SL-C powerplant possibility?

Hello,

I have what may be an odd question on the powerplant choices for the SL-C. Are the choices locked into a V8 platform or is there room for a Mercedes V12? I've searched but not found any info.

On a side note, I presume there is no rearward visibility other than side mirrors?

Thanks!

Eric

Hi Eric,

First, WELCOME!! So far, the V8 holds the lion's share of builds. However, there is a rotary build that will be starting soon. I toyed with the concept of a Viper V10 and Ferrari V12 but found a LS7 crate engine. A Mercedes V12 would be quite the engine if it will fit. Check the dimensions of the V12, it's length and width and then check with Fran. If you need comparison dimensions with the LSx, we can help I'm sure.

Doc

Dave Lindemann

Lifetime Supporter
Hello,

On a side note, I presume there is no rearward visibility other than side mirrors?

Thanks!

Eric

Eric - Welcome to the Forum! You are correct, the rear bulkhead is solid so outside mirrors are critical and a rear view camera is probably a good idea.

Dave L

Thanks gents. I'd be interested to know the limitations as far as length. The Mercedes V12 is a rather narrow motor so width, at least on the surface, doesn't seem to be a problem.

Thanks!

Eric

You have just over 28" of length from the transaxle adapter to the bulkhead/fuel cell. I'm sure the bulkhead/fuel cell could be notched to accomodate something longer if necassary and I believe, though not positive, that Fran (or a customer) has already done this.

Why anyone would want to put in anything besides an LS engine is beyond me though ;)

That mighty short. My Toyota 4.7LTT motor measures 27" from flange face to upper waterneck. I'm not a big fan of the LS.

Yeah, that 4.7L is a whacking great iron block that's honestly a 4 man lift. Whatever goes into that light weight platform would have to be an aluminum block.

Eric

Why anyone would want to put in anything besides an LS engine is beyond me though ;)

I'm still trying to figure out how you plan on dealing with/fixing the factory defect with your engine.

I have attached a picture of the defect, if it helps you out:

RotaryEngineAnimation.gif

:laugh:

I'll attack the problem from the rear, as I'm about to lap you.

attachment.php

Attachments

• user110134_pic8591_1243128931.jpg
    user110134_pic8591_1243128931.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 3,962
Says the man running the 20b 3 rotor...

:thumbsup:

Hi:

What tranny and gearing are you planning to use with that high reving (twin turbo?) 20b grenade?

Also, could you share the specs of your planned motor - sepcifically, the weight, output and length?

I've looked at rotaries before, and the Power/Weight ratio looks unbeatable on paper. I just wonder why more "enthusiasts" don't run them in lightweight cars...

Thx.

Howard Jones

Supporter
Paul, It's cost. I have about $3500, with it headed towards about $4500 total, in my 350 chevy. I expect 450Hp but fear more like 500+. A proper 450HP rotary is in the ballpark of $20K. You can build a lot of performance with $15,000 extra to spend.

And by the way there,s not more than 60-80 pounds difference between a 4 barrel alum head SBC and a turbo/intercooled 3 rotor if you include all of the pumbing/etc. weight.

So it's cost for me. I will admit to WANTING a 18B at first until I figured out what it was going to cost to do one. Really a cool idea and a fine motor choice but not a performance advantage really. HP is HP given a equal weight.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
seal_warning.jpg

apexseals.gif

:laugh:

In all seriousness, I love the sound and idea of the rotary. I think that the Apex Seal problem can be solved by running the car on E85, as that makes the engine run cooler due to the lower combustion temperature of the fuel. This along with the ample room for extra oil coolers should keep this engine in check while it's set inside the SL-C.

Just my thoughts... If I had the money, I'd have a 4 rotor powered SL-C in the works as we speak. ;)

Laters,

Brian

Paul, It's cost. I have about $3500, with it headed towards about $4500 total, in my 350 chevy. I expect 450Hp but fear more like 500+. A proper 450HP rotary is in the ballpark of $20K. You can build a lot of performance with $15,000 extra to spend.

And by the way there,s not more than 60-80 pounds difference between a 4 barrel alum head SBC and a turbo/intercooled 3 rotor if you include all of the pumbing/etc. weight.

So it's cost for me. I will admit to WANTING a 18B at first until I figured out what it was going to cost to do one. Really a cool idea and a fine motor choice but not a performance advantage really. HP is HP given a equal weight.

So, to summarize, the issues are:
1) Cost,
2) The weight savings aren't really there, and
3) There seems to be a complexity issue as well.

It seems to me, that the rotary is perfect - in a certain HP range. Once you start trying to get over 200 - 300hp (figures from rotaryAviation), the cost, weight and complexity of the Mazda rotary starts to increase.

LS3, as Fran recommended, looks like a good balance.

Thanks for the feedback

So on the surface the LS seems to be the right motor. I guess that's logical, but damn I wish it wouldn't sound like it was being fueled by a bag of nails.

Back