SPF Numbers

Salina Bailey

Supporter
Hi all, new here. would like a little info on how the numbers on the MK II work. I see threads on here talking about cars with P in the beginning of the number. example P2216. is that in the VIN or is that that particular cars own number? (if that makes any sense lol) We have an SPF GT40 on its way, bought it used. trying to make sense of the vin number/number thing.

ours doesnt have a P in it... SPFGT0007

I'm a little confused by your post. If your VIN actually is SPFGT0007 it doesn't make sense. All SPF cars are in the 2000 series i.e. P2216. Does your VIN plate on the left firewall actually have that number or is that what is on the title? Do they match? What state was it originally titled in? What part of Washington are you ?

Your car sounds like mine. I have serial number P2120, but the car came without a VIN plate installed. After asking SPF, I was given a blank and could have stamped anything on it. The VIN plate has GT40P/ printed on it and I stamped "2120" in the blank area.

Given that you have a MKII and a low potential serial number, I think maybe you have one from the first batch of cars and someone made the VIN plate you describe in order to get the car registered. After the first batch I think probably all subsequent cars came with the VIN plate installed.

If I am right (which is seldom), your serial number could actually be P2107. Where is your VIN plate installed? Can you shoot a picture and post it?

There are P20XX cars that replicate a specific chassis for a premium, and there are P21XX and subsequent serial numbers for those others.

Last edited:

Salina Bailey

Supporter
I'm a little confused by your post. If your VIN actually is SPFGT0007 it doesn't make sense. All SPF cars are in the 2000 series i.e. P2216. Does your VIN plate on the left firewall actually have that number or is that what is on the title? Do they match? What state was it originally titled in? What part of Washington are you ?

I am just figuring some of this out. the car is on its way here. should arrive next week. It was in Houston texas. they sent the VIN number for paperwork purposes and that is the VIN. I just read somewhere else that the VIN and the serial number dont necassarily match. The car was at a dealership and they said SPF would be sending the title and paperwork on the car. I am going to have to wait to find out what state it was titled in.
I just found this forum and see that there are a couple people with GT40's around here! We are east of Everett :)
Will take lots of pics when it gets here and probably a video. We are pretty excited!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Your car sounds like mine. I have serial number P2120, but the car came without a VIN plate installed. After asking SPF, I was given a blank and could have stamped anything on it. The VIN plate has GT40P/ printed on it and I stamped "2120" in the blank area.

Given that you have a MKII and a low potential serial number, I think maybe you have one from the first batch of cars and someone made the VIN plate you describe in order to get the car registered. After the first batch I think probably all subsequent cars came with the VIN plate installed.

If I am right (which is seldom), your serial number could actually be P2107. Where is your VIN plate installed? Can you shoot a picture and post it?

There are P20XX cars that replicate a specific chassis for a premium, and there are P21XX and subsequent serial numbers for those others.
Give yourself some credit Mike, I think your right!

Make sure to post some pictures, this would be one of the earliest cars I know of.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
I think I can help you!

I recently got a copy of the Shelby Registry, in it they talk a great deal about SPF and the start of the GT40 production.

I did not know this, but it seems that Hi Teck Automotive (SPF is the US importer) started building the "SPFGT" several years ago and it was Safir who after seeing the quality of their builds, went to them with a plan to licence the cars, allow them to be called GT40 and give them P#s.

In the Shelby registry they talk about the first few SPF cars not haveing P#s, you must have one of the very first built (I cant remember the number built before Safir joined) I will check tonight.

Last edited:
I am sure you will! any particular place to look for events? searched Washington state on here and didnt come up with much.
Looking forward to seeing your MkII. There are at least 12 GT40's in the Seattle-Portland areas. We need to organize a gathering at a Historic event at either PIR or Pacific Raceways this summer.

Salina Bailey

Supporter
If there is a meet of some sort this summer please let me know, Would be fun to bring the car and have some fun.
We do drive our cars, its no fun to keep them hiding in the garage or inside a trailer. We have them to enjoy so they do get driven. My other half almost flew to Texas so he could drive it home. It is his car and I will get him signed up on here so he can tell you more about it. He has a Pantera that he has been working on for 9 years. its almost out of the body shop and ready for assembly. cant wait for that one either.
Anyway I will load up a pic of the GT40, the paperwork should be here soon and then we will know more about the vin and serial numbers. its quite possible that someone picked their own vin number...007? the dealership told us this car was used in an epsiode of dream car garage and sent some photos of it being filmed. they said it was an 09 car and has 1600 miles on it. Maybe someone on here recognizes which car it is? It does say SPF GT on the side stripe.

gt4010.jpg

gt4014.jpg

Salina Bailey

Supporter

Mystery solved, SpyderMike you win a prize! they called to tell us it was loaded and on its way so we got more info. it is car P2107 put together in 06 by Olthoff. Belonged to SPF distributor in Louisiana.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Red I was at Olthoffs last week and he was telling me about a car in Louisiana that he had prepared that was for sale, he said it was in good shape. This has to be that car but he didn't say it was in Texas... He also had a beautiful MK3 in the showroom for sale for $50k completed and sorted out. My dream would be to have a Daytona Couple, GT40 Mk1 and Mk2 and the cobra all side by side in my garage. ......I said it was a dream.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Red,

Spydermike is correct, I looked up P2107 in the Shelby registry and there was a picture of your car and it even talked about being on Dream Car Garage!

For those of you who have not seen the Shelby Registry, it is a very large book $200+ and covers all the Cobras, Kirkham, SPF, all the GT40s Holman, Safir and SPF (this addition only goes to P2244 so I'll have to wait for the next addition to see my car). It has a wealth of very interesting info about all these cars and much more.

Be careful as there are two+ additions, one Vol 1 covers Cobras/GT40, I think Vol 2 covers Mustangs and Tigers?

Red,
If you can get the car titled as a 2009 year you will save yourself some headache. WA passed a new law last year with no smog testing for cars 2009 and on. WA used to allow 1960's replica registrations, but that changed.

Salina Bailey

Supporter
Red I was at Olthoffs last week and he was telling me about a car in Louisiana that he had prepared that was for sale, he said it was in good shape. This has to be that car but he didn't say it was in Texas... He also had a beautiful MK3 in the showroom for sale for $50k completed and sorted out. My dream would be to have a Daytona Couple, GT40 Mk1 and Mk2 and the cobra all side by side in my garage. ......I said it was a dream.

It sounds like it was the same car. as the dealership said it belonged to Doug Reed, SPF dealer in LA. The OH gets excited about MK IV's and I find we live about 15 miles from someone building one. how cool is that? careful with that dreamin stuff...it got us about 20+ cars every time someone dreamed around here!! :shocked:

Back