Greetings from Calhoun, Ga USA

My name is Alan Gayton and I live in Calhoun Ga. I work as a technology director for the education system here in Georgia. Other than an interest in cars, I do competition BBQ in the KCBS pro circuit, and practice karate. I just turned 50 and realized its time to start working towards my dreams.

Growing up, my dad raced SCCA so I was around a lot of cool cars. He ran an MG Midget with a Ford v6 that was quite fun to drive. As I grew into a teen, this lead me to an appreciation of cars like Cobras, Lamborghinis, and the like. Then one day, I found a copy of Kit Car magazine with an ERA GT 40. I was hooked! I have wanted one ever since. I have had an MGB and recently sold my 2015 Camaro but I just can't shake the dream of a GT 40. I don't have the money and won't anytime soon. However, I figure I can go ahead and start learning, planning, and saving. I figure the only way to get there is set a goal.

What I want:
My favorite look is the MK I GT 40 with dual nostrils. I want it to be blue with white stripes. IF I did it today, I would go with an RCR Deluxe Plus. I want to build the car, and I think that level of kit would fit my skill level (as long as I farm out the painting). I am not interested in racing and want as simple and low cost build as I can, so I don't plan on straying too far from the recommended setup. I will probably do a 302 crate with a recommended transmission. The one area where I will stray a bit is in comfort. I want this to be as comfortable/convenient/refined as possible (for a GT 40) so I will put a bit more in things like sound absorption, back up camera, remote side mirrors, cup holders :cool:, and the like. I realize it is a raw car and that's fine but since my intended use is strictly street, I want it optimized a bit for such.

The pic is my dad's MG with me and my best friend back in high school. You can see why I like my color choices.

Attachments

• WP_20150220_002.jpg
    WP_20150220_002.jpg
    261.6 KB · Views: 125

Brian Kissel

Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Very nice introduction Alan. Keep reading the forum and the build threads. Take lots of notes, and perhaps the perfect opportunity will drop in your lap when you least expect it.
Enjoy the forum.

Regards Brian

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Welcome to GT40s.com, Alan! Great introduction! I’m sure we have all the knowledge you’re going to need to move forward in your quest... Feel free to ask questions and share as you find yourself able..

Back