Some info please if anyone can help.

Excuse me if I am out of place. I am trying to find any photos or records of ownership of original GT 40 race cars. My late brother in law and my late sister were the owners at one time of a MK I, a MK II and MK III at the same time and later a MK IV GT 40. As far as we can tell all pictures and records were lost during Huricane Katrina except for one picture. My brother and I were curious if there are any photos and ownership records that we could just see for sentimental purposes only. I know my brother in law(Andy Harmon) had one article about him and the MK I in a national car magazine but I don't know which one. He was listed as being in Hattiesburg, Ms. in the article though he really lived in Gautier,Ms. He used his hometown because he didn't want the true location known. I would appreciate any help in finding out about his cars and where they are now and what they are worth etc. He also owned a Lola T70 that was a camera car for the movie Gran Prix. He owned several Cobras and Shelby Mustangs too.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Sherman,

Ronnie Spain has a GT40 book that covers most cars and owners over the years.

Also, the book "The Ford that beat Ferrari" covers most of the cars and owners as well. There may be more and I'm sure someone will post them. This is a great book by the way!

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
...My late brother in law and my late sister were the owners at one time of a MK I, a MK II and MK III at the same time and later a MK IV GT 40. ...He also owned a Lola T70 that was a camera car for the movie Gran Prix. He owned several Cobras and Shelby Mustangs too.

Sherman -- The GT40 community being a rather small one I would think anyone with that ownership history would be well known. So if you were to mention their names you might get some immediate information right from this forum. The key is knowing the 4-digit serial numbers of the cars but someone here might know that given the names of the owners.

My brother in law was Andy Harmon of

Hattiesburg, Ms. and lived for most of his adult life in Gautier,Ms or Ocean Springs, Ms. His full name was Charles Green Andrews Harmon. My sister was Bonnie Elaine Miller Harmon. SHe may have been the technical owner of one or more of the cars. I remember Andy saying that there were only 5 maybe MK IVs in the world and he was amazed that he could get one. I took pictures of the MK II, MKIII and MKIV all side by side with Andy in the street between our houses when the MKIV was delivered. He swapped the other two for it. No one can find those pictures either. The MKI was almost totally hand rebuilt in the early 1970's by Andy. He sold it to someone in England I believe. He was quite an investment collector with coins,guns and other things and was a superb musician also. Sadly, almost nothing survived the storm.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Re: My brother in law was Andy Harmon of

...Andy saying that there were only 5 maybe MK IVs in the world and he was amazed that he could get one....

This wasn't hard... he owned GT40 Mk IV #J3: see page 310 of Ronnie Spain's book, or look at:

http://books.google.com/books?id=5S...&resnum=5&ved=0CDQQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q&f=false

Here he is listed as the last owner. But another thread from this forum:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/original-gt40s/28046-mk-iv-j-3-race-ownership-history.html

notes where it is now (Nick Soprano of Motor Classic in White Plains, New York) and points out quite correctly that the SAAC Registry tracks ownership of GT40s to the current day.

And as for other GT40s he owned...... read the following from this very forum in which he is mentioned:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/race-track/14594-fakes-gt-40-a.html

Another car #1065 is mentioned with his name at

http://www.wsrp.ic.cz/chassis/chassis_ford.html

I found these simply by googling "Andy Harmon GT40" and "GT40 Mk IV Harmon". Google is your friend.

Last edited:
Excuse me if I am out of place. I am trying to find any photos or records of ownership of original GT 40 race cars. My late brother in law and my late sister were the owners at one time of a MK I, a MK II and MK III at the same time and later a MK IV GT 40. As far as we can tell all pictures and records were lost during Huricane Katrina except for one picture. My brother and I were curious if there are any photos and ownership records that we could just see for sentimental purposes only. I know my brother in law(Andy Harmon) had one article about him and the MK I in a national car magazine but I don't know which one. He was listed as being in Hattiesburg, Ms. in the article though he really lived in Gautier,Ms. He used his hometown because he didn't want the true location known. I would appreciate any help in finding out about his cars and where they are now and what they are worth etc. He also owned a Lola T70 that was a camera car for the movie Gran Prix. He owned several Cobras and Shelby Mustangs too.

I'm sorry to hear of Andy's passing. I worked with him in my first job after college, he was a great guy. I remember the first time I met Andy he was walking past my desk and saw something laying on it that indicated I was into cars. He stopped and pulled out a photo of the Mk IV and asked me if I knew what kind of car it was. I looked at the photo and said, "That's a GT40 Mk IV!" Andy was blown away, he said that people sometimes recognized it as a GT40 but the average person wasn't familiar enough with them to identify it as a Mk IV. From that point on I was OK as far as Andy was concerned. Over time he told me about the cars he had owned and how he came to own the Mk IV, he was an interesting person and never minded taking the time to talk about the Cobras and GT40s he had owned.

I moved away from the Gulf coast in 1987 and never talked to Andy again but I've never forgotten the man or that car. I'm sorry if this is rambling and slightly off-topic but I just ran across this and wanted to offer my sympathies to the family on his passing and to share my story of the man.

Back