SL-C powerplant possibility?

Here in the Orlando area, there are many 1000rwhp cars roaming the streets, and given their weight you're looking at roughly 570rwhp per ton. I feel that in street trim the SLC would have to be competative with that, and what's more (if it really wants to shine like a diamond), do it on 93 octane pump. So to be up to that bar the average SLC would need to be belting out ~685rwhp. THat takes into account most of the pedestrian cars on the street. Now take the Caparo T1. THat little monster is knocking down between 900 and 1000rwhp per ton.

1000 rwhp! Yikes. That is a lot of money. What chassis/body are these cars? Don't they have trouble hooking up?

1000rwhp is a lot of heat to vent in Orlando.

A guy named Paolo Castellano has been building TT Viper V10's for some time and as I recall, they were putting out about 1250HP!!! Good Gosh.....

1000 rwhp! Yikes. That is a lot of money. What chassis/body are these cars? Don't they have trouble hooking up?

1000rwhp is a lot of heat to vent in Orlando.

Lot's of MKIV Supras, at least one MKIII Supra, various year twin turob mustangs, lot's of C5 corvette's, and a few twin turbo Vipers.

Nelson Racing Engines will build you a 1600hp LSX if that suits the bill. One of these is now in a Mosler. Seems like cooling (and traction) would be a big issue, I have not seen any info on this car since the engine was installed. Anybody have more data on this?

Lot's of MKIV Supras, at least one MKIII Supra, various year twin turob mustangs, lot's of C5 corvette's, and a few twin turbo Vipers.

Yea, but you forget to mention most of those cars are usually standing mile only cars. Driven a TT 1x00rwhp Viper, would not want that in a 2000lb car. Never driven a supra, but I've seen the videos...... 1rwhp, 2rwhp, 3rwhp, 4rwhp, 50975430*e^(23487324789)rwhp ...... not my cup of tea to have to flog on it to hit massive boost.

My cobra weighs 2120lbs and makes over 600hp with 4.10s - it's pretty much power on demand that's "easy" to handle on the street.

Not really. Many of those cars are Saturday night cars. I'm just looking at what could drag an otherwise "fast" slc on a lonely patch of long straight. Not that everyone is building their car for the same end goal, but for me on a car like this the name of the game is power to weight ratio. A prime example. The current standing mile champ is a 3400lb '98 Supra at 243.xx mph. What would it take to get an SLC to that level?

I've got a little coin tied up in my Supra, but what would it take to get the SLC to the level where it could compete in something like the Texas Mile? Is the car stable at those speeds? Serious questions because my Supra is a real heavyweight, and I wouldn't be surprised if it would tip the scales at 4000lbs

You guys are throwing around 1000hp like its nothing! For all practical purposes, that kind of power seems to be reserved for show cars that don't actually drive; and drag cars, which you could argue don't actually 'drive' either.

Brian Hamilton

I'm on the verge of touching myself inappropriatel
The current standing mile champ is a 3400lb '98 Supra at 243.xx mph. What would it take to get an SLC to that level?

I know the owner of that car personally and I have seen it in his shop. His name is Sriyantha Weerasuria, or SW as we call him. LOL He owns an exotic car shop/dealership in Austin called Elite Motorsports. Really cool guy, and pretty well off. LOL He's got a great car collection.

Laters,

Brian

I know the owner of that car personally and I have seen it in his shop. His name is Sriyantha Weerasuria, or SW as we call him. LOL He owns an exotic car shop/dealership in Austin called Elite Motorsports. Really cool guy, and pretty well off. LOL He's got a great car collection.

Laters,

Brian

Oh yes, SW has a great collection. Boost Logic did an outstanding job on that car. :)

Eric

You guys are throwing around 1000hp like its nothing! For all practical purposes, that kind of power seems to be reserved for show cars that don't actually drive; and drag cars, which you could argue don't actually 'drive' either.

I dont; know man, there's a lot of people thast drive around with that kind of power daily. My machinist runs a 408 iron block in his C5 with a 350 dual stage shot. It runs pump gas and with the flip of a switch feeds from a reserve of C16 for the shot. THat car is devastating.

Howard Jones

Supporter
1000Hp..............Geese. I went to the IRL race at Sears Point last Sunday and they had the historic Grand Prix cars there running on the same track lay out on the same day. A modern IRL car running at the front is 18 SECONDS a lap faster than the fastest Historic GP car. It was a 1980 Williams I believe.

The point is these cars (IRL) are running a nearly a full minute a lap faster than I could have ever gone on the same course. And that my friends is on a 2min 20sec lap. That means I would be getting lapped every 3 or 4 laps.

