Dax 40 - The rteurn

I am in the process of getting my Dax 40 back on the road after going through a number of personal and financial disasters over the last 3 years. Thankfully, I have managed to hang on to a number of things very close to my heart, one of which is my Dax 40. I purchased my Dax 40 direct from DJ Sportscars in 1991. It was registered in 1994. My web site, http://www.champagnieres.net, details a bit of this. I am currently attempting to get the car back on the road so that I can make the Kit Car Show at Stoneleigh, Warwickshire, England in May.

The car is currently being resprayed. I have included a number of photographs.

I am also convinced that all this bad weather we have experienced is my fault. One result of my situation is that I no longer have a workshop / garage at home, which I can keep the car in. The car has been kept at a location about 10 miles away from my home, at the friend of a friend who has a double garage he doesn't use !! Anyway, I decided I wanted to get the car repainted, so towed it to my home, where it had to reside on the drive. I have attached a number of photos depicting it on the drive, being towed to the painters, and currently in primer.

I will try and keep you up to date with my progress.

Attachments

• Feb08-S6001084.jpg
    Feb08-S6001084.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 431
  • Feb08-S6001086.jpg
    Feb08-S6001086.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 573
  • 2009-feb-S6001098.jpg
    2009-feb-S6001098.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 462
  • 2009-feb-S6001100.jpg
    2009-feb-S6001100.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 437

Keith

Nice one mate - never say never eh?

By the way, that's not a spelling error. It's a "transposition" which means your brain is working quicker than the hands can keep up. Normally happens to, er, older people lkie em. Geddit? :)

I don't want to get too philosophical, or maybe sad, but one must follow ones dreams. It is a very difficult path, but you must do it. It's amazing the effect a car such as the GT40 has on you and other people. My Dax is nowhere approaching an original but the impression it leaves on people is amazing. The guy who's spraying it for me said he holds it such owe that he couldn't touch it for a day or so. Thankfully he's now bit the bullit and is off and running. Again, I must be a bit sad, because I will just sit there and look at it. Still, work to do, Stoneleigh beckons.

I currently have a number of jobs to do with regard to getting the car back on the road.

The windscreen will probably need replacing. I am trying to get the dashboad recovered. One of the rear brake calipers seems to be playing up, with regard to the handbrake. The handbrake cable is functioning correctly, but the drivers side rear wheel refuses to lock, when the brake is applied. The brakes on the car are basically Ford Granada Scorpio. I am going to try and get some replacement calipers so that I can rebuild and replace the offending item.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Well that is one I know already

Windscreen is a GTD unit - My DAX one broke on fitting and the GTD slotted straight in.

I got mine through Frank Catt - he organised the fitter to call and do it on site.

Ian

I don't want to get too , I must be a bit sad, because I will just sit there and look at it. .

Don't think you're the only one! I've had more than one '40, but still love the shape from EVERY angle. There just isn't a bad angle to look at this car from (unlike almost every other car)
Simon

Re: Dax 40 - The return

Well, while the car is at the sprayers, I am tackling the dashboard. This was removed prior to taking the car, so as least I've got something to do while the car is away. When the car was initially being built, I decided not to have the dash covered, but to use "crinkle" finish paint. This seemed to work very well on the aluminium plates, that take the switches, but not too well on the dashboard itself. You may be able to see some of this in the attached photos. I have decided therefore to get the dash covered in leather.

I am in the process of rubbing it down and making a few "slight" amendments. I was under the impression that the Dax originally took the moulds from a KVA, and was then modified somewhat. Does the dashboard from the KVA allow for the fitting of the Ford Zodiac demister panel ? The Dax certainly does not. Again, hopefully by reference to the photos, you will see 2 round holes cut in the top of the dashboard. There were fibreglass covers over these holes with slits in them for the air to come through. I have removed these as they were catching on the windscreen moulding !! I plan to fill these holes and make 2 slits in the top of the dashboard and put covers on, once the dash is recovered.

The other thing I did when initially building the car was to make a small "glove" box in either side of the dash, as some form of secret drawer. These could only be opened when the doors were open. I have since decided that this may make the dash even more difficult to cover, so have fibreglassed them back up.

I will try and make more posts as my progress (if thats the right word), continues.

