Fakes GT 40

Who Known about the history of the fake 1012 who was enter at Le Mans Classic when the real one was refused.

And anybody have a photo of Chassis 1079 destroyed at Le Mans 1968, now a fake was built by Sbarro and raced also at Le Mans Classic ?

Hi Bruno

I understand that the owners of both P1012's are in litigation at present. From what I was told this situation occurred after the original chassis was cut up apparently in a junk yard.
Part of the original chassis sits in my work shop in a very rusty condition, its the right hand side of the engine bay.

If this helps to prove this dispute then get in touch

Regards
Chris.

Hi Bruno

This was from a post I made a little while ago. It includes the edited story of 1012 when Symbolic Car Co had one of the cars up for sale (with a little help from Ronnie Spain). Symbolic has actually sold both 1012s in their time! And yet Mr Melia now owns a real bit of it!:

The original P1012 was completed late in 1965.

The February 1967 running of the 24 Hours Daytona was chassis 1012's last race, but not the last time the car would appear at this track. Less than two months later, chassis 1012 was back at Daytona for high speed testing. The car was being driven by Peter Revson who unfortunately had a horrific crash with the car. A recently installed roll-bar probably contributed greatly to the fact that Revson walked away from the accident.

The damaged car was returned to Shelby American Incorporated but deemed beyond economic repair. In 1969, the entire damaged car was sold to Don Davis, a California resident of nearby San Francisco. Davis disassembled the car and removed the original and heavily damaged tub. On August 2nd, 1971 he was able to purchase an unused factory tub from JWA. This tub should have been completed in sequence as GT40 P/1110 but was never built or numbered as such.

Davis completed the restoration of chassis 1012 with the new original replacement tub and shortly thereafter began racing it in a variety of historic gatherings. The car was most frequently seen at the Monterey Historic Races where Davis ran the car every year without missing an event from 1975 until 1991 when it was acquired by Stanley Ross of Columbus, Ohio. In Stan's hands, the car was actively and aggressively raced in a variety of historic events though out the United States. The car has been featured in a variety of publications and was on the cover of Victory Lane Magazine in March of 1996.

After Davis completed the restoration of chassis 1012, he was left with the original destroyed tub of the original car. Davis eventually got rid of the scrapped tub by giving it away to his friend Lyle Digness. Digness did nothing with it and eventually sold it to Walter Cantrell of Napa, California. He also did nothing with the car until agreeing to sell it to Wayne Skyles of Oakland, California. By this time the value of GT40's was on a steady rise. Because of the way in which GT40's were built, many tubs were showing severe signs of corrosion damage by the late 1970's and early 1980's. Further attrition do to accidents caused the values of good original cars to rise dramatically. Even a scrapped out damaged tub now had some value and as such, Skyles shipped the remnants of the tub in his possession to Brian Wingfield in England for evaluation for restoration. Eventually about 1/3 of the tub was cut apart and reused in the construction of an all new car built along the lines of the original chassis 1012. A new roof structure, all new floors, and new front substructure were added to the repaired fuel sponsons, all of which were attached to the original rear bulkhead.

The construction of this second GT40, s/n 1012, was completed and the car sold to Andrew Harmon in 1981. Harmon imported the car to his home in Halliesburg, Mississippi. Three years later, the car was sold to Nick Soprano of White Plains, NY. In 1986, Nick sold the car to Stan Cleva of Glenshaw, PA. In 1987, this car was heavily damaged in an historic race at Summit Point, WV. Repairs were eventually completed in 1989 and the car quickly passed through several owners including Ed Hubbard and then Rick Cole until being acquired by Symbolic Motor Car Company in 1994. In 1995, Symbolic sold this car to Jean-Pierre Grave who imported the car to France where it has remained ever since.

So ends the tale of one particular GT40 becoming two.

Ownership

GT40 P/1012 Ownership History Car One:

1965 Shelby American International
1969 Don Davis
1991 Stanley Ross
2003 Symbolic Motor Car Company

GT40 P/1012 Ownership History Car Two:

1971 Lyle Digness
1973 Walter Cantrell
1976 Wayne Skyles
1981 Andrew Harmon
1984 Nick Soprano
1986 Stan Cleva
1989 Ed Hubbard
1994 Rick Cole
1994 Symbolic Motor Car Company
1995 Jean-Pierre Grave

I hope this helps.

Cheers!

Rob

Tyhank You very much, but how we can see if Winfield really use part of the wreck or simply built a new car ( like he did many times ) No photos exsist ? Strange no ?
Thank

I am not getting involved in any litigation. But I have photos of 1012 taken when Brian Wingfield was building it. As far as I know it went to America for auction and came back fire damaged. (Re :Ronnie Spain). I thought that the yellow MkII that I have pictures of at Ed Hubbards was 1047 Claiming to be the Rheims winner?

Here are pictures of 'both' 1012's,engine bays, I took these
in 2002,

Attachments

• 46661-DSCF0086web.JPG
    46661-DSCF0086web.JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 1,019
Just to correct a few things. I shipped to John Etheridge for rebuild
he was moving at a snails pace so I had Wingfield finish it.
He did most of the rebuild/restoration.

I am not getting involved in any litigation. But I have photos of 1012 taken when Brian Wingfield was building it. As far as I know it went to America for auction and came back fire damaged. (Re :Ronnie Spain). I thought that the yellow MkII that I have pictures of at Ed Hubbards was 1047 Claiming to be the Rheims winner?

Wingfield finished it in yellow.(1012)

Back