They have about 700hp and weight 1800 pounds I believe. I could no more drive one of them at that pace than flap my wings and fly. I can't even begin to think about how I would ever be able to drive a car like mine on a track with a 1000HP.

I have ridden in a VERY quick track car on BIG slicks with about 550HP. I am here to tell ya that that was REALLY an eye opener. TWICE that much power. Come on........Most of us would wreck the thing in two laps...if that long and be lucky not to get killed if we tried to use that much power.

4 to 1 power to weight ratios 500hp/2000lbs in a road race car is about all most people can handle. I don't want to offend but 2 to 1... or less???? get real.

1000Hp..............Geese. I went to the IRL race at Sears Point last Sunday and they had the historic Grand Prix cars there running on the same track lay out on the same day. A modern IRL car running at the front is 18 SECONDS a lap faster than the fastest Historic GP car. It was a 1980 Williams I believe.

The point is these cars (IRL) are running a nearly a full minute a lap faster than I could have ever gone on the same course. And that my friends is on a 2min 20sec lap. That means I would be getting lapped every 3 or 4 laps.

They have about 700hp and weight 1800 pounds I believe. I could no more drive one of them at that pace than flap my wings and fly. I can't even begin to think about how I would ever be able to drive a car like mine on a track with a 1000HP.

I have ridden in a VERY quick track car on BIG slicks with about 550HP. I am here to tell ya that that was REALLY an eye opener. TWICE that much power. Come on........Most of us would wreck the thing in two laps...if that long and be lucky not to get killed if we tried to use that much power.

4 to 1 power to weight ratios 500hp/2000lbs in a road race car is about all most people can handle. I don't want to offend but 2 to 1... or less???? get real.

There's a good many guys running 3:1 on the street, and figure an SLC loaded with goodies would weigh in at ~2500lbs at least. I don't think 2.5:1 isn't out of the realm of imagination. Of course much of it lies in the use of the car, but on a lonely straight and with a boatload of downforce, that 2.5:1 would get mighty interesting.

There's a good many guys running 3:1 on the street, and figure an SLC loaded with goodies would weigh in at ~2500lbs at least. I don't think 2.5:1 isn't out of the realm of imagination. Of course much of it lies in the use of the car, but on a lonely straight and with a boatload of downforce, that 2.5:1 would get mighty interesting.

I would like to see these 3:1 street cars for myself. The ones i see at cruse night are full out drag cars that have huge stall speeds on their torque converters making them an 'event' to drive on the street.

Think how much harder the rest of the car has to work to hold 1000hp... your going to need 1000hp brakes, a 1000hp clutch and transmission, not to mention the rest of the drive line.

With Supras, the 6 speeds are known to hold 1500rwhp+ reliably. If anything the center casing tends to split on an an extremely hard launch. Usually triple plate clutches are used, I was running a triple bronze for years, and I know of many that run triple carbon Tilton clutches. The driveshafts last but with even a hint of wheel hop they twist like a pretzel. Many people go thick wall steel of CF. The rear end and axles are good to every bit 1500rwhp, however some replace their stock LSD with a TRD because if a TRD fails, it doesn't launch you into a guard rail. Other than that you'd be surprised how quickly the HP can rise on these cars. Back in 2002, I held the stock bottom end HP record at 894rwhp, but 4 days later a gent in Texas beat that by going 931rwhp. That's as near as makes no difference 1100HP at the brake. I also had 198,xxx miles on my car when I sold it, and it was used as a daily dirver.

I would like to see these 3:1 street cars for myself. The ones i see at cruse night are full out drag cars that have huge stall speeds on their torque converters making them an 'event' to drive on the street.

Think how much harder the rest of the car has to work to hold 1000hp... your going to need 1000hp brakes, a 1000hp clutch and transmission, not to mention the rest of the drive line.

It's not that hard when you're boosted and you got a silly curve like

nick_supra_dyno.gif

100rwhp, (2krpm)120rwhp, (3krpm) 150rwhp (4krpm), 300rwhp (5krpm), 432908743278943278743298*e^(123215432893) (5.5+k rpm)

Personally, there's no fun in a car that you have to wring the snot out of it to get it to move, and it can only REALLY move at high speeds (hence the saying 'how are a 400rwhp and a 800rwhp supra similar' answer: 'they both run 13s in the 1/4', or why a lot of supras want to run you from a 80mph roll, lol )

The more I research the LS7, the more impressive it seems. Guys on Corvetteforum are reporting that with a proper tune a stock bottom end motor is surviving 900-1000rwhp blasts, and that's in a car that's 1/4 heavier than the SLC. That's hugely impressive.

Back