arachnamania down in Arizona every fall. Looks like major fun, so we may bring a car down this fall for it.

Thanks again for the greetings,
TT

Welcome aboard! I always wanted a 550 or RSK replica but never got around to it. A friend has a really well done Brazilian 356 Coupe replica, love it! Plenty of knowledge on this forum. There are no dumb questions.

Dutton

Lifetime Supporter
Welcome Tom.

Be sure to put the word out if you're heading for the far side of the Cascades...

T.

PNW get-together?

Great idea.

Columbia Gorge (Multnomah Falls) is nice in the spring, or the river road on the Washington side, east from Vancouver/Washougal. Grants Pass/Medford area has lots of great roads, too.

As the weather improves toward spring we ought to see how many folks are from the Northwest and who might be interested.

Pics

Posted a few photos of the 550 tonight. Will take some more outdoors, when winter lifts and the weather improves.

Tom and Mike,
Hoping to get a GT40 gathering together this summer. There are about 12 of us in WA and OR. Would probably be in the Seattle area since most are there.

PIR or Seattle Raceway! Either sounds like a great excuse to bring a couple of cars over the Cascades!

Back