Where are the Gulf GT 40's ??

Martin Colvill and Bobby Bell own (or did own until a few years ago, not seen them to ask recently) a pair of them in their Lotus Main Dealers just outside Guildford in Surrey, along with a Maserati 250F and some other fantastic creations.

D.

You would have to define Gulf Cars. 1049 is in the Collier Museum. 1074 was owned by Bernie Carl in Washington DC last I knew, 1075 is Rob Waltons in Nevada, 1076 is owned by Harry Yeaggy in Ohio and 1084 is Sir Anthony Bamfords in the UK

Thanks.....do you know if 1075 is on display or can otherwise be seen ?....I suspect the only cars you mentioned that I will have the opportunity to see are those in the US.

Archie's car, with the original 289 back in it, was at Lime Rock this past Labor Day weekend for the Historic Races and Concourse and you may see it on the left coast,don't know. As far as an original Gulf car visiting your area........?

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
Most likely place to see one would be on the race track at Laguna Seca, which is where they were in 2003. Neither 1074 nor 1075 are in museums, they are in private collections and don't appear too often. You are better off trying to get a look at some of the GT40s that are in museum collections that are open to the public: the Simeone collection, the Shelby American museum in Colorado. I don't know if Miles Collier's collection is open to the public, but he has some original GT40s from the 60s race era. You should look in the SAAC registry which is the best and most complete list of the cars and who owns them.

Thanks Jim...I have seen several of the original cars...I was just hoping that 1075 was in a museum out here...thanks again..bart

1075 was recently at Laguna Seco for the Historics...I spend some time up close admiring it...

what serial number is this one that was at Road America for the reunion? was it originally a gulf car?

well I just answered my own questions by looking at the pic I have of the serial number plate - 1086

Attachments

• IMG_1252small.JPG
    IMG_1252small.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 778
Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Mike, I got to see 1075 up close back in the early 90s. At that time I had no idea what history was behind it, I wish now I could go back in time and ask for a ride. Rob has a wealth of knowledge of historic cars and is one hell of a driver and just a down to earth guy.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
1075 was recently at Laguna Seco for the Historics...I spend some time up close admiring it...

what serial number is this one that was at Road America for the reunion? was it originally a gulf car?

well I just answered my own questions by looking at the pic I have of the serial number plate - 1086

It is 1086 that was first owned by Peter DeSilva. It has some "Gulf" features but was never a Gulf team car in fact the chassis was not finished until the early 1980s.

Has a Boss 302 in it. At RA the car had a throttle cable issue that Randall worked on with a little help from me (well, I pushed the pedal down while he lubed the cable)

Strange to find that question, where can you see the 1075?

2 years in a row (2010, 2011) I have seen it at Wengler Racing here in Luxembourg during the Luxembourg AutoFestival. It was almost unprotected and I still can not believe that they showed it like this. (I was very worried when kids were playing just next to it).

4361726465_bcc3e71664.jpg

6021786560_4c4244e64a.jpg

P.S.: Since this is the official Ford importer and a respected house for race preparation, I do not expect them to lie on the genuineness of the car.

Anybody has a reference on the price this car went last sale, I seem to remember that it broke all records since it was a GT40 and won Le Mans in '68 and '69.

I'm pretty certain that is a Roaring Forties replica. P1075 is virtually unrestored and has never had a Ford badge on the nose. Also the roof line extending over the door shows it is a replica.

A replica would explain how they put it in the open like that (they should have mentioned it to my feeling, certainly at an importer).

Sorry Vince, but even to this novice's eye I can see that's not 1075. I don't think 1075 would have added the weight of a door lock....could be wrong though.

It also has a twin vent nostril whereas 1075 had a single vent.

I also believe 1075 doesn't have side mirrors.

And I believe 1075 only has a filler cap on the RHS.

And it is missing the lights for the door meatball ...

Ian

Back