Attachments

• DashbordS6001104.jpg
    DashbordS6001104.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 391
  • DashbordS6001105.jpg
    DashbordS6001105.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 391
  • DashbordS6001108.jpg
    DashbordS6001108.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 378

Picked the car up on Friday afternoon. I am absolutely amazed at the difference in the cars looks. Have posted some photos so you can compare "before" and "after". Unfortunately scratched the front towing it back, but at least it should not be too difficult to repair.

Whilst writing, does anyone have any idea what the spring rates on the front of the Dax should be ? Unfortunately, the ones I have on, originally supplied by DJ's, do not say. I am not 100 percent happy with how the car sits. To me, it appears slightly nose up, even though I have measured the distance from the front of the chassis to the ground and the rear of the chassis to the ground and the distance is equal. I would like to drop the nose slightly, but don't want to affect things too much as the ride height is OK. I have tried various springs with different rates in the past, and couldn't get it sorted. The original ones fitted still seem the best of a bad lot. I have tried adjusting the tightness on the shock absorbers, but I can't really adjust any more without the springs being loose !

Attachments

• ResprayS6001114.jpg
    ResprayS6001114.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 402
  • ResprayS6001115.jpg
    ResprayS6001115.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 362
  • ResprayS6001116.jpg
    ResprayS6001116.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 375
  • ResprayS6001120.jpg
    ResprayS6001120.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 403
Starting to take shape again. Rear end almost complete. Story of my life, - "almost". Picture herewith.

Attachments

• RearEnd_1131.jpg
    RearEnd_1131.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 421
Hi Stephen,

The car is looking really good. Credit to you.
I noticed the holes in the headlight recess, presumably for indicators. When you have them mounted I'd be interested to see how they look. I haven't completely finalised my choice in that area yet.

Martin

Dave Bilyk

Dave Bilyk
Supporter
Stephen,
my car was fitted with
front 200lbf/in 10.5" free length 2.25"id 10.5" 10.5mm wire 10.5 turns
Rear 250lbf/in 2.25"id 10.5" 11 mm wire 10.5 turns
springs when I bought it (I am the 3rd or 4th owner)

The ride was too soft and the front grounded easily, so I changed them to Front 300lbf/in 2.25"id 10.5" 11.5mm wire 10 turns
Rear 350lbf/in 2.25"id 10.5" 12mm wire 10 turns

The shocks are SPAX G10AL 15" between eyes fully open

hope this helps

regards
Dave

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Don't know if it's the lighting or lens filter but that is an uncommon but beautiful blue!

I've always been a sucker for that end of the rainbow!! :)

You're making good progress.. Must soldier on!!!

Update on progress -

Now had a new screen fitted. Really pleased. The quality of the screen and the guy who fitted it, is far superior to the last lot who supplied the previous screen.

Have fitted most of the bits and its starting to look like a car again.

I had hoped to get the car mot'd but unfortunately the company I needed to get some flexible brake pipes from have let me down. They quoted approximately a week for delivery, but its been almost 2. I keep phoning them and they say they will chase them up and call me back, but they never seem to call me back. I always have to chase them.

I am off to France shortly, for our Easter holiday, and need to get my car back to its garage. I had hoped to drive it there, but will have to tow it there, as time has conspired against me and the car is not taxed and tested.

The dash was refitted, and I was really pleased that when I tested the electrics, the only thing that did not work was the screen washer. On investigation, one of the clips had fallen off the switch. My plan is to get the car back on the road asap. The dash will need to come out again, as I want to get it covered. I plan to do this in August.

I started the engine today. It sounded like a right bag of nails, but considering it has not been started for a while, I suppose that is understandable.

I have included a number of photos which hopefully give an idea of the progress. Struggling a bit to upload multiple photos. Only managed to upload one for now. I will try and upload a few more later.

Attachments

• March09-S6001136.jpg
    March09-S6001136.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 411

Just to let you know, the car passed its MOT this morning. We are now back. Still plenty to do, but once, taxed, I can now drive it on the road again.

Stephen :thumbsup:

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Stephen

congratulations
Good to hear the rarest bread has another mobile car in the UK

I've got the first MOT job next month see how good the emissions are!

Ian

Back